Anyone know of a dialer app that uses the KB instead of a dialpad?

Sal R.

Reaction score
What I'm looking for is a dialer app like dialer one, but instead of a T9 dialpad, it uses a qwerty layout where you can spell out names/numbers to filter your contacts list.

That's one of things i miss about my blackberry was the ability to quickly find contact info by using the KB to filter out the proper results and/or dial a number.

Dialer one is not bad, in fact, it's great, but I find using the T9 pad slow. I mean, I haven't used a T9 in, like, forever.

rjax

Reaction score
Tapping the hardware search key once (or twice, if the application you're in uses the hardware search key) will take care of (most) of what you want. If you type in a phone number, it won't autocomplete anything, but when you finish typing it, you can tap the search result to directly dial the number. If you start typing in a name, it will start matching names (as well as other stuff on the phone).

dkscudder

Reaction score
If you have a Motorola Droid (or I assume any other device with a hardware keyboard), you can do exactly what you are describing when you have your contacts open. Maybe you already realize this, but it took me a little while to figure that out.

For something completely different, you might want to look at Gestures (made by Google). I keep it at the bottom of all my home screens. You can use your thumb to start drawing letters on the screen and it gives you live search results.
Cool feature: If you get a little sloppy and the app can't tell if you meant to draw a "C" or an "O," it will just give you results for both.
It lets me quickly look up contacts with one hand. Of course, you might hate it :)

If you take the time to poke around a bit, I'm sure you'll find something you love.

OP
S

Sal R.

Reaction score
Yeah, but it'd be nice if it was limited to contacts only. Plus I love dialer one's calender event insertion feature for a selected contact. If one could only replace the dial pad with your chosen kb, I'd be set.

OP
S

Sal R.

Reaction score
If you have a Motorola Droid (or I assume any other device with a hardware keyboard), you can do exactly what you are describing when you have your contacts open. Maybe you already realise this, but it took me a little while to figure that out.

For something completely different, you might want to look at Gestures (made by Google). I keep it at the bottom of all my home screens. You can use your thumb to start drawing letters on the screen and it gives you live search results.
Cool feature: If you get a little sloppy and the app can't tell if you meant to draw a "C" or an "O," it will just give you results for both.
It lets me quickly look up contacts with one hand. Of course, you might hate it :)

If you take the time to poke around a bit, I'm sure you'll find something you love.

I've tried it before and it wasn't for me.

dkscudder

Reaction score
Yeah, but it'd be nice if it was limited to contacts only. Plus I love dialer one's calender event insertion feature for a selected contact. If one could only replace the dial pad with your chosen kb, I'd be set.

I see. I use Dialer One as my backup dialer/Contacts program. I haven't seen a program that fits what you are describing, so I will go away now. You might want to make a feature request to whoever develops Dialer One. It seems like it would be easy to implement your default keyboard instead of the T9 thing.

Oh, and you can limit the Gestures results to just contacts in the settings. If you don't like it for other reasons, then never-mind. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Good luck.

OP
S

Sal R.

Reaction score
Sent and email to the dialer one. Hopefully, he'll respond with some good news.

:)