Anything backup the ENTIRE Droid?

slinky

Reaction score
I'm wondering if in all the ingenuity put into Android, whether there is an application that backs up ALL the data in a phone. Let's say you get a new phone and you had a money app, a password app, etc. and all that data is in the phone. Obviously I'd like to backup the entire phone, not just contacts. Is there a way to go about doing this so you can easily restore on a new phone?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
There is a couple different ways this could go.

Most apps keep their data on your SD card, you could manually make a copy of your SD card every so often.

The only thing I know for sure does exactly what you are asking for is a app for rooted phones only: Titanium Backup

Taegost

Reaction score
If you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup, it's saved my ass many times when playing with custom ROMs.
If you're not, I've heard MyBackup Pro works well, but I can't attest to it's ability to restore data.

JP: I'm not sure what you mean by "most apps keep their data on your SD card", most of mine don't. At least, not my important ones, anyway.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I'm wondering if in all the ingenuity put into Android, whether there is an application that backs up ALL the data in a phone. Let's say you get a new phone and you had a money app, a password app, etc. and all that data is in the phone. Obviously I'd like to backup the entire phone, not just contacts. Is there a way to go about doing this so you can easily restore on a new phone?

Nandroid would be able to do that...it comes when you install sprecovery over the stock recovery. It will backup the entire phone. You could take the backup off your sdcard, install sprecovery onto the new phone. Put the Nandroid backup file back onto your sdcard and restore.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
titanium is sweet, the scheduled backups are very nice too.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
My Backup Pro works well for non-rooted phones.

Thanks guys - I own this. When I looked at what MBP backs up, I noticed it's like a small fraction of the applications that I have. I'm wondering whether I'll be missing apps with data left on the phone if I used MBP.

Of additional note, I also think it's a horrible implementation with the cloud (and the Palm Pre is guilty of this too) where there is no Blackberry / iTunes sync where the entire phone data is backed up. This way, the data on your phone or card are easily and quickly backed up somewhere, no fear of corruption. The way Palm and Google implemented the cloud it's as if only contacts and datebook are important and everything else can be lost without a care in the world. Weird...