Anyone Switch from Droid Incredible to Droid 3

crazycell

Reaction score
As the title states........anyone on here make the jump from a DInc to the Droid 3?

I had and original Droid on release day and then jumped to DInc. Like the idea of a keyboard although I have gotten pretty darn good on the virtual keyboard!!!

Biggest concerns are the size and weight.

Couple co-workers have T-Bolt's and they are like carrying around calculators due to their size (let alone battery sucking 4G).

Thanks for your input!!!

Last edited:

SrulDog

Reaction score
Dinc to D3

I had a Dinc and ordered my D3 the minute it was up for pre-order on verizon's website - i can't stand the touch screen keyboard, especially when composing long business emails.

Comparing it to the D3, the Dinc is significantly more svelte - its a really nice piece of hardware.The D3 is indeed heavier, but its such a solid phone and it has the keyboard, so it makes sense that its bigger. If size and design are your biggest concerns, I'd wait for the galaxy s II - its supposed to be gorgeous and svelte.

I think the D3 is a lot more managable than the Thunderbold. The battery on the D3 is adequate, and the size makes sense due to the keyboard. Also, it doesn't feel as big as the Thunderboldt, though it may very well be (i don't know the weights and dimensions, but the Thunderbolt feels heavier).

All in all, the D3 is not nearly as bad as the thunderbolt in terms of size and battery, but it definitely takes getting used to. If you don't mind the touchscreen keyboard, I'd wait for the gs II.

pedromartinez

Reaction score
As the title states........anyone on here make the jump from a DInc to the Droid 3?

I had and original Droid on release day and then jumped to DInc. Like the idea of a keyboard although I have gotten pretty darn good on the virtual keyboard!!!

Biggest concerns are the size and weight.

Couple co-workers have T-Bolt's and they are like carrying around calculators due to their size (let alone battery sucking 4G).

Thanks for your input!!!

I have. It is a solid upgrade.

My major concerns are:
1. The screen does not look as good as the incredible.
2. The pictures look cool blue or this could just be a side effect of the screen. But the pictures are better than the Incredible.
3. Doesn't have 4G.

Now some pluses:
1. Much faster and that says a lot because the incredible was fast
2. The keyboard is the best out there.
3. The larger resolution is convenient.
4. Front facing camera.
5. Call quality sounds better on speaker.
6. The headphone jack is very clear. My Incredible used to play high pitched noises into the head phone jack.
7. Feels solid. The Incredible felt flimsy without the silicon case.
8. Has Gingerbread. Big plus is viewing HTML email outside of GMail.

If it had 4G it would be the perfect phone.

phonixzero

Reaction score
I made the switch from the Dinc to the Droid 3.

I loved the Dinc and the sense ui but, I really like the Droid 3 so far.
I only miss the root and wireless tether I had but pdanet will work for now.

The size difference is noticable but I don't mind it at all. Its a large phone but fits well in my pockets.

Never knew how nice a physical keyboard would be ( last one I has was the HTC Wing )
Switched and have not looked back

SrulDog

Reaction score
I second the sentiment about 4G.

What do you mean about the screen on the D3 not looking as good as the Dinc? I know it has more pixels, but because the screen is bgger, im not sure about the pixel density. In any event, i feel like the screen on the D3 is better. Not as good as the charge, but better than the dinc.

rushmore

Reaction score
I prefer the D3 display over the Inc and had one since launch. Reds looked cartoony and display was weak when viewing outside. D3 looks sharper and brighter.

Also nice to be away from the infamous 135mb data/data folder issue and nice having a keyboard as good as the D3s.

Freway01

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my wife's feature phone (LG Env) to the Incredible 2 so I could get her on the unlimited data plan but she hated using the touch screen keyboard so I had to send it back (Wirefly). Called Verizon and told them what happened and that I wanted to keep the unlimited data plan and was waiting for Wirefly to notify Verizon that I canceled the phone and as soon as I got her upgrade eligibility back I was going to get another smartphone for her. At that time we were looking at the Droid 2 Global but then the Droid 3 came out.

As soon as her line was eligible again, I got the Droid 3 for her and she loves the keyboard. This is her first smartphone so it's all new to her, but she's slowly learning.

Personally I liked the HTC interface better but that may be because I'm still using the HTC Touch Pro2 (waiting for the Bionic or Galxaxy S2) but the more I play with her phone the more I like it.

Armchairbear

Reaction score
I too switched from a Droid Incredible to a Droid 3.

I was actually waiting for the Samsung Galaxy SII because it got good reviews. But the only downside for me is that I didn't want a 4.3" screen phone. I have small hands and every phone that size I've held didn't feel good in hand. I liked the 4" screen phones better.

My coworker tried to convince me to get the Thunderbolt. But I didn't like the size, and I specifically do not want 4G. The extra $10 a month is not worth it. 3G is plenty good enough for me.

When the Droid 3 quietly came out, I liked it on specs alone. The Droid 3 specs had everything I wanted. I was never good with the virtual keyboards. I was really glad that they added a dedicated number row.

I'm really glad that the battery life on the D3 is much better than the Inc.

I really liked my Inc, but the bad battery life was really annoying me. I hated having to turn off so many features just so my battery could last a whole day. What's the point of having a smart phone if so many features are turned off?

I really like the fast OMAP4 processor. I'm really enjoying the smooth 3D graphics in games.

The only downside is the colors of the screen. Some colors look really washed out, like yellow, orange, and green. That's my only real complaint about the D3.

dancedroid

Aiesline

Reaction score
My coworker tried to convince me to get the Thunderbolt. But I didn't like the size, and I specifically do not want 4G. The extra $10 a month is not worth it. 3G is plenty good enough for me.

what extra $10 a month?

Armchairbear

Reaction score
Oops, nevermind, it was Sprint that costs an extra $10 a month for 4G data plan, not verizon.

Still, I don't need 4G draining my battery.