anyone running advanace task killer on Bionic??

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Have you ever tried them, or are you just proving my point that you read an article and spread that new found knowledge on the internet as fact?? If this were "fact" as you call it, why would Motorola include the manager on their phone as stock? Did I just dream that my phone was stuttering and cleared up after killing all of my apps and freeing up memory? As I stated to the OP in my last post, don't listen to the garbage about it being baaaad for your phone. Try it, if it doesn't work for your then delete...simple as that. Good luck!

I think there's a little placebo effect going on with you saying that auto-killing apps made your phone faster, but whatever floats your boat. As long as your happy with your phone that's all that matters.

Sent from my DROIDX

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried them, or are you just proving my point that you read an article and spread that new found knowledge on the internet as fact?? If this were "fact" as you call it, why would Motorola include the manager on their phone as stock? Did I just dream that my phone was stuttering and cleared up after killing all of my apps and freeing up memory? As I stated to the OP in my last post, don't listen to the garbage about it being baaaad for your phone. Try it, if it doesn't work for your then delete...simple as that. Good luck!

I agree with your posts on the subject. Yes, in theory you don't need a task killer because android is supposed to manage tasks on its own. In practice that's simply not the case. Android even gb android has poor task management. I think what your saying is right that ppl just read an article and then pass it on as truth. How task managing works on linux and how it works on android is night and day even if they're supposed to be similar.

To the op I say try it out and see if it helps. While it may be true that if your ocd killing Apps every five minutes your battery may die quicker, the truth is there's nothing wrong with using a task killer if you want one. Plus its not like your going to get five hours of extra batt life just cuz you uninstalled it. Too much misinformation going around about them....

km75

Reaction score
My advice to anybody would be try it and if you feel it works for you then fine. THAT BEING SAID I tried memory booster and watchdog just to see what would happenand experienced forcecloses and some apps just turning right back on. So I just use the TASK MANAGER that comes pre-installed on my d3. Even with that I still see some apps coming back on. I'm not sure if its just the apps themselves or the widgets running on my homescreen. For instance I use power amp and it alaways turns back on. Mind you now I do use the power amp widget. If you try a task killer you will see that even if you use a task killer to kill an app it will just turn right back a mi ute or two later. The whole point of ram is too keep the apps you are most likely to use readily available so they come up quicker. So this is why we are told we don't need to use 3rd party TK's. From my research and experience I agree with this. I think more benefit can be derived from limiting the amount of syncing and push notifications certain apps do. For example twitter facebook etc. To each his own though. Just offering my 2 cents. If you use something and you reach the conclusion that TK's benefits outweight the negatives then go with it. Me personally...I can't see any benefits so I don't use them.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My advice to anybody would be try it and if you feel it works for you then fine. THAT BEING SAID I tried memory booster and watchdog just to see what would happenand experienced forcecloses and some apps just turning right back on. So I just use the TASK MANAGER that comes pre-installed on my d3. Even with that I still see some apps coming back on. I'm not sure if its just the apps themselves or the widgets running on my homescreen. For instance I use power amp and it alaways turns back on. Mind you now I do use the power amp widget. If you try a task killer you will see that even if you use a task killer to kill an app it will just turn right back a mi ute or two later. The whole point of ram is too keep the apps you are most likely to use readily available so they come up quicker. So this is why we are told we don't need to use 3rd party TK's. From my research and experience I agree with this. I think more benefit can be derived from limiting the amount of syncing and push notifications certain apps do. For example twitter facebook etc. To each his own though. Just offering my 2 cents. If you use something and you reach the conclusion that TK's benefits outweight the negatives then go with it. Me personally...I can't see any benefits so I don't use them.

I think keeping it automated is pointless because it'll just start right back up, but there's nothing wrong with killing them when you want them killed manually. but your post is correct, whatever works for the person is the best choice.

km75

Reaction score
I think keeping it automated is pointless because it'll just start right back up, but there's nothing wrong with killing them when you want them killed manually. but your post is correct, whatever works for the person is the best choice.

Yeah I was just thinking about that. But did you see what I wrote about the widgets? Do you think the reason why some apps I have set to end after 2 minutes of the screen going off using task manager come back on is bcuz I have the corresponding widget or the app as a shortcut on my homescreen? That's what I was thinking. What's your opinion?

Infiniti87

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread but there is a task manager pre-installed on the Bionic called "Task Manager" in the app drawer lol. ATK is not needed. I tried it on my Bionic because i used to use it on my OG Droid for the same reasons as Shadez but it brought my Bionic to a crawl. Now when I say i used it on my Og Droid, I only used it if I was having trouble with an app that would not shut itself down or if it was frozen or locked up. I didn't sit there and kill all my apps every five minutes. While ATK didn't seem to affect the performance of my OG Droid it sure does on my Bionic.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was just thinking about that. But did you see what I wrote about the widgets? Do you think the reason why some apps I have set to end after 2 minutes of the screen going off using task manager come back on is bcuz I have the corresponding widget or the app as a shortcut on my homescreen? That's what I was thinking. What's your opinion?

Yeah very well could be...these apps all run services which can restart themselves easily if they want to. Having a facebook widget on your homescreen and then trying to kill facebook every two minutes probably is what causes it to keep restarting. in my case, i use autostarts to make sure things dont start up for no reason (like Music starting up when I change locales?) and then either go into the running services and kill off what i dont need every once in a while when i notice sluggishness or use a task killer to do it manually.

The truth of the matter is, the android OS simply is not an efficient task manager. You pretty much have to go in there and start killing things off yourself sometimes. For that reason, I see no problem with someone just using an app to do it. but again, running it automated is probably more harmful then beneficial...and of course on the newer phones with more RAM it becomes less noticeable of an issue, but the amount of unnecessary services that run (and stay running) hours after you've used the corresponding app shows that there's no efficiency in task killing...

km75

Reaction score
Yeah very well could be...these apps all run services which can restart themselves easily if they want to. Having a facebook widget on your homescreen and then trying to kill facebook every two minutes probably is what causes it to keep restarting. in my case, i use autostarts to make sure things dont start up for no reason (like Music starting up when I change locales?) and then either go into the running services and kill off what i dont need every once in a while when i notice sluggishness or use a task killer to do it manually.

The truth of the matter is, the android OS simply is not an efficient task manager. You pretty much have to go in there and start killing things off yourself sometimes. For that reason, I see no problem with someone just using an app to do it. but again, running it automated is probably more harmful then beneficial...and of course on the newer phones with more RAM it becomes less noticeable of an issue, but the amount of unnecessary services that run (and stay running) hours after you've used the corresponding app shows that there's no efficiency in task killing...

I hear you. Truth be told I see more battery life improvement if I disable push notifications and data. Drastic improvements actually. But that defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. At least for me anyway. I will say that there is one app I use that if I forget to kill it the TASK MANGER that's pre-installed on the droid3 will say "this app has been running for 45 minutes-would you like to end it?" So the task manager has benefits associated with it. I know you're probably thinking why doesn't this 'GENIUS' (lol) just get rid of the stupid rogue app? Well its a music app that I use to download music to my phone. Couldn't see not using it. But its nice to have the task manager let me know that it has been running too long and give me the option to kill it. In all honesty I'm quite satisfied with the battery life on my phone at this juncture. Hey that's what they sell extended batteries for I guess right? Lol

xxpigxx

Reaction score
The issue is its not needed. It does more detriment than good on current phones. That and its asked about a good 10 times weekly here.

Not so. There are many reasons for an app killer.

Frozen apps. Apps that start for no apparent reason and decide to start polling, etc.

As for a detriment? Sorry. My battery life is longer with ATK than without it. I also have less freezing and random reboots with it on my OG.

If it is so detrimental, why is one included in Gingerbread?

xxpigxx

Reaction score
I think there's a little placebo effect going on with you saying that auto-killing apps made your phone faster, but whatever floats your boat. As long as your happy with your phone that's all that matters.

Sent from my DROIDX

Negadtive. When the phone is sputtering along and I open up ATK and have 20 random apps running (most of which have no business being open), and I kill them, and my phone flows like silk. That is not placebo.