Anyone know of an app to dim the screen in dock mode??

Silver Member
Reaction score
check your brightness settings

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

What do you mean? I went to Settings->Display->Brightness and the only option I see is screen brightness which is set to automatic. Is there something I'm missing to turn those 4 lights off?

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ok, installed the v2.1 clock and my problem is solved... almost. For some unknown reason the four quick access buttons remain lit, even on the dimmest setting (dim+hold for green clock) which is baffling. They're super bright in an otherwise blacked out room and I don't even understand when you would want them lit up to use. It's much more dim than the previous clock yet still not ideal for our needs. If the four lights would turn off I think it would be though.

I would like a fix for this too, they never shut off.

Silver Member
Reaction score

What do you mean? I went to Settings->Display->Brightness and the only option I see is screen brightness which is set to automatic. Is there something I'm missing to turn those 4 lights off?
read the thread in my sig to see if that helps.

turn off auto, set the brightness to the lowest setting, then turn auto back on.

see if that fixes it.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

read the thread in my sig to see if that helps.

turn off auto, set the brightness to the lowest setting, then turn auto back on.

see if that fixes it.

Nope. Tried that. Disabled auto brightness, adjusted brightness to lowest setting and then turned auto back on and no dice. All four still stayed on on the dock.

Does this work for you? Does your four lights turn off? Do they turn off for anyone who has the v2.1 clock?

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think it has to do with the sensor. i just played with it and got the following results:

any setting in manual brightness, leaves the lights on. auto brightness only turns the lights on when it's dark.

so while docked, the lights are not on. if i cover the sensor, they turn on.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
i think it has to do with the sensor. i just played with it and got the following results:

any setting in manual brightness, leaves the lights on. auto brightness only turns the lights on when it's dark.

so while docked, the lights are not on. if i cover the sensor, they turn on.

I've tried auto, manual, full brightness and minimum brightness and it's the same result. Based on your sig I assume you're talking about the v2.0.1 clock, right? We're discussing how to make the lights turn off on the v2.1 clock which is different.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i still say it has to do with the light sensor. nothing else.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
i still say it has to do with the light sensor. nothing else.

I disagree. The sensor only takes readings. It's up to the firmware and settings to inturpret those readings and convey it into actions. If the firmware says to adjust them based on the light levels then that's what happens. If it tells them to ignore the light settings (like it should) and turn off whenever in the dock then that's what happens. There's no obvious & useful reason for them to remain on so it's clearly an oversight by the fine folks at Google. What needs to happen is a tweak to the firmware that corrects this oversight. As long as the firmware tells them to remain on it doesn't matter what readings the sensor takes.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are actually 2 problems. 1) the main screen stays backlit, instead of only the numbers themselves being lit. 2) the side icons also stay lit. I think if ONLY the numbers were dimly lit, then it would be acceptable just like a standard LCD/LED alarm clock.
How would only the numbers stay lit? Each pixel doesn't have its own backlight.

ronimous

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues. The side buttons are the deal killer here. I have the brightness turned all the way down and these buttons light up the room like a small television. Disappointing to say the least. I'm on 2.1....

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
There are actually 2 problems. 1) the main screen stays backlit, instead of only the numbers themselves being lit. 2) the side icons also stay lit. I think if ONLY the numbers were dimly lit, then it would be acceptable just like a standard LCD/LED alarm clock.
How would only the numbers stay lit? Each pixel doesn't have its own backlight.

A good point and one I overlooked. If there's no way to backlight the display w/o them being on then there's no way to bypass this and still have the screen light up. Bummer.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues. The side buttons are the deal killer here. .

Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I switched to Night Clock (free app) which is a black screen with a very dim clock and an alarm; simple and dark. But again, those side buttons are like a small lamp!

chris420o

Reaction score
What u guys are forgetting is the 2.1 is ripped from the nexus firmware...nexus doesn't have these buttons same reason keyboard won't light on 2.1...stop being impatient and wait for the real 2.1 update I'm sure all these issues will be resolved...I do agree that work needs to be done for dock its bright n I fear ima burn out my screen by using it every night