Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

TC_Mits

Reaction score
i am sure they can make an app to turn off the keyboards back light. Also it only goes on if the light around it is below a certain level so if you are in a lit room or office or outside it should be off. I know there are better screens but my approach to this is a bit more business minded, i wish it had a amoled screen but i am ok with out it.

Roger that, pentile isn't deal-killer for me either. Just irks me that all the expense of the unnecessarily costly new battery type, extra water resistance, redesigned back, etc. plus the keyboard is what made the display downgrade necessary. And for no improved functionality whatsoever!
EDIT:
It's "laser cut" "laser cut" "laser cut"...I don't care what they use to cut it, I care about what keys are present and how it works.

I haven't used it, but from watching the videos my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line. Why?

One you, missed: quote/apostrope at the top left??!

Looking back at this it occurred to me: It seems like figuring out how to use "laser-cut" backlighting would be at least a little bit harder than putting the keys in the right place, you know?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Roger that, pentile isn't deal-killer for me either. Just irks me that all the expense of the unnecessarily costly new battery type, extra water resistance, redesigned back, etc. plus the keyboard is what made the display downgrade necessary. And for no improved functionality whatsoever!

( By DX w/DF app. )
are pentile or amoled thinner?? i wasnt sure i was thinking maybe that had something to do with it... something tells me the amoled is thinner though. I think we may get all were asking for in the 5 but it will probably be comming out this time next year. the keyboard doesnt really bother me though. i never used the shortcut for paste,cut or copy. i really think this phone may put the final nail in blackberrys cuffin if they market it right.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
AMOLED is thinner, doesn't require a backlight, and can be fabricated onto flexible plastic substrate if needed to make a flexible display.

Unlike AMOLED, Pentile isn't a display technology. A Pentile screen can be either LCD or AMOLED. This link to an extreme close up of a Nexus One screen shows what Pentile means:

File:Nexus one screen microscope.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
AMOLED is thinner, doesn't require a backlight, and can be fabricated onto flexible plastic substrate if needed to make a flexible display.

Unlike AMOLED, Pentile isn't a display technology. A Pentile screen can be either LCD or AMOLED. This link to an extreme close up of a Nexus One screen shows what Pentile means:

File:Nexus one screen microscope.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Helpful link. Donkey shank.

I sorta knew 'pentile' was more about structure than technology, but the discussion was keyed to quality and, as I recall, pentile is a compromise arrangement so it seemed apt.

( By DX w/DF app. )

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not feeling it, but no biggie as I'm waiting for whatever drops with a good keyboard, good hands-on feel, and possibility of an extended battery.

Rocky

Reaction score
It's "laser cut" "laser cut" "laser cut"...I don't care what they use to cut it, I care about what keys are present and how it works.

I haven't used it, but from watching the videos my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line. Why?

- lack of symbols on keyboard, probably necessitating a virtual symbol keyboard. That takes more time, makes you take your fingers off of the keyboard, and a virtual keyboard covers part of the screen thus hiding what you are editing/writing.

- a CAPS LOCK key. Is that a joke? It's the one key I never use on my PC so why would I want it on my phone? What was wrong with pressing SHIFT twice for caps lock? I can imagine hitting CAPS LOCK by mistake all the time. This key annoys the heck out of me. There are keys that are actually used that should be there. CAPS LOCK? Sheesh!!!

- @ symbol is no longer on it's own key and now requires SYM + 2. A step backwards.

- = symbol is on it's own key. How often do I use that? I appreciate the idea of trying to make it like a PC keyboard but can they think a little? I use @ much more than = on my phone so @ should have it's own key instead of =.

- microphone key is on the TAB key instead of by itself. I think it's cool that with one touch on the D3 I can start dictating. Now I guess you have to press SYM and then TAB to do this. A step backward.

- no ALT key. Is SYM the new ALT? In the past all of the Droid physical keyboards had both SYM and ALT. I wonder if this will cause any complications. Maybe, maybe not.

- no magnifying glass / search key. I guess you could still use the capacitive search key so perhaps this is a good idea for removing redundancy but the keyboard is technically less functional now.

Maybe you think I'm whining but I just wanted to list all of my concerns about this keyboard. It's disappointing just like the non-removable battery. I haven't touch this phone but I know it's not for me. Maybe when Google takes over Motorola they'll pull their heads out of wherever they're stuck right now.
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are. I went this Sunday to Verizon, ready to "upgrade" to a D4, but after trying out its hard keyboard, I changed my mind. I could hardly believe I didn't get it, especially after have gone from a DI to a DII, then DIIG, and now DIII. Yeah, I know I can get used to it, but as of now it's not worth kissing good bye my DIII's keyboard (it kinda makes you wish they were interchangeable).

Besides there's no 4G in my area yet. I'll wait and see if by the time it gets here there are better options out there. Physical keyboards are still my best pick for phones. I too see more pros than cons over virtual keyboards.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are. I went this Sunday to Verizon, ready to "upgrade" to a D4, but after trying out its hard keyboard, I changed my mind. I could hardly believe I didn't get it, especially after have gone from a DI to a DII, then DIIG, and now DIII. Yeah, I know I can get used to it, but as of now it's not worth kissing good bye my DIII's keyboard (it kinda makes you wish they were interchangeable).

Besides there's no 4G in my area yet. I'll wait and see if by the time it gets here there are better options out there. Physical keyboards are still my best pick for phones. I too see more pros than cons over virtual keyboards.

There is some (a lot) of nit-picking going on in that list. Even though I listed all of the "backward steps" I could think of, I'd probably be happy with the keyboard.

I'm more concerned about the non-replaceable battery and the possibility of a MAXX version.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
How do you complain about something you haven't used? Especially calling it a step back, and worst Droid keyboard ever......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Only thing I hate about a keyboard is hard buttons, my phone has soft keys.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
How do you complain about something you haven't used? Especially calling it a step back, and worst Droid keyboard ever......

Because I looked at a picture of the keyboard.

And I didn't call it the worst Droid keyboard ever. I said "my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line". I then listed my reasons. How am I wrong? If I use the keyboard will the stupid CAPS LOCK disappear? Will all the missing symbols materialize? Will the @ symbol get it's own key? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the layout of the keyboard. Please share your opinions on how--in any way--the layout of the D4 keyboard is better than ANY of it's predecessors. Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to come up with one reason.

ej0rge

Reaction score
I came from a G1 and think the keyboard is great. aside from not having an @ symbol key. And the position of the quote key.

ws6formula350

Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic when I played with it at the store

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

mccompunerd

Reaction score
Coming from a Droid1 I'm really looking forward to getting my D4. The D4 keyboard having a dedicated number row, and having fewer symbols outside of the number row felt nice to me when I tested it out at a VZW store.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
I haven't used it, so I can't bash or worship it. But from the picture, I think it looks great because they've simplified it, and made it look cleaner. I prefer a cleaner look, and it doesn't bother me to hit an extra button to get to the lesser used symbols. I also think the spacing looks much better. I would love to give it a shot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums