anyones call quality suck??

M

Matth3w

Actually, mine improved when I got the droid. Before I had to use a network extender, now I don't.

mersh21

Reaction score
I've only been told once i sound muffled....but my girl tells me that when i'm on speakerphone she can hear alot of background noise sometimes.

2amReply

Reaction score
I got problems in my calling area. I had to wait more than 2 weeks for them to give me anything on my first ticket. Im waiting on the status of my second ticket. If I had to choose, I would NOT renew my contract with Verizon. They claim great customer service, but showed me the opposite most of the time.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
outgoing quality complaints / possible solutions

Once in a while I am told that there is a terrible echo, garbling, or muffling on the other end of the line. Hitting the speakerphone button has cleared it up 100% of the time for me, as others have reported. Usually I just toggle speakerphone on and off to clear it up.

It also appears that rebooting every 3 days or so prevents the problem from occurring. You could also use bluetooth or speakerphone and you'd never hear about the problem from the people you are calling.

There are many threads on the motorola forums about this and they are investigating it. People have talked about replacing their phones several times only to have it happen again. This tells me, as a software developer, that there is a problem with the droid firmware. You might not notice it if you reboot regularly or use a bluetooth headset or speakerphone a lot.

There is a bug report on google code about this and I encourage everyone to go there and "star" this bug to vote on it:

Issue 5175 - android - Call quality on Droid is poor - Project Hosting on Google Code

Note, I am only talking about intermittent outgoing call quality. Changing phone settings (hidden or otherwise) does not solve this problem. Signal strength isn't the problem either. Holding the phone's mic closer in line with mouth may help.

solorca

Reaction score
The call quality on my phone is horrible. It will work well occasionally, but nearly everyone I call tells me that they can't understand me. I have found that if I hold the phone in certain positions, they can hear me better but it's still not great. Anytime I attempt to hold it like a normal phone (with the mouthpiece facing my mouth), it's impossible for the other party to hear me.

I've had Verizon phones for twelve years now, and this is the first time I've gotten constant complaints about the quality of my calls. I attempted to trade it in at Verizon, but they were unable to "replicate the problem" while I was there and refused to trade it in.

Dent6

Reaction score
I too have had my phone since they first came out. I love the phone, but it is not the best quality sound phone I have ever had. It does seem to be location related. Sometimes it is great other times not so. My Verizon Chocolate phone was much better.

boz347sc

Reaction score
Did you try going into the ##PROGRAM menu and changing your voice quality? I did it and it made the quality significantly clearer.

Dial ##7764762
Enter SPC password: 000000
Select 04 Vocode
Change it to EVRC-B
Hit Apply

You phone should reboot, but it might not. Reboot it just in case. :)

Not trying to jack the thread but I tried that with my DROID and I get a recording saying call can not be completed. Am I missing something?

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Did you try going into the ##PROGRAM menu and changing your voice quality? I did it and it made the quality significantly clearer.

Dial ##7764762
Select 04 Vocode
Change it to EVRC-B
Hit Apply

Not trying to jack the thread but I tried that with my DROID and I get a recording saying call can not be completed. Am I missing something?

Try ##7764726

Sent from Droid

boz347sc

Reaction score

Dial ##7764762
Select 04 Vocode
Change it to EVRC-B
Hit Apply

Try ##7764726

Sent from Droid

That worked. Thanks