Anyway to keep SD clean?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by guardianali, Jun 15, 2010.

1. guardianali

guardianali New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use my SD card often and like to keep movies in Movies folder, music in Music folder..etc..basically keep my data nicely organized for consumption later with approriate programs.

But when I look in the SD card in windows, there are dozens of app created folders.

Is there a way to make android create a Program Files like directory like windows so all app data can go into it??

2. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I know of, but I know what you mean the sdcard looks like hell. I wish there was a way to do this also because Im Anal when it comes to having stuff look nice on my computer (Id rather have a directory tree 7 folders deep than have everything dumped into one folder)

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I haven't looked at it but I'm pretty amazed that I've used half of it. I have music on there but not what I would consider to be that much. I have moved some apps up there but only a few of the big ones would move. I got a few minutes now I think I'll take a closer look.

Put me on the list. An SD card cleaning app, or organizing app seems in order.

Edit: The more I thought about it the more I realized that just like my Mac there probably won't be much to "clean up" the SD card. The linux OS just doesn't require it, is what the general thinking is. There is another thought that with every update a partisan is created separating data, so if that's true then a method of defragmentation is what would be needed.

4. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its all tons of little things such as cache files and app specific settings and all other crap. some of the stuff is appended with a period so that it will be hidden in linux/unix based OSes but looks even worse in windows.

theres 41 folders and 7 files in the root of my sdcard of which 2 files and 6 folders were put there by myself!

5. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5
    +1 on that. I'm fast becoming over compulsive about the condition of my sd card. Some of the apps and even mobile web sites I swear write directly to it.

6. hahn

hahn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bash Script

I had the same problem and worked on it all last week.

I ended up using GScript (in the market) and Script Scheduler (in a google search)

to set up a small bash script that runs once a day (Scheduler) on from a shortcut on the homescreen (GScript)

here is the code:

Code:
    {
    mv /sdcard/com.tokasiki.android.voicerecorder/*.3gp /sdcard/"Computer Data"/"Voice Recorder"/ ;

mv /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/*.jpg /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Pictures/ ;

mv /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/*.3gp /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Video/ ;

cp /sdcard/download/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Downloads/ ;

mv /sdcard/FxCamera/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Pictures/ ;

mv /sdcard/iMusic/*.mp3 /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Music/ ;

mv /sdcard/mp3/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Music/ ;

mv /sdcard/"Music Junk"/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Music/ ;

mv /sdcard/TubeDownloader/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Video/ ;

mv /sdcard/Video/* /sdcard/"Computer Data"/Video/ ;
    }

Customizing the above should be self explanatory.

It can definitely be improved by adding an if/then/else statement to check whether the sd card is mounted, as well is including cache cleaning portions, but its beyond my skills.

But for the cache cleaning, there are other programs and scripts. I found a lot of help from the forum.xda-developers.com site, particularly this thread.

GScript * Easily launch/save shell scripts from within Android UI * - Useful scripts - xda-developers

If you do improve on the above, please let me know. I would love to have an all in one shortcut script.

7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hook, like you, I use a Mac. Another member was kind enough to inform me that the Mac OS creates files on the SD card. Specifically, the trashes/501 folder. If you open some files you will see the Mac OS X embedded. Not sure why this is necessary so I have deleted without any issues.

Mike

Search tags for this page
android sdcard cleaner mac
how to clean a sd card
how to clean sd card

how to clean up sd card on mac

sd card cleaner imac
sd card partisan apps for android