Anyone scared of Personal

whiddles

Reaction score
I have been downloading apps like crazy and I just started to look at what information goes out to the developer. This can be scary for us if developers start to steal personal information for the wrong reasons. Its seems to easy to steal.

What do you think? Does google monitor this?

JayMonster

Reaction score
with every app you download, you are provided a list of what information the app can access. If you are not comfortable with it... don't download it. Stick with companies/products you trust.

OP
whiddles

whiddles

Reaction score
i understand but can developers get around that?

JayMonster

Reaction score
They are not supposed to be able to, any library they use is listed...but is it "possible". I'm sure somebody *could* find a way.... I don't think any mobile platform is bulletproof. (The same is true of any app you download on your PC). Be careful for sure, look and see what others say before downloading a new app, don't take candy (or apps not in the markwt) from strangers) and you should be fine. Be too paranoid and you will never be able to reap the benefits of having such a powerful device.

eagles51593

Reaction score
I'm not really worried. I don't think they can look at anything other than what they state, and even if they do, I don't post private info like credit card numbers or anything else on my droid. With the thousands of people using Droids, that's all they'd be looking for..... I would think. But I'd highly doubt this would happen, and the chances fo you getting picked is extremely small.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything is possible... but other than contacts and e-mail, there's no personal information I'm concerned about on my Droid.

floyd

Reaction score
Mobile Privacy Policy is Googles privacy disclaimer. According to it, third-party android apps can gather personal info and do whatever they want with it (personal contacts, location, etc.). Google specifically stands away from this, but allows it. It's the Wild West up in here. iPhone vs Google is like Nazis vs KGB. Pick your poison.

jgmarto

Reaction score
I had some of the same concerns, and I do not understand why the developers need to access any personal information. But I am new to this smartphone thing and there may be a reason. I can see apps that taylor themselves to your personal preferences seeing what you browse or your location. But not much of anything else. I just don't get why they need the info.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
CRAP, I have the combination to my gym locker saved in my phone! :D

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do you think? Does google monitor this?
There are definitely other threads that already cover this. Have you referred to them at all?

I had some of the same concerns, and I do not understand why the developers need to access any personal information.
Again -- refer to the existing threads. The short version is that what an app needs access to isn't always readily apparent by what it says it is accessing.

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
I had some of the same concerns, and I do not understand why the developers need to access any personal information. But I am new to this smartphone thing and there may be a reason. I can see apps that taylor themselves to your personal preferences seeing what you browse or your location. But not much of anything else. I just don't get why they need the info.

It is hard to give an explaination without you giving me an example of what you are talking about specifically, but for example purposes, I will use ChompSMS

It needs access to your Messaging... Obvious Enough.

It needs access to your Personal Information... well it wouldn't be very useful if you couldn't select your contacts

It needs access to storage... to save and write files

It needs access to phone calls... so it can stop and not interfere when phone is ringing and doesn't pop up a message when you are using the phone.

It controls Services that cost you money... not everybody has unlimited FREE SMS, and for everybody else SMS costs, or potentially costs you money.

Not every service in the API, and sometimes because of the library it is using it (in theory) has access to more information than it may need. But that is why it allows you to see it (though some complain about having to see that information when installing an app).

When in doubt, e-mail the developer and ask him(her) why. If they can't give you a satisfactory answer, then don't download it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Short of living like the uni-bomber had you will always be susceptible to privacy issues.