Anyone worried about the 3 year old GPU, no sd-card slot, lack of removable battery?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are already pictures of the GN showing the removable battery so we already know it has one. The battery has NFC capabilities I believe.

This is correct. I hope the NFC doesn't make the batteries painfully expensive. I also hope they have an inductive charging mat/battery for this phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is correct. I hope the NFC doesn't make the batteries painfully expensive. I also hope they have an inductive charging mat/battery for this phone.

That was what excited me most about the Bionic lol, but that seemed to have faded away.

I would still love to see inductive charging mats, I really think they are a step in the right direction for our wireless future.

EFGantry

Reaction score
The GNex does, in fact, have a removable battery. It has 32 gb internal storage, but no sdcard slot. as others have mentioned, the Nexus S did not have a sdcard, but is still easily hackable for custom recovery and roms. if it is a concern (and you don't like to use cloud storage), you can always get a connector cable/adapter and store all of your stuff on a flash drive - an "external" sdcard, if you will.

the GPU on the GNex, while the same as the one in the Razr (and many other, older devices), is clocked to 384 ghz, as compared to 304 ghz (i believe) on the Razr - about a 20-25% bump.

the GNex has NFC built in (it's in the batt). Razr doesn't have it. NFC requires a chip, and it's unknown whether the RAZR could be retrofitted with an NFC batt (like in the GNex).

veetvoojagig

Reaction score
384 ghz? :icon_eek: can I put one in my desktop as the CPU? I'm only running 2.9 ghz right now. :icon_ devil:

pdc419

Reaction score
This WAS going to be my next phone, but I may have to wait and see what comes out later. I can't update till the end of December anyway. Bummer about the gpu

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
the GNex has NFC built in (it's in the batt). Razr doesn't have it. NFC requires a chip, and it's unknown whether the RAZR could be retrofitted with an NFC batt (like in the GNex).

The battery for the Razr was custom created so that the device would be "razor" thin. Since it accepts Sdcards, the Razr could just use an sdcard with an embedded nfc chip. NFC is Google's baby, and this is why the GNex has it already included.

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. The GNEX has the same GPU as the RAZR but the only difference is the GNEX has a clock speed of +380 and the RAZR is +320 or something (slower)?

What GPU will be in the new HTC phone? and clock speed?

And also, what does it matter? Where will we be in 2 years needing to run super hi res games, apps? its not like these phones are ever going to be running anything over 1080p. its a cell phone. Thoughts?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. The GNEX has the same GPU as the RAZR but the only difference is the GNEX has a clock speed of +380 and the RAZR is +320 or something (slower)?

And also, what does it matter? Where will we be in 2 years needing to run super hi res games, apps? its not like these phones are ever going to be running anything over 1080p. its a cell phone. Thoughts?

I can't speak on the HTC device because I don't know. What I can say is, the GNEX gpu should be more that sufficient to do most anything you could ask of it. The specs on the gpu really come down to bragging rights. You'll be hard pressed to find any significant difference in side-by-side comparisons to devices with better spec'd gpu's. I'm confident that in two years, your Nexus will still be running with the pack.

ezizzle95

Reaction score
it definitly has a removable battery. I forget where I saw it but some website was at the event and they took all kinds of pictures of it with the battery cover off and what not.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can play all the games I play on my OG, I imagine the Nexus will work just fine for myself, so I'm not too worried personally.

I'm sure there are some graphically intense games I haven't played, or ones that will be released in the next 2 years for sure, but I find it hard to believe that there are that many games that will make the Nexus struggle.

I think they should have definitely gone with a newer GPU, because they could have kept from having to overclock and prevented battery drain by using the newer GPUs. But as for performance, I don't think it will matter.

This is the first 720P screen though, so only time will tell.

squeak

Reaction score

A few years ago 720p would have been a seemingly unattainable resolution for a cell phone. I think we'll see at least 1080 within the next couple of years. The ipad3 is expected to have a "retina display" and if they follow the trend of the iphone it will be double the pixles in each direction equating to a 2048x1536 display, and surly an android tablet will come out soon after boasting an equal or better display. With ICS tablets and phones will be sharing more technology so I would not think it was far fetched for things go well beyond the 1080 mark for phones much sooner than you might think. Can't the bionic already output a 1080p signal through the HDMI? If so that's still using the gpu, even if it's not the device's screen that its displayed on.

Reaction score
I can't speak on the HTC device because I don't know. What I can say is, the GNEX gpu should be more that sufficient to do most anything you could ask of it. The specs on the gpu really come down to bragging rights. You'll be hard pressed to find any significant difference in side-by-side comparisons to devices with better spec'd gpu's. I'm confident that in two years, your Nexus will still be running with the pack.

Liked and GO COUGS!