Anyone Try Big Button Keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Dana. I work for Chicago Logic, Inc. We developed the Big Buttons Keyboard & the patented Delta II modified QWERTY matrix.

To answer some of the questions here -

Big Buttons Keyboard is not a keylogger, and does not track keystrokes, clicks, or any other user activity. It's only function is as a keyboard. The ominous but necessary warning you get on install is from the Android OS, and occurs no matter which alternative keyboard you install.

After installing, (currently there is no confirmation and the Install button does not operate) you must make the keyboard available. Go to "Settings", Scroll down to "Locale & text", press "Big Buttons Keyboard". Ignore warning. Exit setup. To switch to Big Buttons, press & hold any input field, then press "Input Method", press "Big Buttons Keyboard". Refresh screen if needed.

Also FYI, double-clicking the shift key will take you out of Caps Lock mode. We are addressing this to make the shift key operate like the standard keyboard's shift key.

We are planning the following additions to the software:

- Big Buttons Icon with option settings, instructions and simplified installation.

- Rotating phone into landscape mode will change to the standard landscape QWERTY keyboard.

- We are also working on word prediction, vibration feedback, "click" sound on key press, auto-cap, and other options.

Thank you all for your input. We hope the Big Buttons Keyboard enhances your smartphone experience.

Respectfully,

Mr. Dana Suess
[email protected]

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
"Rotating phone into landscape mode will change to the standard landscape QWERTY keyboard."

Perfect.

This will be a mandatory application for many.

Last edited:

Daywalker

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Dana. I work for Chicago Logic, Inc. We developed the Big Buttons Keyboard & the patented Delta II modified QWERTY matrix.

To answer some of the questions here -

Big Buttons Keyboard is not a keylogger, and does not track keystrokes, clicks, or any other user activity. It's only function is as a keyboard. The ominous but necessary warning you get on install is from the Android OS, and occurs no matter which alternative keyboard you install.

After installing, (currently there is no confirmation and the Install button does not operate) you must make the keyboard available. Go to "Settings", Scroll down to "Locale & text", press "Big Buttons Keyboard". Ignore warning. Exit setup. To switch to Big Buttons, press & hold any input field, then press "Input Method", press "Big Buttons Keyboard". Refresh screen if needed.

Also FYI, double-clicking the shift key will take you out of Caps Lock mode. We are addressing this to make the shift key operate like the standard keyboard's shift key.

We are planning the following additions to the software:

- Big Buttons Icon with option settings, instructions and simplified installation.

- Rotating phone into landscape mode will change to the standard landscape QWERTY keyboard.

- We are also working on word prediction, vibration feedback, "click" sound on key press, auto-cap, and other options.

Thank you all for your input. We hope the Big Buttons Keyboard enhances your smartphone experience.

Respectfully,

Mr. Dana Suess
[email protected]

Thank you for clearing that up, I use my phone for work and can not chance a customers info getting out.
With the things you are going to add sounds great will give it another shot

Daywalker

Reaction score
boy u all of parnoid. all keyboards gather info.. i like this keyboard it needs some options like tatcle feedback and typewriter noise. i guess it could use a dictionary. but its a good start.

I have to be parinoid things like that could cost me my insurance licence

dtyrewilliams

Reaction score
I have been using this for a while. Surprisingly, even though the keyboard has a different layout, it is very easy to type on. If you look at it, there is a pattern to the layout it's not just random. besides to make the keyboard have the "big buttons" you can't have the whole row of keys like in a normal qwerty. After the additions the developer has said are being worked on this will be an awesome one-handed typing solution. h3ll it already is!

Sal R.

Reaction score
I love this kb, esp w/ the latest updates.

If only I could also overlay the TalkToMe button for STT, I'd be set.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Am I the only one where the text is underlined when typing it in the text-box/notepad? When I send it, hit return to go to a new line or press the button to make the keyboard disappear-- the underlines disappear but is this on purpose?

Either way it doesn't interfere with anything so if you need a better way to enter text in vertical mode, this is your app.

Last edited:

hughesjr

Reaction score
Am I the only one where the text is underlined when typing it in the text-box/notepad? When I send it, hit return to go to a new line or press the button to make the keyboard disappear-- the underlines disappear but is this on purpose?

Either way it doesn't interfere with anything so if you need a better way to enter text in vertical mode, this is your app.

I see this too ...

Why I disabled it though, is that while it does shift to the real horizontal keyboard or the physical keyboard, it changes the way the ALT and SHIFT keys work. In the normal keyboard app, there is some error correction, and you can press the ALT key and let it go, then press the other key and get the ALT character. If you press ALT a second time, it is like an ALT-LOCK and you get all ALT characters until you press ALT again to unlock it. This app makes it so you have to press ALT-<key> at the same time and there is no ALT-LOCK ... even on the physical keyboard.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this. makes typing with the vertical keyboard much more tolerable with my big fingers.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Keep in mind what we said though...there are some minor glitches with the physical keyboard so don't think your Droid is screwed up. I have had trouble getting a consistency with numbers. At times the "i" button will show 8 and at times a *...I guess it is defaulting to a normal keyboard because the * button is on a different letter on the Droid physical keyboard.

Either way the developer is on top of it and soon enough if you experience any glitches, fixes will be out. This app has been out for only a few days.

It will be a necessary app for vertical mode.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Keep in mind what we said though...there are some minor glitches with the physical keyboard so don't think your Droid is screwed up. I have had trouble getting a consistency with numbers. At times the "i" button will show 8 and at times a *...I guess it is defaulting to a normal keyboard because the * button is on a different letter on the Droid physical keyboard.

Either way the developer is on top of it and soon enough if you experience any glitches, fixes will be out. This app has been out for only a few days.

It will be a necessary app for vertical mode.

Im definitely waiting on this fix....when using the physical keyboard and lets say im inserting a word in between other words and hit the space bar it will jump to a weird position like in the middle of another word or something causing you to have to back up. And I have to hold alt to get a number to work. Definitely querky on the physical keyboard.

moosc

Reaction score
cant wait for an update. really need the tactile feed back and fix the full keyboard fix. it would be cool if they could make the letters pop like iphone and have different skins

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Okay I just downloaded the new update and as far as I can tell the bugs we talked about are fixed. You can keep caps lock on and you keep the number lock on. I also have not experienced any errors when attempting to get numbers like previously. Before there was an inconsistency and sometimes when I wanted a number like the #8 , the symbol * would show up for no apparent reason. As far as I can tell this problem has been solved, but I have only used it briefly so far.

Anyone experiencing any other bugs? Seems golden right now to me.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I cant find it in the market! arghhhh can someone check if they pulled it?