Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Who's the one being negative here with their absolutism? Nobody is complaining, we're having a discussion.

I love my Droid 4. Wouldn't trade it for the world. In fact, I explicitly said in my post... "Again, I love love love this phone and am not complaining, just wishing (like many others) that it were *slightly* better as far as keyboard layout goes."

Doesn't mean there aren't a few things I wish they had thought about a little more. I love my car, but I wish there were some features it had that were different. Doesn't mean I'm going to trade it in just because those are missing. Do you mean to tell me everything in your life is perfect and there's nothing you ever wish was a little different or better? Does that mean you want to trade your entire life in? Of course not.

Forums like these exist for discussion of things like this. It's how Motorola learns, it's how we learn. On another forum, a discussion about the physical keyboard led me to a button remapping app that is likely to fix the issues I have with the keyboard. Without a discussion like this I would have never known that app existed. I appreciate your opinion but, like the others in this thread, disagree with you - I hope one day you can open up your mind to simple, polite discussion. It is the backbone of the Android community and has been for years. If it bothers you so much to read, don't open threads like this where the rest of us are trying to talk out our (minimal) issues with an otherwise amazing phone.

Um. Some people do trade their entire life in. They move to another country. Or just move to another city. Or just out of their parents house.
Same with cars. Yes if you're unhappy you trade it in if and when you can. That's why there are used cars for sale.

And yes people trade their phones in for other phones when they're not happy. I could link quite a few posts from this forum of poeple doing just that. Even for the fruit product phone. Or a basic phone.

And you really think Moto reads these forums? Really? Maybe, but with other opinions, like mine, they take all those in and think "we did pretty good, about half like it and half hate it.

Like you and others said. This forum is for discussion. That's all I'm doing is discussing the keyboard. I don't think the shift is out of place. Nor the caps lock. It's 10x better then my Droid 1.

Oh, someone mentioned how being a temporary secretary makes me more adapt at adjusting to different keyboards. Every use a memory typewriter? A 1997 computer keyboard? An erogomic keyboard? A typewriter without a correction tape on it? And off the job, because we were so poor, I used a manual typewriter in high school bought from a second hand store. When I took a shorthand night class I used the school ugly brown typewriters that I first learned to type on in 9th grade. How about a funky job service typewriter or computer to take a type test on to get a job? A 10" netbook keyboard (my current home computer)?
I really could go on but I think you get the point.

I was being polite.
I wish the posters who responded to mine where.
They were just plain rude.:icon_ cry:
I was glad the thread was closed.
They took a simple suggestion to try to stay more positive about their purchase and turned it into outright hatred.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your going to post your opinions on the internet expect to be criticized. You stated your preference of what symbols and keys and whatnot should be on the keyboard. You spoke for yourself not the majority. So of course people who are content with it would post here. Why else would Motorola change the keys around? They probably had testers or did public opinions on qwerty keyboards..

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

I think that's the likely issue is that they surveyed random people instead of current users of phones with slide-out keyboards. I know it would have taken more effort on their part, but I'm sure they could have worked to get more input from those who have been consistently buying Droids since inception or currently own and OG, 2, or 3. If Apple asked me about iPhone features I could give my opinion, but they're going to go further towards keeping their present customer base by interviewing current and former users rather than someone who has no stake in what product they roll out next.

Considering that ICS Roms are quickly progressing past their nascent stages the only incentive I have to get a new phone is more screen real estate with a great keyboard, and the D4 is not that device for me.

As to anyone in here speaking for the majority or not that remains to be seen, but this forum is a place to help people with technical aspects and to post opinions, so it should not be surprising that people voice an opinion different from yours, or mine.

BumForALiving

Reaction score
Personally I like a slide-out keyboard so I have a full screen to view content. I agree there are a few things on this keyboard that take away from what the original had (ALT key, @ as secondary, unneeded caps lock...)

With that said, I think it would be great to have a slide-out LCD keyboard that layout can be customized, even controlled by apps. Something like this:
www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/tactus/

Not saying another full screen, perhaps just a black & white reflective lcd with the ability to back-light.

Last edited:
OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Why else would Motorola change the keys around?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. My first guess is that they've dumbed it down to appeal to a wider audience. All of the symbols on the previous Droids, while extremely functional, may make the keyboard seem cluttered and harder to use. Secondly, it is apparent that they were trying to mimic a standard QWERTY keyboard--a noble goal to be sure.

The problem I have is the reduction in functionality and efficiency with the new layout. An @ symbol and the microphone now take two keypresses, for example. And what is gained? A big ol' CAPS key. My opinion is that it's a bad tradeoff. All of the symbols that have disappeared are another way that functionality and efficiency have been reduced. They've tried to reproduce a QWERTY keyboard but they didn't have enough space to include all of the keys...like | \ [ ] { }...so instead of moving those symbols to other keys they simply dropped 'em. I think that's a bad move. At least it can be agreed that this layout is not in line with the previous Droid, right? Convincing people that the D4 layout is less functional and efficient is another story. I challenge anyone--not in a mean-spirited way, but purely for the sake of a real discussion--to provide even one way that this new layout is more functional or efficient. Let's hear it!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally I like a slide-out keyboard so I have a full screen to view content. I agree there are a few things on this keyboard that take away from what the original had (ALT key, @ as secondary, unneeded caps lock...)

With that said, I think it would be great to have a slide-out LCD keyboard that layout can be customized, even controlled by apps. Something like this:
www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/tactus/

Not saying another full screen, perhaps just a black & white reflective lcd with the ability to back-light.

That's a cool concept, but besides wanting to have full screen real estate I also like the feedback of hard keys. Even haptic doesn't give the same feel as having physical keys under your fingers as you type. I don't want to have to eyeball the keyboard as I go to make sure that I'm hitting what I want to. If something utterly amazing drops and its only drawback is a lack of a qwerty I'm going to get serious about having one of the design majors at school lay something out so I can go to the local fab shop here and have them make me a prototype. If the manufacturers are going to let me down, I'll just have to do it myself. :happy3:

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I posted this concept -- in a very different tone -- on this thread six weeks ago. I'll try again here because I really think if we can see this difference in perspective we will be able to empathize with the other guy's position.

There are two kinds of people in the world...

The question is simple: If you look at your hands or at the keyboard when you type, you do not NEED a physical QWERTY -- *and* it will be completely outside your experience and comprehension why anyone else would NEED one either.

On the other (or maybe both) hand, if you like to focus on the screen when you type and let your fingers find the right keys, then you simply can't survive without that touch sensation of discrete keys and the tactile feedback when they depress.

... and neither has the faintest idea what the other is talking about. :)

I will add that there are lots of folks who look at the keys but still prefer a physical KB. For them it's a matter of preference. They can go with either, but like the hard KB better.

For error free no look touch-typing ONLY a physical keyboard will do.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand exactly what they're talking about. I have to look if I use swype without swiping or use the default touch keyboard. I just don't enjoy that at all.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
They might've added the caps lock key to attract typists, or people who uses keyboards a lot in their daily lives, whether its for a job or leisure.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
They might've added the caps lock key to attract typists, or people who uses keyboards a lot in their daily lives, whether its for a job or leisure.

If so, it would have done a lot more good to pay closer attention to general key placement. Too many keys are not where "typists" expect to find them.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Big D

Reaction score
Sorry to bump such a heated thread but as a new user, I gotta weigh in.

I am way more than slightly annoyed with the ridiculous redesign of the layout. The physical/tactile characteristics of this KB are truly a marvel and the typoing experience on this phone is everything anyone couldever expect from a phone.

The layout has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen.

Seriously. How could they be so frickin clueless? You need a huge freakin button to lock the caps? I have hit and typed entire sentences in caps with this stupid thing. It happens all the time and it has gotten to the point of making my blood boil.

Taking the "@" away was equally idiotic. It doesn't cause the same issues for me but it is just an incredibly stupid choice that shows that Moto has no clue how people use their equipment. Stunning fail.

The SYM key is just another little slap in the face. But at least it's tucked away where you won't ever use it. That's a great goal to have as a developer.

And would it kill you to have a dedicated "?" like you did on the OG? My god.

I love the phone and I hope to get used to this. But I am way more than bothered by this stunningly stupid redisign of the KB layout.

podspi

Reaction score
Eh, the layout isn't that bad. I've been using keyboard phones since the original 'V', and each time I hated that the layout was different. But within a few weeks I get used to it. Honestly, the D4 has the best keyboard on a phone I've ever used. I can type on it much faster than I could the D1, so regardless of layout, it is better.

Also, if you use Swiftkey, caps lock key doesn't do anything. An extra bonus in addition to the predictions. Hopefully they don't fix that 'bug' :D

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Eh, the layout isn't that bad... the D4 has the best keyboard on a phone I've ever used. I can type on it much faster than I could the D1...

Also, if you use Swiftkey...

Roger that; "if you use Swiftkey" then "the layout isn't that bad" -- you're right.

If you reviewed this thread before posting in it, then you noticed my post of Feb 25 above which discusses the misunderstanding between two typist styles.

You have identified yourself as primarily a one-finger typist. This means you are using the D4 hard QWERTY keyboard like people use a virtual keyboard. You don't really need the D4. Swype will very possibly be even faster for you than Swiftkey.

But for those who touch-type and watch the copy or the display as they type -- and for whom word completion serves no purpose, except occasionally as a spell-checker -- the D4 keyboard layout remains a major disappointment and a caricature of what it should have been, despite its admittedly fine feel.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Big D

Reaction score
YOU CAN SAY THAT.... oops. hit the caps lock. You can say tha again , TC.

westa510

Reaction score
D4 Keyboard

Purchased the D4 because it has a physical keyboard and like this one. Is it perfect not all users, no. I have not adapted to virtual keyboads so this is the right unit for me.

Thanks for reading,

Andy

silverfang77

Reaction score
I find virtual keyboards fine for a short, succinct answer (omg, lol). But to actually type thought out, serious replies, for me at least, a hardware keyboard is a must.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.