1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

anyway to modify and then install an apk on a non rooted phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jasonb, May 2, 2010.

1. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i know this isn't the incredible section but it will work the same on the droid, if it works at all of course.

now is there any way for me to edit an apk and then install it on a non rooted phone? i want to change the widget background for the feedr (rss feeds) widget. it is now white and i want to change it to a smoked glass background. i tried simply replacing the picture and then installing it but it would not install. i keep reading something about resigning the apk. the phone is obviously not rooted so i can't just adb push it on.

is there anyway i can do this?
  2. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

well, if you modified the apk already and tried installing that from the sdcard and it didnt work, I would look more into resigning it. thats the only way i know of on a non-rooted phone. Did you rename the apk to a zip, unzip it, replace the pic and just rezip and rename to apk? Try just renaming the apk to a .zip, and replace the pic without unzipping it (if thats what you did), then rename to .apk again. From what i've seen, actually unzipping it can sometimes mess it up.
  3. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 New Member

Here ya go!

I posted this thread,

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/27387-how-resign-apk-files-after-modding-them.html

this SHOULD work on Non-rooted phones, but only with apps that arent in the /system/app folder, as you don't have access and the phone will try to overwrite it.

But as long as you're not trying to modify an app that came with the phone it should work, as you're just re-signing an apk, as far as the phone knows, it's a completely stock app, and you'll just need to install like any other non-market .apk

Good luck, let me know if you have success.
  4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

not working. i tried both methods described in that thread and still no go. it still won't let me install it.

anybody want to try it for me?
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. kevdog

kevdog New Member

What tool did you use to resign the apk? Please be more specific
  6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Search tags for this page
android font changer without root
can use .apk for s4 font
font apk for no root

font changer apk no root