Anyone worried about the 3 year old GPU, no sd-card slot, lack of removable battery?

jerroedr

Reaction score
so as far as upcoming phones, the prime is the way to go by almost all measures. Only thing ill want is my free wifi teathering

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
so as far as upcoming phones, the prime is the way to go by almost all measures. Only thing ill want is my free wifi teathering

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll have your free wifi tethering. Unless Google specifically removed this ability from ICS, Verizon has no say in the matter.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, you'll have your free wifi tethering. Unless Google specifically removed this ability from ICS, Verizon has no say in the matter.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Verizon has the ability to redirect traffic coming through a wireless tethering app.

leakim13

Reaction score
Wonder if there's a radiocomm program out there for samsung like there is for motorola... if so that won't be an issue.

Sent from my POS DROID2 GLOBAL that I never wanted and wish would explode.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to use the wireless Tether that came packaged in the UD rom's back when they were on 2.5ish... It's been a few months now, but I'm pretty sure the last time I tried it, I got bumped to a page with details on pricing and plans for Verizon's tethering packages... after that I went to PDAnet and just wire tether the rare times I need to get on.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to use the wireless Tether that came packaged in the UD rom's back when they were on 2.5ish... It's been a few months now, but I'm pretty sure the last time I tried it, I got bumped to a page with details on pricing and plans for Verizon's tethering packages... after that I went to PDAnet and just wire tether the rare times I need to get on.

This is what I've been using on my OG Droid with zero issues.

Edit: Maybe it makes a difference, I'm not sure, but I'm running an older build, 2.0.7, the newest is 3.1.

Last edited:

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the bionic problems hit me yesterday and last night after owning it for almost 2 weeks. I had to do 5 battery pulls, I never had to do that before. So, this morning I flashed a rom. I'm hoping that will take care of it for now, but what would happen if I had a phone that froze up on me and couldn't pull the battery? :icon_eek:

sent from my liberated bionic running transparent Droid forums

akhi216

Reaction score
The GPU issue might be a problem. It's saddening IMO because one of the feature that ICS will bring is GPU acceleration. Because of this I'm leaning toward waiting for a non-G Nex phone that has an up to date GPU and just dealing with the Blurs/Senses/TWs. This is the reason that I passed on the Nexus S, it had old tech that new features in the software weren't able to completely utilize. I'd rather have hardware that will eventually have it's software catch up with it than have hardware that doesn't push any boundaries hardware-wise with up to date software.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The GPU issue might be a problem. It's saddening IMO because one of the feature that ICS will bring is GPU acceleration. Because of this I'm leaning toward waiting for a non-G Nex phone that has an up to date GPU and just dealing with the Blurs/Senses/TWs. This is the reason that I passed on the Nexus S, it had old tech that new features in the software weren't able to completely utilize. I'd rather have hardware that will eventually have it's software catch up with it than have hardware that doesn't push any boundaries hardware-wise with up to date software.

I don't think you will ever be getting a Nexus device then. The entire idea behind the Nexus phones are to have "tried-and-true" hardware that the dev's know are stable and play really well with the software they are debuting. Nexuses (Nexii) are not a platform for revolutionary or leading edge hardware, but quite the opposite which allows enough time with the hardware for the devs to fully optimize the new software to run like a hot knife through an Ice Cream Sandwich.

akhi216

Reaction score
I don't think you will ever be getting a Nexus device then. The entire idea behind the Nexus phones are to have "tried-and-true" hardware that the dev's know are stable and play really well with the software they are debuting. Nexuses (Nexii) are not a platform for revolutionary or leading edge hardware, but quite the opposite which allows enough time with the hardware for the devs to fully optimize the new software to run like a hot knife through an Ice Cream Sandwich.

Good points but the Nexus One was a little ahead of it's time as evidenced by HTC continuously recycling it (Dinc, Desire, Desire Z, etc).

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good points but the Nexus One was a little ahead of it's time as evidenced by HTC continuously recycling it (Dinc, Desire, Desire Z, etc).

Very True... I wonder if we will ever see a device that is such a leap ahead like that again.... I doubt it unless it is by a breakout company looking to really turn some heads.

akhi216

Reaction score
Very True... I wonder if we will ever see a device that is such a leap ahead like that again.... I doubt it unless it is by a breakout company looking to really turn some heads.

Agreed. I suspect that it will be LG since they were first to the market with a dual-core processor in the phones. I can imagine them being first to the market with a quad-core processor in their phone.