anyones call quality suck??

wil318466

Reaction score
I've had my Motorola Droid for almost two weeks and the call quality sucks. The party I call can hear me fine but I get continual static on my end. Also the callers voice sounds muffled to the point i have to ask the caller to repeat what they are saying frequently. I love the phone, with all of its other abilities, but if it can't make a simple phone call. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if this next update changes this problem, if not then the phone is going back.

Something is really not right here. I think the call quality is very very good on the Droid, and from what you are describing it sounds like you have a hardware issue.

There are a few things you can try, change the EVDO settings, take off a case/cover if you have it, and make sure you aren't covering the 2nd mic on the back of the phone. But, if you tried all these and you still have problems, return it and get another, because something is wrong.

-Wil

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I've had my Motorola Droid for almost two weeks and the call quality sucks. The party I call can hear me fine but I get continual static on my end. Also the callers voice sounds muffled to the point i have to ask the caller to repeat what they are saying frequently. I love the phone, with all of its other abilities, but if it can't make a simple phone call. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if this next update changes this problem, if not then the phone is going back.
I had the same problem, returned the phone, got a new one, still same problem. Trust me its in the Droid itself, not location. I refuse to believe I got two bad phones, it has to be in all of them and only some people hear it.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had the same problem, returned the phone, got a new one, still same problem. Trust me its in the Droid itself, not location. I refuse to believe I got two bad phones, it has to be in all of them and only some people hear it.

GHawk, I've been using cell phones since they weighed 5 pounds and were called bag phones. I've used some phones with bad call quality performance and this phone is excellent. You think its more likely that over one million users can't hear this awful problem than that you got two bad phones or that it is location specific? Really? Really? Really? :icon_ banana:

Next time swap out the phone and don't leave the store until you are convinced the sound quality is ok. Good luck.

strobez395

Reaction score
My call quality turned horrible about a week ago...I've just been using headphones...I'll probably take it back, but I live in New York and I hear raised keyboards are slim around the US so I'm not sure haha.

SRR1138

Reaction score
My blue-tooth sounds fantastic. I prefer my plantronics 520 or my moto s305's over talking on the phone by a mile, same with my wifes droid. But it isn't that bad, I can still talk and be heard.

Reaction score
My call quality sounds really great. Especially when I plug in my normal stereo music headphones in and use that as a "hands-free-notso-free" solution.

Blizzard67

Reaction score
I've had my droid about two weeks and actually think the call quality has been about the best of the many phones I've had.

OP
R

RAINMAN

Reaction score
well verizon got back to me and stated since it only seems to be bad where i live, i'm on the outskirts of any towers and its not an issue with the phone itself. but none of my other phones ever did this :mad:

firstdue

Reaction score
Its has to be in the speaker on mine. I plug in a regular set of headphones and hear no static at all. With the speaker i hear constant static and voices sound like they have too much bass so they are muffled.

mantis5

Reaction score
well verizon got back to me and stated since it only seems to be bad where i live, i'm on the outskirts of any towers and its not an issue with the phone itself. but none of my other phones ever did this :mad:

Were you on Verizon before, with the other phones?

Momx6

Reaction score
My incoming call quality is great. But my outgoing calls, not so much. I've had several people tell me that I sound like I have a towel over the phone and/or that my words seem to be running together. Everyone who has complained to me said it's nowhere near as good as my old phone. I use my phone for business quite a bit, so that's not a good thing. I'm definitely going back to Verizon this week.

BTW, I'm thinking of switching to the Palm Pre Plus, but I just noticed on my receipt that there's a $35 restocking fee!! I've changed phones before and haven't been charged anything. Whatever happened to the "try it for 30 days?"

Dmoralize

Reaction score
There has to be some odd factor causing the bad quality. Because the call quality on my Droid is easily the best i've ever heard. And most of the reviews even cited the excellent sound quality as a major plus.

Then again, maybe i'm just in a good spot or something, but it sounds crystal clear which obviously makes me think the phone should be capable of that quality for everyone. Not sure what the disturbance would be, but it might be worth trying a different Droid.

Good luck!

Grey Hawk

Reaction score

GHawk, I've been using cell phones since they weighed 5 pounds and were called bag phones. I've used some phones with bad call quality performance and this phone is excellent. You think its more likely that over one million users can't hear this awful problem than that you got two bad phones or that it is location specific? Really? Really? Really? :icon_ banana:

Next time swap out the phone and don't leave the store until you are convinced the sound quality is ok. Good luck.

I did, I went through 4 phones there all had it, I finally said hell with it and took the current one I have just because of other reasons. :)

I have owned over 13 Verizon phones in my life, my first was in 96, with the green calculator screen, the pull out antenna, the whole deal as well. And I have never had a problem with static where I live. Granted I moved a few miles when I left my parents over the years, but still no problems. The Droid is the only one I have ever owned with static.

Oh and I maybe one of the few with static, but I have read numerous complaints about the person on the other end saying a Droid user sounds muffled.

http://www.google.com/search?q=droid+call+sound+muffled

So I refuse to believe these are all isolated. The Droid has some serious problems with call quality. But it may be amplified by location or some people may just not be able to hear it. If the person on the other end never says you sound muffled, how you gonna know?

Last edited:

Momx6

Reaction score
I exchanged my Droid for a new one today and the sound quality is still awful. Like Rainman, I live a ways from town and towers, so that might be it, but it wasn't a problem with my old phone. I had someone actually tell me they wanted to hang up today because they couldn't stand not being able to understand me.

If I exchange phones, I have to pay a $35 restock fee. That doesn't seem fair when the phone doesn't work for me where I live.