Anyone still have the echo?

raven1911

Reaction score
I was talking to my wife today and still have that damn echo on my Droid. It comes and goes and not sure how to get rid of the darn thing! Any suggestions?

MrKleen

Reaction score
The sound that I hear is always wonderful. However the experience that whoever I am talking to varies. However as a rule of thumb most people that I talk with are not happy that I have a new phone cause I sound terrible to them often.

Some times I sound like I am far away, sometimes echo, many times very loud but very bad quality. I am on my third phone and this phone works very well except for outgoing sound quality.

I think this phone is more of a computer type device and that is where the attention went when designing it, not phone call quality.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
call quality was the main thing i worried about before i got the phone but in the month ive had it no one ive talked to has complained about the quality from my end.

crspang

Reaction score
Ive had echo problems before, but its always been a network issue. Meaning its happened on multiple devices. One thing I've noticed is that certain areas around me seem to be more susceptible to having echo issues, so I attribute that to the towers.

As far as call quality I've also noticed that if you don't speak clearly and CLOSELY into the mic while using the phone in regular mode (not speaker or Bluetooth) the Droid filters your voice as background noise.

I did this experiment at my office two weeks ago;
I called my office phone using my Droid and answered then I placed the Droid next my bookshelf stereo speaker that had talk radio playing then using the handset of the office phone I went into the lobby of my office to hear what the call quality would be. I could just barely make out the talk on the radio which was strange because the mic on the Droid was literally one inch away from the speaker. So I had a coworker grab the Droid and talk normally into it and I could here him perfectly!

I've since repeated this using various methods and my conclusion is that speaking clearly and close to the mic is imperative with my Droid, otherwise people on the other end of the call complain that the call sounds muffled.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I still occasionally have complaints about how I sound. I found that switching to speakerphone, then back to the handset fixes the problem every time.

You would think that would be something that could be fixed in SW...

jc

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have also found that turning speakerphone on and off during the call fixes the problem. Using a bluetooth headset is another solution. There is a huge thread on the motorola forum about this and they say they are investigating/working on it.

To be clear about this, the echo and garbling problem is only heard by the person on the other end of the conversation and it doesn't happen all the time. Some people have said that a reboot makes the problem go away for a while. People have tried changing hidden phone settings but it doesn't seem to fix this problem. Many people have returned their Droids several times only to find it happen again. There is a bug report on the google code site regarding this. Go there and star this issue to get google's attention:

Issue 5175 - android - Call quality on Droid is poor - Project Hosting on Google Code

I think that it is a software issue specific to the Droid. Other android phones don't seem to have this problem. It has been suggested that it may have something to do with the noise-cancelling code. I hope motorola and google fix this with the next update but until then I'm trying to reboot every few days and I'm thinking of starting calls with speakerphone on or using bluetooth whenever I remember to.

biteme

Reaction score
The issue I have is with the audio digitizing, and usually happens when I have 1 or 2 bars of signal. Unfortuneately, that's what I have when at home. :mad: