Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
There are 2 benefits of a physical keyboard as I see it:
1) you can see the whole screen when typing/editing
2) makes entering key combos easier/possible. For example, for a quick copy paste or when entering weird key combos in a program like emacs.

#2 is the big reason I have to have a physical keyboard. I've tried using a virtual keyboard (like Hacker's keyboard) but it just doesn't work very well when ssh-ing and using a program like emacs.

Probably other reasons too, like:
3) type without looking

Reason one you gave is a HUGE advantage I think a lot of people overlook. And it just dawned on me that maybe you NEED those bigger screens when you don't have a physical keyboard so you can see more of what's going on as half your screen is taken up by a virtual keyboard....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I was a huge Motorola fan, but the last 4-5 months has really turned me off. I went Nexus in December and don't plan on coming back until Motorola decides they want to release (and support) higher quality phones less frequently. The sting of being trumped 2 months after release day is ridiculous. I know this doesn't bother a large part of the population, but I'd be willing to gather it bothers most of us here and the other main android based forums.

Unfortunately, this is one arena where iOS has Android beat. You feel a sense of pride knowing you are good for a year or so. Ideally, I'd want a release schedule between that of Apple and Motorola...kind of like Samsung :blink: Some of you may find this petty or spout the "this is tech, and there will always be something new coming" nonsense. My question to you is, why is Motorola the only company that handles it this way? Are they that much more awesome and can do so much more than the competition? The answer of course is no, they are not.

Back on topic, I personally think the D4 is extremely ugly. Guess I am in the minority.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the D4 KB is a step backward, but not for any reasons you elucidate. I just think a physical kb is a step backward. Swype typing is awesome! Seems to take less concentration that hitting all the little keys.
I know a lot of people love their physical kb so i'll shut up now, I just had to put that in.

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT

Coming from the OG droid and DROID 3, and now having the Nexus and using swype. And having swype on my DROID 3 when I typed in portrait mode, a keyboard is A LOT better then even that of swype or SwiftKey. Fast and more accurate. I do miss it sometimes. With a keyboard I almost never made mistakes typing. And while I type fast with virtual keys, autocorrect definitely saves me a lot.

The DROID 4 looks really ugly though. I loved the look of my DROID 3,it looked nice and sleek and my friends even thought it looked amazing.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

chappyc

Reaction score
Up till now I have always had a physical keyboard. I now have Razr Maxx. I use a program Thumb Keyboard on my Xoom tablet and I use this now on the Razr Maxx. It gives you a number pad and long press for all punctuation.

It is way faster than the physical keyboard and with haptic feedback, I actually type faster than with physical.

The longer battery and thumb keyboard has eliminated any desire for a physical keyboard. My past phones were D2G, HTC TP2, HTC Titan, Treo Windows, Treo Palm....

Trust me. I always was a proponent of physical keyboards. For my D2G i carried 4 batteries. Now with Razr Maxx and smart actions, I only need to charge at night or in the car only if I am using GPS. Battery is more important than physical keyboard.

Good luck...

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I was a huge Motorola fan, but the last 4-5 months has really turned me off. I went Nexus in December and don't plan on coming back until Motorola decides they want to release (and support) higher quality phones less frequently. The sting of being trumped 2 months after release day is ridiculous. I know this doesn't bother a large part of the population, but I'd be willing to gather it bothers most of us here and the other main android based forums.

Unfortunately, this is one arena where iOS has Android beat. You feel a sense of pride knowing you are good for a year or so. Ideally, I'd want a release schedule between that of Apple and Motorola...kind of like Samsung :blink: Some of you may find this petty or spout the "this is tech, and there will always be something new coming" nonsense. My question to you is, why is Motorola the only company that handles it this way? Are they that much more awesome and can do so much more than the competition? The answer of course is no, they are not.

Back on topic, I personally think the D4 is extremely ugly. Guess I am in the minority.

we are verizon people so we dont see all the devices samsung has listed Smartphones & Cell Phones | Samsung Mobile they have over 50 android devices listed for different carriers and so on. now motorola has gone a little release happy but every single company went a little crazy not as bad but everyone did there fair shair of to many phones. i am hoping that everyone takes a chill pill this year...

joemontana

Reaction score
guess I'm an exception. I'm a touch typist also, but in no way, at least to me, does tap tap tap with the thumbs on a keyboard resemble touch typing.

Also, I have never used "omg" or "lol" or "wtf" or anything like that. With swype, it's much harder to do those stupid "lol" type words than it is to type actual words.

Joe

I strongly prefer the hardware keyboard. I am a touch typist on the PC and love to type actual words, use punctuation, etc. The people who prefer the on screen keyboards are usually the ones who answer with "lol" "omg", etc.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Up till now I have always had a physical keyboard. I now have Razr Maxx. I use a program Thumb Keyboard on my Xoom tablet and I use this now on the Razr Maxx. It gives you a number pad and long press for all punctuation.

It is way faster than the physical keyboard and with haptic feedback, I actually type faster than with physical.

The longer battery and thumb keyboard has eliminated any desire for a physical keyboard. My past phones were D2G, HTC TP2, HTC Titan, Treo Windows, Treo Palm....

Trust me. I always was a proponent of physical keyboards. For my D2G i carried 4 batteries. Now with Razr Maxx and smart actions, I only need to charge at night or in the car only if I am using GPS. Battery is more important than physical keyboard.

Good luck...

As soon as somebody says, "Trust me.", I don't. And I don't believe a word of this crap. Sounds to me more like a paid advertisement than a sincere post.

"Good luck" with that.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got my hands on the D4 at CES and was really impressed with the keyboard. It is by far the best keyboard. The keys feel separate and are pushed down easily, unlike the D2. I miss having a keyboard, but I can type really fast on the Rezound even without a physical keyboard. I would actually really want the D4 except that I'm spoiled by the screen on the Rezound...it's just so much better than most other phones, including the D4.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I got my hands on the D4 at CES and was really impressed with the keyboard. It is by far the best keyboard. The keys feel separate and are pushed down easily, unlike the D2. I miss having a keyboard, but I can type really fast on the Rezound even without a physical keyboard. I would actually really want the D4 except that I'm spoiled by the screen on the Rezound...it's just so much better than most other phones, including the D4.

I believe you that, on the technical side, the feel of the D4 KB may be excellent. The layout, however, sucks! In that department, the D3 has by far the better KB.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Reaction score
Personally i wouldn't bother with the DROID4 I'd go with the Nexus or just wait for a quad core in the summer

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

+1

the screen is going to suck. physical keyboards are personal pref though.

i wonder when moto will finally stop releasing 4g lte phones with crappy screens :D

blackmagick20

Reaction score
+1

i wonder when moto will finally stop releasing 4g lte phones with crappy screens :D

I love the Droid 3's screen. Some of us that actually get outside need a phone we can see in sunlight.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Same screen as the D3, so it's really good outside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TC_Mits

Reaction score
+1

This thread is actually about keyboards, not displays. But...

The D3 pentile screen as a cost effective trade-off worked ok for that 3g phone. It may be more of a liability in terms of battery drain on an already power-starved LTE D4 model.

As a farmer, I expect I use my phone in sunlight more than most. For that, I do appreciate a pentile screen. But I also like to keep .avi movies on my SD card, so for that, it would be nice to have display of higher visual quality. It's a trade-off.

The backlighting on the D4 keyboard will also add to battery drain problems since you can't switch it off.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
This thread is actually about keyboards, not displays. But...

The D3 pentile screen as a cost effective trade-off worked ok for that 3g phone. It may be more of a liability in terms of battery drain on an already power-starved LTE D4 model.

As a farmer, I expect I use my phone in sunlight more than most. For that, I do appreciate a pentile screen. But I also like to keep .avi movies on my SD card, so for that, it would be nice to have display of higher visual quality. It's a trade-off.

The backlighting on the D4 keyboard will also add to battery drain problems since you can't switch it off.

( By DX w/DF app. )

i am sure they can make an app to turn off the keyboards back light. Also it only goes on if the light around it is below a certain level so if you are in a lit room or office or outside it should be off. I know there are better screens but my approach to this is a bit more business minded, i wish it had a amoled screen but i am ok with out it.