anyone using the new kraken/trident case/what are your thoughts?

hemi1300

Reaction score
just ordered one in black/black, nervous if this will be the right one. Currently i keep switching btwn the commuter/incipio. Incipio fits like a glove and is very sleek/slim, worried about how much protection it will really provide though bc i work in construction. I like the commuter, but dust keeps getting packed all around the hard buttons bc it is not a tight fit at the bottom silicone piece. Hopefully the trident is the last case i buy, just worried it might be abnormally huge to carry in my pocket

Janet1025

Reaction score
just ordered one in black/black, nervous if this will be the right one. Currently i keep switching btwn the commuter/incipio. Incipio fits like a glove and is very sleek/slim, worried about how much protection it will really provide though bc i work in construction. I like the commuter, but dust keeps getting packed all around the hard buttons bc it is not a tight fit at the bottom silicone piece. Hopefully the trident is the last case i buy, just worried it might be abnormally huge to carry in my pocket

Please update us when you receive, I am debating between the Otterbox Defender and Trident Kraken.. I also dont want too much bulk!

Also can I ask where you bought it?

Thanks!

jmiskell09

Reaction score
Been using the kraken for two days now. It does add alot of bulk to the phone, but on the flipside much protection. As well. Imo the worst aspect is the screen protector. It doesn't quite sit flush to the screen. But its much needed protection for my phone from my five year old.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I might try the kraken....i have the defender and the commuter...but the defender is beginning to not close tight anymore bc I take it on and off for my cradle.....
Overall I was irritated that it tookotterbox so long, but in reality I think they rushed the product out before it was ready
Oh well

Reaction score
$ 24 on ebay now.
I like it for the dust proof, might have to order one and try it out. Then I'll decide between the defender or kraken.

Steve

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
I like the dust proofed and the colors on the krackin I have the defender have s napping problem is well

Cabazon Ca. Droid X

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
I would get them both have you checked out the monaco aircraft aluminum case has a hinge easy access for docking

Cabazon Ca. Droid X

FordTaurus

Reaction score
Trident Kraken mini-review

My first post after lurking since I got my droid. :)

I ordered one directly from Trident and received it in 48 hours (they ship priority mail standard).

One think I liked was the color choices - you can pick basically any color for the 'case' and for the 'skin' portion. You can then buy additional skins for a few bucks. I picked up a black case and a blue extra skin with mine.

I have had it for a few days now and am a pretty heavy phone user. My first impressions:

* Build quality is excellent. No jagged edges or bad fits here, really nice product. Makes the Body Gear and 'Platinum' ones at BB look like junk.

* Easy installation. Took about 30 seconds. Clamshell fits tight and snaps shut with no gaps. You can remove the skin easily, although you need to be careful not to just rip it off due to the tight fit of the button covers. Camera/flash cover is optional.

* Good looks - has a heavy duty gear look about it. The skin cut outs that let the case color show through are a nice touch.

* Doesn't add too much bulk. I carry my droid in my jacket pocket. Previously had the semi-rigid silicon case from Verizon store. I was afraid this thing would be huge, but it just doesn't add that much. Still fits in my pocket fine, although it would be a tight fit in jeans or dress pants.

* Screen protector works perfect. If you don't know, the case includes a PET glass (?) screen protector built in. I peeled off my stick on protector before installation. You basically can't tell its there. My girl who also has a droidx played with it for several minutes and didn't even notice it wasn't the bare screen. No difference in touch sensitivity which was a concern.

* Case extends around the screen border but doesn't cover it which is good. It does take a moment to get used to swiping the top status bar down, as you can't start your slide from the outer edge of the phone - if that makes sense.

* Covers for the charger/hdmi port and earphone jack are nice and fit really tightly. Hopefully they will not wear out with extended use. They are part of the skin however so not a big deal if they do.

* Button covers. Better than I expected. You do have to press harder, but not a lot. They have bits in the skin that extend through the hard case portion. Contact has a good feel. One downside is that they block the light of the buttons. On the black skin basically entirely. The blue skin I can still see the light through it in a dimly lit room. You cannot use the buttons easily without the skin installed as the case cutouts are over them. The skin buttons are embossed/raised, so its actually easier to use the buttons by feel than without the case on.

* Screen protector smudges easily, much like the bare screen. Worth it for the protection, but I will probably carry a microfiber for cleaning now and then.

* Silicon skin picks up lint somewhat, but they all do. It grips well and keeps the phone from sliding as expected.

Overall I am quite happy so far. The phone just feels much more rugged and safe now - I think it could definitely take a fall to pavement. Will see how it holds out in the long run. Glad to answer any questions if I can.

Regards

Edit: Forgot to add, I have the extended battery and cover installed from Verizon store. Did not affect fit.

Last edited:

Janet1025

Reaction score

Hemi did you get the case? Please review
Thanks

OP
H

hemi1300

Reaction score
Sorry for not posting my review, i have been using the trident for a week now and love it so far. All the plugs fit nice and tight and don't let any dust in the ports period. I have a steinheil uc screen protector still on and screen is still very responsive with the built in screen protector on the kraken. Can't even really notice the screen protector is there. All the buttons are very easy to push, i actually like the feel of the buttons better than the naked buttons or even with the otter box commuter. The case does pick up a little lint from my pocket, but not much, who cares anyway. Seems like a lot of people are most concerned about their phone case attracting lint, but any silicone like material will have this problem. The notification bar is a bit tough to access, but i installed go launcher so I can swipe down anywhere on the screen to pull down the notification bar, actually like this home screen app better than stock anyway. My only complaint thus far, yes it is a little bulky, i carry it in my jeans pocket all the time, i got used to the thickness and it doesn't really bother me anymore, but it's pretty thick. I love the fact that it is completely dust proof though, and has the screen protector. My phone gets covered in dust and dirt every day at work, i take the trident off and the phone doesn't have a speck of dust on it

s52pwrd

Reaction score
trident website

I found a coupon code, DNEWSTC2010 which gives you 20% off and free shipping on anything off the site. enjoy guys dancedroid

FordTaurus

Reaction score
Nice find on the coupon, I might have to order another skin. :)
Update on my review: Still loving the case. One thing I have noticed is that when taking pictures using flash you get a sort of white over-flash type effect. I do NOT have the optional camera/flash cover installed. It looks like the flash bounces off the skin a bit. Thinking of putting the cover on just to see if it changes any.
Mine also doesn't seem to be gathering dust as much now. The skin has kind of smoothed out from use I suppose. Regards

Janet1025

Reaction score
I found a coupon code, DNEWSTC2010 which gives you 20% off and free shipping on anything off the site. enjoy guys dancedroid

Yes thanks for the coupon code saved six bucks!

murf0217

Reaction score
Hello! How is evryone liking their Trident cases? When is the belt clip coming out?
I love my case. Actually put my Defender away. I prefer the fit of this case and the way the buttons are. They are be responsive, especially the front four buttons.