anyone leaving x to beat tiered data?

codustyle

Reaction score
i love my x and was even planning on getting the 2 eventually because i got all the docks etc.... but now i might have to hold my nose and get a tbolt just to beat tiered 4g data which starts in 2 weeks.... what r yall gonna do?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
Nothing. According to the unofficial "official" document, anyone currently on unlimited data will not be affected, even if they renew or upgrade.

Beka27

Reaction score
It's been well publicized that 3g and 4g are the same unlimited plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

kevinkar

Reaction score
Have you figured out what your actual data usage is yet? What's your max and what might be your max? You may actually save money with a tiered plan. I know I don't currently use gigabytes of data so an unlimited plan and a highest tier plan would likely be more than I need. That plus I use Wi-Fi at home and bypass the Verizon network for lots of stuff so I ultimately could save some cash by dropping to a lower tier if that's what they do.

But you have to know what your actual max data usage is and what their tiers are before jumping to a "I'm moving!" conclusion. You know, make an informed decision rather than reacting without the facts at your disposal.

Just thinking out loud...

OP
C

codustyle

Reaction score
i use plenty of data... enough to want unlimited. but are yall saying that if i have an unlimited 3g plan now and then two months from now get a 4g device... ill still be unlimited? side question......is there a 4g surcharge?

Reaction score
Spot on. Unlimited is unlimited. The tiered data plan coming july 7 is not just a 4g plan. It supplies to all days plans. So if a new customers walks in and gets a droid x with 3g, they will be tiered. Those of us on unlimited with our 3g phones are set regardless of when we upgrade.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
i use plenty of data... enough to want unlimited. but are yall saying that if i have an unlimited 3g plan now and then two months from now get a 4g device... ill still be unlimited? side question......is there a 4g surcharge?

For anyone freaking out, stop, breath, and calm down.

If Verizon differentiated between 4g and 3g data, those on a 4g data plan would have to have a 3g plan too for when their phone goes out of 4g range. There might come a difference between 3g and 4g data at some point, but in my opinion, it wont be until 4g is more wide spread or even the predominant signal.

OP
C

codustyle

Reaction score
Uhhh that exactly how sprint does it. 10 bucks more for 4g... everywhere u can't get it youre on ur 3g coverage. No ones freaking out here but you

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Have you figured out what your actual data usage is yet? What's your max and what might be your max? You may actually save money with a tiered plan. I know I don't currently use gigabytes of data so an unlimited plan and a highest tier plan would likely be more than I need. That plus I use Wi-Fi at home and bypass the Verizon network for lots of stuff so I ultimately could save some cash by dropping to a lower tier if that's what they do.

But you have to know what your actual max data usage is and what their tiers are before jumping to a "I'm moving!" conclusion. You know, make an informed decision rather than reacting without the facts at your disposal.

Just thinking out loud...

Well as it stands for their proposed plan its $30 for 2 gigs. And that's the cheapest, besides the 75mb for feature phones. So you will not be saving anything, by moving to a tiered plan, but losing data.

If Verizon decides to make a cheaper plan for say 1 gig than you would be correct in you logic. But that isn't the case so maybe you shouldn't be "thinking out loud". The OP raises a good point and just wants to make sure he is prepared in case he does need to make a change. I hope he realizes now that 3g or 4g are all the same according to Verizon, for now at least.

Also, I'd suspect with a 4g phone you will consume more data than you would with 3g so you can't use ur 3g data as a basis for how much you will consume with a 4g phone. For instance, 3g is to slow for me to effectively stream TV shows, so if I had a 4g phone I'd be streaming more TV and using considerably more data.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

OP
C

codustyle

Reaction score
thank you Art... a voice of reason finally.

im glad i found out thru this string that i dont have to get a 4g device and drop my x to be grandfathered in for 4g....

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Uhhh that exactly how sprint does it. 10 bucks more for 4g... everywhere u can't get it youre on ur 3g coverage. No ones freaking out here but you

Nope, calm as can be. I'm sticking with my X for at least another year. I'm on wifi so much that I don't need 4g right now...

kevinkar

Reaction score
But that isn't the case so maybe you shouldn't be "thinking out loud"
I think you know what you can do with your opinion of my opinion.

Have you ever had a conversation with an actual living human being? You know - where someone asks a question and the other person responds with a reply be it informed or otherwise and the first person mulls it over and responds with another question or perhaps an opposing comment which goes back and forth so that the two people eventually reach some reasonable conclusion as to their understanding of the question and the various answers?

I'm guessing not because my answer was completely reasonable in that a person merely needs to understand their usage and purchase the plan that meets that requirement. No need to jump ship because the possibility exists that a tiered structure might be in their future. Yet you chastise me for "thinking out loud"?

If you don't understand the conversational nature of user forums then perhaps you should stop typing out loud and not tell others to stop thinking out loud.

If you don't agree with a respondent's reply then simply say so and why. No need to get snippy. I'll think out loud as I see fit and if you don't like it you can keep your opinion to your self.

Nekopanfan

Reaction score
Dude you are the one who got snarky with the ' thinking out loud' comment to begin with. You spoke loudly without knowledge of the issue from your first post. Tiered data as currently rumored will not save anyone anything.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Children.... Time out corners

Sent from my Supercharged Cyanogenated DROIDX using DroidForums