1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone that HAD data dropping issues that were actally FIXED by updates?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by KenjiWB, Feb 20, 2012.

1. KenjiWB

KenjiWB New Member

Hey all, I'm one of the early adopters that suffers to this day from data dropping that has become notorious with the Bionic (since day 1...). I love the phone, but I'm sick of the false hope every time an update promises to fix the issue, and then doesn't. Fortunately, I'm on Wifi so much that I almost don't notice, but if I'm on an extended car trip somewhere with the kids and I cant punch up Netflix, I get irate.

So I'm wondering, are there any people that have actually seen their Bionics fixed by these updates? I stopped by the Verizon store the other day to make my complaint formal, and got the typical "There's an update coming in the next couple of weeks that is going to fix it." So that's basically where I am now, I will give it two more weeks when the next update comes out, otherwise will demand a replacement, because it is ridiculous to expect me to turn the phone off and on every time data drops and wait 2 minutes for it to start up and HOPEFULLY have a function that I paid for...

Followup question...could it be that my Bionic itself is jacked up or will I see the same issues with any replacement I get?
  2. diablo81588

diablo81588 New Member

Not everyone is having issues with data dropping. I think it's more about your area, so i would imagine even the replacement would have the same problems.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
  3. vdubnut

vdubnut New Member

I can't say that it's been fixed... But it definitely has gotten much better with the updated versions. I haven't had a drop since 902, but I haven't traveled much since then either.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. KenjiWB

KenjiWB New Member

For background information, I purchased my phone while I was in Arizona, and used it there for about a month before heading back to Hawaii, same issues. Not a whole lot of places to 'travel' to on an island, but I can't imagine that data dropping is due to my location. When I have it, I have a pretty strong 4G connection.
  5. vdubnut

vdubnut New Member

Are you on 902? Also, the times mine had trouble weren't in low signal area's... It seemed like it was when it was handing off from one tower to the next, if that makes sense.

6. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

If you're going to demand a replacement DO NOT GO into a verizon store. Call Verizon (*611 from your phone), and talk with a CSR. They have a lot more authorization and wiggle room to work with customers unlike the store employees.

The only reason to go into a verizon store is to buy something. If you want to complain, or want something "out of the ordinary" call verizon. You'll get A LOT further, and better results.
  7. jspencer67

jspencer67 New Member

I travel a lot throughout my area (Field Tech Job) and I can say that the data drop issue I was having seemed to go away since .902

very strong connection to 4G and seamless transitions back and forth between the two radios
  8. felixtibs

felixtibs New Member

I haven't lost a connection in over a month thank God

9. Tonik

Tonik Member

Yes, both updates and especially 902 have fixed the data issues very well for me. And from what I read my impression is that it fixed it for most people. Are you on 902 and still having problems? If you are then call VZ, don't go to their stores. They will drive you crazy. Call VZ, let them know you are still having problems. They will send you a new phone, if that doesn't fix it for you after trying a couple of new phones they will give you the option of getting a different model...if you push them a little.

Now, if you are not on 902 then speak up and we will help get you on it.
  10. Scribble

Scribble New Member

902 does seem a lot better actually. I had one data drop a few days ago, but that's the only one since the update... (I also had it in my pocket in an area of my house I know gets very poor signal to begin with, so maybe it just went into sleep mode, and didn't come back out?)
  11. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

I've had my phone since launch day and had a big problem with data drops until the.893 update. Since then, and especially on .902, I haven't had a drop at all that wasn't network related.

12. mandragora

mandragora New Member

Mine has always been pretty good but my friend had lot's of data drops with long recoveries. He is still getting some drops but the recovery is much faster.
  13. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

My boyfriend had been getting data drops on his a lot. The 901 update fixed it for him, and to my knowledge he hasn't updated to 902 because he's scared it'll screw things up again.
  14. Sanitarium09

Sanitarium09 New Member

No drops since I used the 901 update. 902 is performing the same. Before 901 I had constant drops.
  15. BroidDrionic

BroidDrionic New Member

886 and 5.5.893 and 5.7.893 were absolutely awful for me in terms of data drops, bsods, random reboots, and battery pulls.
    As soon as I installed 901, all my problems went away. 902 is the same: perfect. Havent lost 4g in about two months unless I'm way outside the city.

16. bk1242

bk1242 New Member

I had unbearable data drops before updating to 901 which fixed the problem for me almost entirely. After updating to 902 I had a lot of drops for the first day or two but after pulling the battery the problem seems to have gone away

17. KL1

KL1 Member

902 is definitely better for data drops.
    I too have had my Bionic since day 1. I had horrible drops to where mist if the time I had no signal.
    I went the 7.893 route and was still so frustrated that I quit messing with it and learned to live with it.
    I got back on update path and got to 902 and since then have had only a few drops.
    I dint live in the best 4g area but 90%of the time I get 4g. 3g is quick to take over and I have no more complaints.
    At this point I think its verizon and not Motorola.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  18. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I'm one of those who never had the data drop.

That being said, I was getting a series of "Ability to check updates not available at this time" messages. When that's happened in the past I removed the battery and sim card, replaced the battery and powered up. Then I powered down, removed the battery, replaced the sim card (& battery) and powered up again. Well, one time I put the sim card in backwards and fried it. All I could get was 3G. I took it to a Verizon store, told them what I did and what happened, and they swapped it with a new sim card for free. 4G came back quickly.
  19. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Working great, very few drops.

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk
  20. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I got my Bionic about 6 weeks after they came out. I had a few drop and reconnect issues within the first 2 weeks or so. Since not one single issue. I am still on .886. I have never had a push update, and I have never had anything other than the not available message when I check for system updates.
Search tags for this page

droid bionic problems fixed