1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

anyone running advanace task killer on Bionic??

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by fucco, Sep 15, 2011.

1. fucco

fucco New Member

I had major battery issues on my bionic with extended battery. I had the ext battery swapped 2 days ago and yesterday the phone. Unfortunately, after a full 100% turned off charge i am getting the same 7 hours of useage from the phone. I am in 3g area with 4g shut off. I also have wifi and bluetooth off. When i had the phone swapped at verizon they told me to get advanced task killer. I used to have it back in the day but got rid of it over a year ago. Is it needed with ginger bread??? They downloaded it last night to my new bionic. Should I remove it?
  2. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

Remove it.
  3. kevsgroove

kevsgroove Member

Umm, no. It's my understanding that android devices are better without. I get about 7 hours on just better than medium use now. Which is acceptable to me running 4G 90% of the time.
  4. jstwondrng

jstwondrng New Member

That is correct! I went to a Verizon Wireless store and one of the sales reps actually removed it from my phone. I thought it was still a necessary tool, but he said it can do more harm than good.
  5. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

I'm a software developer, so i can appreciate ALL forms of software that make it to completion, but i sure do wish Advanced Task Killer would just die.. it'd sure save alot of people trouble.
  6. xxpigxx

xxpigxx New Member

I am not seeing the issue with the app?
  7. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

The issue is its not needed. It does more detriment than good on current phones. That and its asked about a good 10 times weekly here.
  8. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

It hasn't been needed since Froyo. The OS's have a built in task killer now. By having ATK installed and manually killing apps, you are wasting more battery. This is because the apps will start back up in the background over and over as you kill them

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  9. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

ADK is an app the a person decides whether or not they want to use. I use it. Sometimes, especially with new apps, that freeze, ADK stops them from running and and is a lot easier than going into manage apps, find the app and doing a force close, or rebooting. Like I said, it's a personal decision everyone should make on their own. I, myself, find it very handy. Necessary? No .. but useful for me.
  10. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Try it and see if it helps or not...certainly can't hurt. You will get a lot of people on here that just repeat what they have heard over and over and over again without actually trying for themselves. Yes, Android is based on Linux and Yes, Android is supposed to properly manage its apps/memory. That being said, up until gingerbread, Android sucked at managing its own apps/memory. Both my OG Droid and Evo stuttered and slowed down over time...a quick "kill all" using the task manager would clear it up and back to smooth in no time. I don't really see that with the Bionic, although I have the built in task manager set up to kill just about anything after a certain time. Bottom line, don't listen to everyone's repeats...test it for yourself...won't hurt a thing and you'll learn something for yourself from experience vs. 3rd party.
  11. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Read that. Its a fact that auto-killing apps does more harm than good.

Sent from my DROIDX
  12. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 New Member

U don't need ATK on Gingerbread, it manages tasks way better than Froyo. Get rid of it, ur just killing ur battery faster.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  13. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Have you ever tried them, or are you just proving my point that you read an article and spread that new found knowledge on the internet as fact?? If this were "fact" as you call it, why would Motorola include the manager on their phone as stock? Did I just dream that my phone was stuttering and cleared up after killing all of my apps and freeing up memory? As I stated to the OP in my last post, don't listen to the garbage about it being baaaad for your phone. Try it, if it doesn't work for your then delete...simple as that. Good luck!
  14. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

I should have stated...try the stock manager...no need to install aftermarket TK.
  15. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

That google message about ATK, first off is misleading. It explains how the android system handles app management and why THEY think you shouldn't use it. For some people, it is a handy tool. I have used since D1 and with the new version, it doesn't close all apps. If it works for you, use it. If you find its using more battery than you want it to, than don't .. there have been so many threads about this it's like beating a dead horse that's already been, buried, reincarnated into a unicorn than beating it to death again ..
  16. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

I think there's a little placebo effect going on with you saying that auto-killing apps made your phone faster, but whatever floats your boat. As long as your happy with your phone that's all that matters.

Sent from my DROIDX
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I agree with your posts on the subject. Yes, in theory you don't need a task killer because android is supposed to manage tasks on its own. In practice that's simply not the case. Android even gb android has poor task management. I think what your saying is right that ppl just read an article and then pass it on as truth. How task managing works on linux and how it works on android is night and day even if they're supposed to be similar.

To the op I say try it out and see if it helps. While it may be true that if your ocd killing Apps every five minutes your battery may die quicker, the truth is there's nothing wrong with using a task killer if you want one. Plus its not like your going to get five hours of extra batt life just cuz you uninstalled it. Too much misinformation going around about them....
  18. km75

km75 New Member

My advice to anybody would be try it and if you feel it works for you then fine. THAT BEING SAID I tried memory booster and watchdog just to see what would happenand experienced forcecloses and some apps just turning right back on. So I just use the TASK MANAGER that comes pre-installed on my d3. Even with that I still see some apps coming back on. I'm not sure if its just the apps themselves or the widgets running on my homescreen. For instance I use power amp and it alaways turns back on. Mind you now I do use the power amp widget. If you try a task killer you will see that even if you use a task killer to kill an app it will just turn right back a mi ute or two later. The whole point of ram is too keep the apps you are most likely to use readily available so they come up quicker. So this is why we are told we don't need to use 3rd party TK's. From my research and experience I agree with this. I think more benefit can be derived from limiting the amount of syncing and push notifications certain apps do. For example twitter facebook etc. To each his own though. Just offering my 2 cents. If you use something and you reach the conclusion that TK's benefits outweight the negatives then go with it. Me personally...I can't see any benefits so I don't use them.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I think keeping it automated is pointless because it'll just start right back up, but there's nothing wrong with killing them when you want them killed manually. but your post is correct, whatever works for the person is the best choice.
  20. brent.murray

brent.murray New Member

Search tags for this page

best app killer for bionic

bionic advanced task killer
does the bionic have a built in task killer

task killer droid bionic