1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone prefer the stock ROM with their own customization?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by kiyanofosho, Apr 1, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Does anyone prefer the stock 2.1 ESE81 Rom instead of the custom 2.1 roms. So far, I have a custom kernal on my stock ESE81 and its so much smoother than the custom roms. ive tried Cyanogenmod, UltimateDroid, DroidMod, and none seem to satisfy me as much as the stock. I still cant find the benefits of having a custom rom. Can someone show me the light?
  2. justreboot

justreboot New Member

Well overclocking/ custom boots and framework are some of the benefits. Personally, tethering doesn't do it for me (wired or wireless). I don't need the internet 'that' bad. I always travel with my MacBook, so if I have wifi, its with me- If not, meh...
  3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

as far as i know there are no roms out with 2.1 ESE81. i know some are being tested. actually i recall reading about one that just happened last night but i don't remember what it was
  4. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I just like how smooth my overclocked stock rom is. And you can usually download the apks for the tether apps
  5. mnherky

mnherky New Member

I feel the same way
  6. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

Well, that is all the ROM guys are doing too.

They are doing what you just recommended. They are changing some themes and adding a couple apps and maybe adding a bash shell.

If you can do those things youself, then you DON'T need ROMs ... you have, in fact, created your own ROM.
  7. Corinacakes

Ok i guess i don't understand the question. None of the roms he/she has tried was even running on ese81. so how could anyone answer that question?! maybe bump this up in a week lol
  8. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

i've seen several threads of the 81 rom...am i off?
  9. Corinacakes

10. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

11. Corinacakes

yah that's the one i was talking about in post #3. but ese81 is still only in testing in all the roms he/she mentioned above. i don't think any of those have been released. natediddy is testing one right now that's "flash at your own risk" for Blackdroid. i don't mean to cause a big debate and maybe i'm off base but as far as i'm concerned...until those roms mentioned in the op release a version of their rom running on ese81...the question isn't fair. i mean my God...2.1 just came out "officially" so it's gonna take SOME time to rebuild the whole thing with deox

EDIT: is Cyanogenmod running 8.1? someone said how sweet it is this morning. i KNOW droidmod isn't
  12. subguy812

subguy812 New Member

I think the OP is referring to using maybe Pete's stock ese81 and making his own customizations from vaious Metamorph theme parts. The stock rooted ese81 runs very smoothly on it's own. That is exactly what I did yesterday when Pete released the stock rooted ROM. I found a battery icon I liked and the transparent widget Metamorph as well as one of Chevy's lv kernels and they work great and it is very smooth. I also tried to install a dark task bar and it FC'ed so bad I ended up doing a restore. I have been tweaking and doing a nandroid after each thing I try.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  13. Corinacakes

ok but their op said

ive tried Cyanogenmod, UltimateDroid, DroidMod, and none seem to satisfy me as much as the stock. I still cant find the benefits of having a custom rom. Can someone show me the light?

that's why i didn't think it was a fair question.

carry on :D
  14. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

Everyone has their favorite rom. I've only tried a couple. The one I like is Smoked Glass, which you don't list above. I've got Smoked Glass Blue where Adamz customized tons and tons of the graphics to get that theme applied. It has given me no issues and runs very smooth for me. I'm willing to bet others will say Cyanogen, BB, SS, UD, DM, etc also come preloaded with a theme they like.

The benefit, if it runs as smooth as stock, is someone else has gone to the effort to apply various themes and customized the phone for me. It gives me a new launching point to further customize my phone instead of starting from stock.

With 2.1 available for stock and rooted roms you are right though. Unless one of our rom developers goes and enhances the OS to make it better than what Google and Motorola has done their rom's won't be much better performance wise. If they can contribute at that level they probably should be part of the open source team working on the entire Android OS and not just working on Moto Droid specific enhancements.

However, I'll add that some custom roms have options to remove apps, or come default with various apps removed that are always running in the background on stock phones. While maybe negligible this should speed the phone up in some tiny way. Of course, you can always go and remove these yourself, but not having to is yet another benefit of a custom rom.
  15. Topsy

Topsy New Member

If you're up to making changes yourself, then you really don't need someone elses rom.

Flashing another persons ROM is really just about taking advantage of someone elses work, rather than doing it yourself.

Really depends on what features you want, and if you're up to making those changes or not yourself.

Sounds like to me, you're happy with your own changes, so why worry about what other people are doing to their phones, as long as you are happy....that's what counts.
  16. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

To be completely honest, the only reason i like to flash these new custom roms is because its NEW! im one of those people that like change. Ive been through multiple G1s, mytouchs, cliqs, and now the droid. these roms seem to be getting better, but as i said in the op, the stock seems to suit me more, they seem more stable and smoother for my droid at least. the only things ive done is flash chevyz lv 1.1 kernal, and put a custom recovery, and of course petes root rom. but so far, I say the official ESE81 is by my favorite out of all the custom roms. but thats because i customize it how I like it.
  17. Corinacakes

Wow! Please reread what you said you've done in the op. Then what you just said. :shocked: just wow
  18. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

The main advantages of a custom rom is that a lot of the customization work has been done for you. For example I'm running UD9 which includes choices of custom live wallpapers, is already themed with a smoked glass look, and even has custom skinned helix launchers and widgets. Also some of them say they clean up system to save space which is nice and they include the option to add or remove various apps. Apps such as corporate calendar are included on the stock roms but can be left out in a custom rom. Also many of the custom roms include scripts now that allow you to easily do things with terminal emulator such as godmode and lwp switching. In addition hacks like default Youtube HD, higher video recording quality, and decreased wifi scan rate to save battery are included in many roms.
    That being said you can basically start with a rooted stock rom and add things like a new kernel, custom themes, custom script packages, add or remove whatever system apps you want, do your own hacks and end up with your own custom rom, it is just more work to do all of the steps yourself.
    However, some roms like CyanogenMod are built from source though so you will never get all of the features included in those unless you know some serious programming (for instance I know CM has 360 homescreen rotation so you can use your phone upside down if you wanted to for some strange reason) and who knows what the new DroidMod will have when it is finally released. Also some roms like UD9 are based on the Nexus ERE27 build which is different than the any of the stock builds for droid (whether or not this is better is debatable).
    In the end it just depends on what you like and how comfortable you are customizing the rom to your liking.
  19. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

HAHAH I completely answered my own question! you guys helped me see the light!!!!
  20. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

haha ok, im hooked. ive been running UD 9 for a few hours now, and im loving it. the only thing i notice is it gets slow with live wallpapers on, so those arent my background.