Anyone switch from Droid X to Droid 2?

CLS

Reaction score
I've had my Droid X for a few days, and while I love the functions of the phone, I'm still really on the fence about the size. Being female, I carry it in a handbag, but it's even that is somewhat difficult unless you have a really big handbag. Most of them have a interior pocket for a phone, but because of the height, it tends to stick up too far. I also have small hands, so it's frequently a two handed operation for me to use some things. It seems like the biggest benefit to the size is for videos and that's something I would probably rarely use.

Anyway, I'm considering a switch to the Droid 2 but have never had a phone with a slider and am concerned with the durability. I like having the option of using either a virtual keyboard with swype or a regular keyboard.

Has anyone switched from the X to the 2? If so, were you happy or sorry you changed?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid. It was my first phone with a slide out keyboard. I've not had any issues with my phone. It is very solid. I do not know if my experience will transfer to the Droid 2 but my sense is they are very close.

Mike

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
From what I hear, the main difference from the X and the D2 is the X's large screen and the D2's physical keyboard. Aside from that, the specs are virtually the same. I have the D2 and I'm very happy with it. Judging from your post, I think you'll be pretty satisfied by switching.

bcserl

Reaction score
I bet you can find someone to trade easily enough since the X is so difficult to find right now. Slide out hasn't posed any problems for me or my daughters phones. I have the D1 and she has the D2. The D2 virtual keyboard is a lot easier/better, especially for women (those with long nails) than that of the D1.

SID KELLY

Reaction score
I personally love the size of the D2--Didn't get the X as it was too big--I'm a guy but have small hands and the D2 is the perfect size for me. Also--I wear 'cargo' shorts during the Summer (due to a major heat stroke/ shock in 2000) and the D2 slides into out of the small phone?? pocket easily where the X wouldn't.

bizzshow

Reaction score
Shoot I would happily trade for a dx i really just want the larger screen

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the D2 would be a better phone for you - I have large hands and the DX feels like a lot of phone to me.

D2 is a great phone - screen is still quite large, keyboard on D2 is really well done, and specs (CPU, memory, etc.) are the same.

Another option if you want a bigger screen than D2 but not as big a phone as DX, is to look into the Fascinate (coming out soon) on Verizon - 4" screen, physically just a little larger than the Droid2, no physical keyboard, beautiful, bright screen.

pool_shark

Reaction score

So what's stopping you? Aren't you still in your 30 days?

For me it's a matter of having to go back to my Omnia which was really getting on my nerves and wait 2 - 3 weeks for the X to ship.

I played with the X in the store yesterday. It isn't as big as I thought it was which is one thing that was holding back before I bought the D2. But the lack of 2.2 and flash would be a downgrade just for a larger screen (yes I know the update is supposed to be coming).
The HDMI output means absolutely nothing to me, but for some reason I keep wondering if I'm missing anything with the larger screen.
My 30 days is up on the 9th, the same date the Fascinate is supposed to debut.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the d1 is only a 5mp camera still isn't it? Dx is 8, but if you're just using it for snapshots, that shouldn't matter.

I had the d1 and upgraded to the x. Now, when I play with my cousin's original or my friend's d1, I find myself quinting. Haha!

But...I'm 6'2 with larger hands/longer fingers than anyone I know. Ever since I got into touch screen phones, I reserve my left pants pocket for my phone and nothing else.

The d1 is a great phone though, and sounds like it'd be a better fit for you. I like how much bigger my kerboard and other buttons are, but I don't have little hands, like I said.

As hook mentioned, if you're in the initial 30 days, you can swap easy as pie.

Emitted from X.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

So what's stopping you? Aren't you still in your 30 days?

For me it's a matter of having to go back to my Omnia which was really getting on my nerves and wait 2 - 3 weeks for the X to ship.

I played with the X in the store yesterday. It isn't as big as I thought it was which is one thing that was holding back before I bought the D2. But the lack of 2.2 and flash would be a downgrade just for a larger screen (yes I know the update is supposed to be coming).
The HDMI output means absolutely nothing to me, but for some reason I keep wondering if I'm missing anything with the larger screen.
My 30 days is up on the 9th, the same date the Fascinate is supposed to debut.

2.2 is definitely coming to the X...when is always a variable, but it'll be there.

OP
C

CLS

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their input. I went to my local Verizon store today and did trade for the D2. It just felt far more comfortable in my hand. It's really odd, but whenever I was using the DX, I always felt a little stressed. I think it was because it just didn't fit my hands well so I was always afraid of dropping it. I don't have that feeling with the D2.

I also did get to see the Fascinate and if it had been the size of the D2, I'd have seriously been tempted. Lengthwise, it's between the DX and D2, but it's the same width as the DX. I think it was the width of the DX that felt most uncomfortable to me.

Both the DX and D2 are great phones, so you can't go wrong with whichever one feels right.