Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Sounds like the D3 kb remains the best in the line.

How are you drawing that conclusion?

I love my D4 keyboard. Steps ahead of the D1 for sure.

Most of those who have tried it like it.
Most of those who haven't either bash it or worship it and really it's hard to take either seriously.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll try to get into the VZW near me.

I was a D1 user that NEVER used the keyboard because it was horrible.

The D3 KB is the best phone keyboard I've ever used and I've had a few QWERTY phone keyboards now (env2 and env3 come to mind as some great keyboards).

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

Kas84

Reaction score
I don't think it's a step backwards at all. I think the feel of the keyboard is fantastic. It's super responsive and makes typing a joy. However, I do see what you're saying about some of the keys. I agree with you that there really is no need for a CAPS LOCK key, as it was really easy to just push the shift key twice to get the same effect on previous models of the Droid. And I also wish there put the shift key above the CAPS key, as I would assume people use this button much more frequently than the useless CAPS LOCK key. Other than that I am extremely impressed with the evolution of the DROID keyboard. It is leaps and bounds better than the DROID 2 keyboard.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score

Most of those who haven't either bash it or worship it and really it's hard to take either seriously.

Read through the thread. It isn't necessary to try the keyboard to criticize the layout.

OUTthaWAZOO

Reaction score
It's definitely an improvement over the D1 I'd say. Although I do have a tendency to hit more than one key at a time sometimes. And after the first couple days, it stopped doing spell correction and stuff, like it doesn't even pop up on the screen anymore. I would, however, like to have the symbols all on the keys again. And there's no need for a caps lock button, either. Double-pressing shift worked just fine.

debdroid1a

Reaction score

Read through the thread. It isn't necessary to try the keyboard to criticize the layout.

Read through again and see that most of those who don't like it are only basing it on pictures. Very few have tried it and not liked it.
Those who don't like it aren't D4 owners or wouldn't ever own a Moto device for other reasons besides keyboards (see which current phone they have and which one they suggest over the D4).

And the remainder who do not like it are D3 owners... hmmm... reminds of when the D4 was announced to come out in December 2011 and D3 owners cried (yes they cried, I heard their tears) about it coming out so soon. Still a little touche per chance...
In fact, the OP is a current D3 owner. Coincidence? Sure, let's go with that.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read through again and see that most of those who don't like it are only basing it on pictures. Very few have tried it and not liked it.
Those who don't like it aren't D4 owners or wouldn't ever own a Moto device for other reasons besides keyboards (see which current phone they have and which one they suggest over the D4).

And the remainder who do not like it are D3 owners... hmmm... reminds of when the D4 was announced to come out in December 2011 and D3 owners cried (yes they cried, I heard their tears) about it coming out so soon. Still a little touche per chance...

I am a Droid 2 owner with an upgrade coming soon and will still be waiting it out. I don't like the keyboard, but there are other things keeping me away as well. As to the pertinent issue, having all the symbols available directly on the keyboard with a simple alt press is one of the things I love about the D2 board, and that found its way onto the D3. I also like the feel of the D2 board, though I did like the hard keys on the LG V series so I could probably deal with the firmness. Ah well, something will eventually drop that satisfies.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score

This thread was meant to point out a few problems I see with the layout of the D4 keyboard. I don't need to own the phone to see the layout. If you have counters to any of the criticisms then share them. The point is that you can't say anything to counter the criticisms because the D4 keyboard layout is just not as good as it could be. Let's hear some valid ideas instead of your conspiracy theories.

Rocky

Reaction score
It sure is for me, having tried the DIII's three older brothers' keyboards. I might just wait for the (rumored) Motorola Jet. Hopefully the kb layout will be smartly designed.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
This thread was meant to point out a few problems I see with the layout of the D4 keyboard. I don't need to own the phone to see the layout. If you have counters to any of the criticisms then share them. The point is that you can't say anything to counter the criticisms because the D4 keyboard layout is just not as good as it could be. Let's hear some valid ideas instead of your conspiracy theories.

I did counter the criticism go back and reread my post.

MistaMean

Reaction score
Well, I'm on my second day with the D4 and I think the physical keyboard is just awesome. Comparing the D4 keyboard to my old D1 and I feel like its a winner. My old D1 keys were peeling off in under a years time and these seem like they will hold up pretty well. The layout doesn't really concern me, I don't mind hitting an extra key to use certain symbols. Awesome!

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
The point of this thread is somehow completely lost now.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Well, I'm on my second day with the D4 and I think the physical keyboard is just awesome. Comparing the D4 keyboard to my old D1 and I feel like its a winner. My old D1 keys were peeling off in under a years time and these seem like they will hold up pretty well. The layout doesn't really concern me, I don't mind hitting an extra key to use certain symbols. Awesome!

I agree this using the keyboard I found it to be one of the best I used. Okay I only used two others, the D1 and the eNV2 keyboards, but this one is much better!

Last edited:

mfendley

Reaction score
I went from D2G to D3 to GNex to D4. I love the keyboard, although I occasionally hit the caps lock. I have not hit the SYM key yet, as the shift can be used to select all of the symbols in yellow.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Jeez.. maybe because your just thinking about yourself? Have you ever considered that others may actually welcome the change? Just because you don't like a specific thing doesn't mean others don't. And I actually use the caps lock. Rarely but still do.