1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone using 2.1 Stock (rooted)?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by jhietter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. jhietter

jhietter New Member

After running every rom out there & switching back & forth all the time, I decided to try out the 2.1 stock (rooted) in Rom Manager. You know what? It runs really freakin smooth and fast! Of course I'm overclocked and I have all the extras & addons I want so I'm starting to think this is the way to go.

Anyone else doing this?

The only problem I'm having is that I can't get the clock white. I was able to theme with MM as long as I removed the xml from themes and I was able to change the notifications to white with bowerbar, but I can't get the clock white. I tried xultimate twice and it just won't work.
  2. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I am running a "Pure" Stock Rooted ROM. I did it the manual way (SPRecovery SBF, ADB to install SU and Busybox) to make sure it was 100% completely stock. AND yes, it is silky smooth and ZERO issues or glitches. With a P3 1ghz OC, it is as stable and functional as stock...but super fast!!

Concerning the "white clock issue".. that is because the Stock ROM is not deodexed. The services.jar file (only 384 bytes) has a matching odex file (1.2mb) so it seems you can not theme it like normal custom ROMs that are fully deodexed.

Quite frankly I prefer having a perfect Rooted Stock ROM than taking the change of messing with deodexing and loosing the stability, speed and smoothness I have now. Not sure it would , but won't take the chance because it is so perfect as it is now.

I have asked a few people if we can deodex just the Services.jar without doing the rest of the ROM to gain access for changes like the white clock etc... but no one has answered that question yet.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. kwiksilvr

kwiksilvr New Member

any word on rooting the incredible? I want to root it and leave it stock... i just want to be able to overclock and use my wifi tether...
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

I also am doing the "pure" stock root (thanks to 928's help!) and loving it. Run's perfect. I was like you - I tried every ROM, every customization, and it was becoming a real time waster b/c I'd spend an hour+ each day doing it... and never finding one that was perfect - each had its own little bugs, whether large or small. I loved stock b/c it ran so seamlessly, but I wanted wifi tether for the once in a lifetime chance I might need it, as well as the ability to overclock and use certain apps like Titanium backup. So, I'm a big PSR fan! ("pure stock root" :))
  5. 928Droid

6. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I had force close issues recently with the alarm clock on a custom ROM. That's not good, as my Droid has become my main alarm clock now. I think I might load stock today at work and see how it goes over the weekend.

That CyanogenMOD ROM, the features are sick....I would hate to give it up. I am using the stock alarm clock tho. Wouldn't it be wild if I had to use one Koush made...lol
  7. Diordna

Diordna New Member

What are the best features you like in CM?
    Just wondering :)
    I'm about to root and thinking about keeping it stock with OC and wifi tether.

Anything else you guys recommend for me besides those two on this stock ROM?
  8. jwellsy

jwellsy New Member

I root my girlfriends OTA 2.1 droid without her knowledge just to try the SPRecovery SBF, ADB to install SU (used Titanium to do an easy busybox install) and the next day she mentioned how fast her phone was all of a sudden. She seen all the trial and errors i have with roms and didn't want a part of it. after that i made a custom draw handle for her launcher and now rooting is OK.
  9. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers New Member

I must be googlefu stupid. How do you do the bolded above? I have a stock 2.1 that has SPRecovery on it. Nothing else. Is there a way to push root onto this without a wipe of data. I have a couple of programs that I have data on that I can export but they have no import function. So I can save the data but not use it again a reinstall. Is there a method to push root onto a stock phone without using a SBF file or nandroid and wiping out data?

I've flashed a few roms but gone back to my nandroid backup to continue to use my data. Really would love to flash and put my apps with data back on the new flashed unit.
  10. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

im running smoked glass v6. i tried a few roms in rom manager but found a lot of bugs or issues in each one

ive been wanting to revert back to the stock 2.1 update but also root the phone so icould overclock, wifi tether, and delete all the useless standard apps i'll never use. i also have rom manager. can you tell me how you got the stock 2.1 update then rooted it? im just a little confused
  11. jntdroid

THIS is where 928 pointed me to do the adb root - though I don't know about the wipe issue. It doesn't look like you'd have to wipe, but I don't know for sure. My phone was wiped clean already when I did this, so I don't know...
  12. jwellsy

jwellsy New Member

With the SPRecovery SBF, ADB to install SU method you lose nothing.
  13. 928Droid

BTW, I just posted this on another thread.. my workaround for the "white clock issue" for the stock rooted roms..

14. jntdroid

can I steal that from you? :unsure:
  15. 928Droid

16. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

yup and love it better then the roms. Stable, clean, and overclocked. I will not be installing any roms for a while.
  17. keenish27

keenish27 New Member

Honestly the only thing that keeps me from using a stock rooted ROM is theming. If I can get a sweet theme for the stock ROM I'd be all over it =). I find the custom ROMs too laggy. I mean the way I look at it is like this, "Google has a team of developers making a ROM a certain way. They are probably doing something right with their ROMs".
  18. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

I even switched to the stock home screen and decided to give HL a break. And though I miss my 7 screens; I like not having f/cs or lag, even with it overclocked. Don't get me wrong, helix launcher is by far the best launcher out there. But it still has some lag. The home screen with only 3 screens is cool for me. Granted I will probably go back to helix soon, since I have the home switcher app, but for now I like the stability and no f/cs what so ever.
  19. jhietter

jhietter New Member

Great comments - clearly I'm not alone! 928 - thanks for the how to's and the bar idea!

I actually was close to going to the stock home, but I can't live without those extra 4 static icons. Helix is working trouble free so far.

What it came down to for me was those occasional in-between times when I needed to do something. Like needing to snap a quick picture or vid or needing to get directions in my car. It seemed like just a couple too many times that the phone would freeze & screw me right when I needed it, even though I had stress-tested it & thought I had it running perfectly (using many roms). And if it means 1 or 2 less features to have a phone that is always there for me, exactly when I need it & is snappy, then that is what I want. So at least for now, I'm saying goodbye to 360 rotation & apps to sd. Most of the great features I want (oc, wifi tether, swap partition, etc) are there for me on stock as long as I'm rooted. Great to know so many others are following the same line of thinking. Now if we can just get ppl to start theming for it!!
  20. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Definitely. Just can't stand the stock theme.