Anyone using a Cisco VPN on MIUI?

Discussion in 'Team D1-MIUI' started by ipadl, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Hey guys,

There is one feature that I'm trying to get to work with the MIUI ROM and thus far have not been able to. I'm trying to get my corporate VPN (Cisco) to work. In the past, I have used VPN Connections with other ROMs (Cyanogen, Simply Stunning, etc.) and it has worked well with most of them, but I cannot seem to get it working with MIUI. I am running 6.4 right now and have tried Chevy and Slayher 800 MHz kernels with no success.

The problem that I am seeing is that after I set up the VPN, I get a FC when I try to get it to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seth
  2. relentive

relentive New Member

I'll load up MIUI 6.4 tonight and try it with our Cisco VPN at work. I'm the network admin. so I'll be able to see if there's settings that can be changed within the network too. I'll keep you posted. I'm just going to use the default kernel in the ROM for testing purposes.
  3. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Relentive,

Thanks a ton. I'm the network admin here at our office and we haven't had any issues in the past with different ROMs, but the VPN connections app (v099) isn't responding well to MIUI. Thanks for your help.

Seth
  4. relentive

relentive New Member

No problem bud. Like you, I've been able to use the VPN feature with various ROMs including, UD which I'm using now. So we'll see if it's MIUI after tonight I guess.
  5. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Hey Relentive,

One more question while I'm thinking of it. We're running Exchange 2005 on a 2003 Windows server. I have a personal contact list of approximately 420 people. Using MIUI, I only get approximately 50% of those contacts to sync after I set up corporate email.

Are you guys running Exchange? If so, would you mind sync'ing your corporate email also and see if you get all of your contacts to sync? I have not had a problem with any other ROM - just MIUI.

Thanks,

Seth
  6. relentive

relentive New Member

We have Exchange 2003 running on Windows Server 2003 so I'll give it a shot. I'll be able to try it out in about 3-4 hours. Let me know if you think of any other things to try out. :yahoo:
  7. fearthewopr

fearthewopr New Member

fyi, i get the same thing, using slayhers 1100 kernel. gonna try chevys

I recommend Touchdown for exchange sync.
  8. fearthewopr

fearthewopr New Member

chevys make no difference for me either.
  9. relentive

relentive New Member

Well, no luck here. Tried VPN before switching ROMs. Successful VPN with UD, but when I switched to MIUI (with stock kernel) I was unable to. Didn't get to play around too much with it though, but tried the basics of troubleshooting and no luck.

I used Metick's FRG22D Stock ROM, did a clear/wipe, then installed MIUI, then did another clear/wipe and began setting up just so you know what I was using.

With UD, I used Chevy's 1.0Ghz uLow kernel.
  10. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Well thanks for checking, guys. I have thus far been unable to get VPN to work. This is a bummer. Perhaps somebody with far more knowledge about how to compile tun.ko could get this working. Anybody know who this might be?
  11. glynch

glynch New Member

Finally got VPN connections working. This is what I did.

1. Restored a chevy4.9 nandroid backup I had and copied the tun.ko file from /system/lib/modules to my sdcard
    2. Restored my MIUI nandroid and moved the file with root explorer to the same directory.
    3. Flashed a chevy kernal and rebooted.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Wow. That's great. I don't suppose you'd be willing to post and share the tun.ko would you? I would be incredibly greatful.

Seth
  13. glynch

glynch New Member

Here ya go. This was probably the only issue keeping me from using MIUI for an everyday ROM. Let me know if it works for you.
  14. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Me too. I will check this a little later today and post back.
  15. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Glynch,

This worked like a charm. This has been my biggest frustration with MIUI (other than 11.26). With this change, I will have little to complain about. :) Thanks for figuring this out.

Seth
  16. glynch

glynch New Member

No problem. It has been pissing me off for a while, glad I can put it to rest.:)

I have noticed the same problem with other ROM's as well. I am testing the same fix for them as well now.
  17. ipadl

ipadl New Member

The answer that many have given me in the past is that "tun.ko is built into the kernal" which appears to be only 1/2 true. tun.ko must also exist in the systems/lib/modules as well as you so astutely discovered.

anyway, I'm stoked that this is working now, so once again, thanks.

Seth
  18. glynch

glynch New Member

That is the same answer I always got too. I know I had the same problem on the latest version of Metickmod also. I just performed a fresh install and made sure it still wasn't working, then performed the same fix. VPN connections now works on there too:icon_ banana:

The only difference is that I tried it with the stock kernel, so I didn't have to install the chevy kernel.

So now at least I know it can be fixed on other ROM's as well, which is important be that I am a flashaholic. lol
  19. fullhouse131

fullhouse131 New Member

Any help would greatly be aprreciated I installed VPN Connections, have loaded tun.ko in the /system/lib/modules folder.

I am running MIUI 1.1.7 will this work with an a Cisco IPSec VPN?

Thanks
  20. ipadl

ipadl New Member

Did you install a Chevy kernal? Make sure you read all of the instructions above on this page and post back. I have moved away from MIUI (gasp!) so haven't checked with the latest versions.
Search tags for this page
cisco vpn miui
how to share tun module

miui cisco vpn

miui ipsec
miui system cisco vpn setting

miui vpn

miui vpn client cisco
miui wont use vpn
no vpn for android roms
vpn cisco miui
vpn miui