anyone try getting cytown's phone to work?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by turdbogls, Nov 3, 2010.

1. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just wondering if anyone has tried getting this working on V2. I LOVE this phone.apk and i am thinking i want it on PE (hint hint *cough* V3 *cough*)

i am thinking i want to take on this challenge later today, already have my nandroid, and have a reference thread
    Modified Phone.apk v30.1, vibrate, black list, eclair, froyo, etc.(0708) - xda-developers

if anyone has gotten this to work, did you use the Phone.v29.eclair.drd79.zip?

let me know. if you have no idea what i am talking about, check out the thread...i could care less if it works differently than the stock one, it just looks 100x better than the stock phone IMO.

pics taken from UD1.0 thread
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    yea, i have. you do not want to use the eclair version...

there are a few ways you can do this. the easiest way, in my opinon, is to use the phone.apk form UD1.0, put it in an update.zip, and install the update.zip from recovery.

you can get the phone.apk from UD1.0 a couple ways. if you dont have UD1.0 on your phone you can download the rom on your comp, open up the zip file, go to the system/app directory and extract it.

you then take the phone.apk and put it in a blank update.zip template file (or create one yourself) in the same place you extracted it from in the ud1.0 rom. there are a couple blank templates floating around this forum.

then you just install it from recovery like you would a theme.

3. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    hmmm...i have never created an update.zip file. any chance you have it still? if not i guess it is time for me to learn how to create one lol.
    but i agree, an update.zip seems like it would be simpler to do.

4. mojo_droid

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
  5. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ok so have to template unzipped and i see the phone.apk in there.

i have UD1.0.0 unzipped as well and i see cytownphone.apk as well as a phoneconfig.apk.

what exactly do i do from here? delete the phone.apk out of the template, and copy over cytownphone.apk from UD? what about phoneconfig.apk?

then once i get everything moved over, i zip it back up, name it whatever i want, and flash it via clockwork?

once/if i get this working i will for sure post the update.zip for it.

6. mojo_droid

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean when you say "ok so have to template unzipped and i see the phone.apk in there"?

take the cytownphone.apk and add it to the system/app directory in the template_update.zip and then flash it like you said, via clockworkworkmod. You might want to rename cytownphone.apk to Phone.apk incase it causes a conflict. I think it will still work fine if you dont change it, but i guess to be safe you should change it.

I'm not sure what the phonecofig.apk does, but you can just leave it alone and it shouldnt matter.

I have attached an update.zip file with the cytownphone in it that you can just flash via clockwork.

and make sure you create a nandroid backup before you do it, to be safe

7. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    typo, i have THE template unzipped and see the phone.apk in the system/apps location.

your post explained it to me, trying this on my own before i use your update just b/c i want to say i did it "by myself".

thanks for your help tho, been a big help to me.

update: hmmm, weird. the update.zip template i downloaded had all the files and whatnot in it already(phone, contacts, maps,calandar,camera ect). I just unzipped your cytown update.zip and found ONLY the phone.apk.

so let me get this straight, an update.zip format for something like this, should contain ONLY the app that i want to change in the system/app folder, and that is it?

#7 turdbogls, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. mojo_droid

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    np, glad to help, it is a nice trick to learn.

yea, if all you want to do is replace your phones' phone.apk with cytownphone then all that should be in the zip file is the phone.apk

9. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    oh boy, so i flashed your update.zip you attached and it didn't work. not sure what is going on now, but i flashed it just like i have flashed every other ROM,theme, app change, it said it installed successfully. maybe if it was named cytownphone.apk...but what would happen to the original phone.apk? completely lost now....lol

10. mojo_droid

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    what did it do? what makes you think it didnt work? you can change it to cytownphone.apk and it wont cause it to crash. i just verified it on my phone. here is the update.zip i used, its slighty different cuz i changed an image or two (i think, i cant remember if i changed any images from the ud version of cytownphone and wycontacts). i also included wycontacts in it, cuz that is what you see in UD when you look at the dialer etc. you can take that out if you dont want it.

Ive never used that particular template from thebowers, i used a different one, so maybe that template isnt setup for what we are trying to use it for. but I just flashed this one on my phone again and it worked fine for me with cytownphone and wycontacts (slightly modified images though...i think)

PS. you can verify that you have it on your phone going to settings->call settings and if you see "advanced settings v.30.1" under the voice mail settings, then it is on your phone. you can verify wycontacts by pressing the menu button at the dialer screen and scroll down to about and click it, and it will tell you that you have wycontacts.

#10 mojo_droid, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  11. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, well the original update you gave me DID work...I thought the phone.apk contained the dialer and contacts list....obviously I was wrong....will be updating with the latest update
    . Thanks again

12. white_ash143

white_ash143 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I did that worked perfectly is take the cyphone.apk and contacts.apk from the UD zip and dropped into /system/app and deleted phone.apk and the original contacts.apk then rebooted. Phoneconfig.apk is not needed. Plus I just used androidcommander and did it all at once. No flashing any updates.

Search tags for this page

advanced settings v.30.1 samsung