Anyone know if I could use my Kindle Charger on the Droid

Twoo

Reaction score
People have had strange results on their Droid when not using the OEM charger. I'd be wary...

I use a non OEM charger everyday. I have a car charger and my charger at home are both from different phones but fit the Droid. My oem charger I keep at work.

OP
S
Reaction score
I called amazon.... not to swift there :( they dont know the current output and cannot tell me what the charger on the kindle2 does?

Can I ask them in a different way? How could they not know?

thank you

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Maybe go to Amazon.com's website and see if you can order a spare charger for your Kindle. Maybe the web-page for the spare charger will display the specs for the charger?

Also -- check the user's manual for your Kindle. It might have the specs for how much voltage/current the Kindle uses when charging? If those specs are equal to or greater than the Droid's requirements (5V, 850mA) then you're good.

Third thing -- were you talking to salespeople at Amazon? Or were you talking to the technical-support department? Sales people are going to be ignorant about specs like this, whereas the tech-support people *might* know the specs on the charger.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe go to Amazon.com's website and see if you can order a spare charger for your Kindle. Maybe the web-page for the spare charger will display the specs for the charger?

Also -- check the user's manual for your Kindle. It might have the specs for how much voltage/current the Kindle uses when charging? If those specs are equal to or greater than the Droid's requirements (5V, 850mA) then you're good.

Third thing -- were you talking to salespeople at Amazon? Or were you talking to the technical-support department? Sales people are going to be ignorant about specs like this, whereas the tech-support people *might* know the specs on the charger.

I did check manual it doesnt say :(
I did check website it doesnt day :(
I did speak to tech (another time called twice) they said 100v-240v thats all they know. :(

Droids

Reaction score
Everywhere I have looked lists the Kindle 2 specs as
AC Input 100-240 Volts, 0.15 Amps, 50/60 Hz
DC Output 4.9 Volts, 0.85 Amps

The Droid is 5.1 volts and .85a (850ma). The volts should be close enough and the amps are right on.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
It'll be fine as long as the Kindle charger is rated for an output of 854mV or more.

Droid requires that voltage for charging... other wise you'll run into issues with your phone 'freaking out' as has been discussed in many threads.

I'm not convinced this has to do with mV. USB is 500 mV. I charge on usb and never have this problem. I think they are just crappy chargers. I don't think we should dispense information unless we can certify it is correct.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I have never had a problem using a Motorola charger on another device, but have never had any luck using a non-Motorola charger on a Motorola device. Heck, my Q9m wouldn't even allow the device to charge on a non-Motorola charger.

Will it ruin it? Almost certainly not, but results would most likely not be optimal, and I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I'll disagree here too. USB protocol makes this irrelevant. Right now I am using a BB charger. At home I use a charger for a BT headset and my dock. In my car I use a charger for god knows what. I only use the OEM cable attached to my computer, as it is too short for any of my other uses.

Likely something with the Q9M required a preset output. The droid does not require any exact mV rating. I think the chargers in question were made of crappy components with serious quality issues and nothing more. Hell, if someone sends me one I will run some tests on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Droid is 5.1 volts and .85a (850ma). The volts should be close enough and the amps are right on.

thanks, thats what i wasnt sure of .85a = 850 but i thought it did.

edit

i did try it after all i actually used it to transfer files from the pc to the droid without problems.

moosc

Reaction score
I am with you on this but I guess scrolling through the forum i remember reading quick about using any usb charger now i have a little time to investigate. Thats why i didnt try to charge it I am asking first ;) but if i could save a few bucks and have it REALLY work I would try it. It seems I will stick with Mot chargers but I dont think they are many out yet? I need to look more.

I think the most cost effective way(currently) to get a proper charger is to get the Multimedia Dock. Even better on sale, got one online at V for 23.99 with free overnight shipping, use coupon code ACC20. It comes with the same charger with the detachable USB cable that came with the Droid originally.

You get the MM Dock, 110V charger, and a proper USB cable all in one. that gives you lots of options, not bad for $24 delivered. Since Verizon charges the same price for the Droid wall charger(without detachable USB cable) as the MM Dock, it is a no-brainer.

The only thing I would like to see from Moto/Verizon is an OEM Car charger that also has the removable USB cable. That makes the whole system very flexible and you always have a USB cable when needed. I know there are lots of "aftermarket" car chargers that use the detatchable USB cable, but I would want one from a reputable company that will stand behind the fact it is a proper charger for the Droid. An Ebay add that says it is compatible is not good enough for me.
please explain the proper micro usb cable? there is no differnce in the cables expect maybe build quality that is it:rolleyes:. now the pluggin adapters that the usb pluggins might be different very unlikely...that is unless u take a Europe plug and try to force or modify it into a an usa outlet..:icon_evil:

moosc

Reaction score
I am with you on this but I guess scrolling through the forum i remember reading quick about using any usb charger now i have a little time to investigate. Thats why i didnt try to charge it I am asking first ;) but if i could save a few bucks and have it REALLY work I would try it. It seems I will stick with Mot chargers but I dont think they are many out yet? I need to look more.

I think the most cost effective way(currently) to get a proper charger is to get the Multimedia Dock. Even better on sale, got one online at V for 23.99 with free overnight shipping, use coupon code ACC20. It comes with the same charger with the detachable USB cable that came with the Droid originally.

You get the MM Dock, 110V charger, and a proper USB cable all in one. that gives you lots of options, not bad for $24 delivered. Since Verizon charges the same price for the Droid wall charger(without detachable USB cable) as the MM Dock, it is a no-brainer.

The only thing I would like to see from Moto/Verizon is an OEM Car charger that also has the removable USB cable. That makes the whole system very flexible and you always have a USB cable when needed. I know there are lots of "aftermarket" car chargers that use the detatchable USB cable, but I would want one from a reputable company that will stand behind the fact it is a proper charger for the Droid. An Ebay add that says it is compatible is not good enough for me.
im using a belkin dual auto charger they are a reputable company have no problems with.. alas there is is no proper charger for Droid all run micro usb...:icon_eek: go into vzw ask for a car charger they will sell the same one that they sell for all phones smart and dumb that are equiped with micro usb. this they way all phones are going even the all might iphone is going micro usb.:icon_ banana:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Use what you like, but below are just a small few complaints over just the last few days about those chargers that "fit". Also search "Droid Charger Problems" and read until you fall asleep tonight. No matter what you think not all chargers and cables are made alike, just because they use a common connector doesn't make then a PROPER charger/cable. AND just because a worker in China slapped a spec label on it doesn't mean it passed quality control to verify its function and output. Of course if you think differently I know where you can get boatloads of sheets of drywall :)

FWIW, I would trust a charger approved for the Droid from a company like Belkin.

YMMV.

Just a handful of post from the past few days.
Just got a cheap one on e-bay from seller bestcellbuy. Plugged into phone and it started freaking out like buttons were being pressed fast and furious. Probably voltage was wrong?

yea i wouldnt recommend the cheap ones my droid freaked out too

The home charger made my on screen keyboard go whacky like there was a little gnome under the screen pushing the buttons by himself, but it DID charge the Droid.​

be very careful of those chargers. I bought just what the OP is talking about. 5$ deal from ebay with holster, chargers etc

I purchased a pair of these cables from Amazon/BargainCell Amazon.com: GTMax Sync Transfer USB Data Cable for Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Cell Phone: Cell Phones & Service and they work only to sync over usb and do not charge the Droid. In fact they put the Droid in a state where the original cable wouldn't even charging it (power-cycling cleared it up).
IMO it is extremely misleading to advertise a usb cable for the Droid that only provides half the functionality. What's worse is the price of these is $.99 each with shipping of around $5, so I can't even get most of my money back.​

And why can't all micro-usb cables be made the same/properly? There are only so many pin positions on each end and it must be well defined how they connect between the full size USB connector and the micro-connector. Why would anyone make a cable that doesn't connect all the pins?​

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
I have never had a problem using a Motorola charger on another device, but have never had any luck using a non-Motorola charger on a Motorola device. Heck, my Q9m wouldn't even allow the device to charge on a non-Motorola charger.

Will it ruin it? Almost certainly not, but results would most likely not be optimal, and I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I'll disagree here too. USB protocol makes this irrelevant. Right now I am using a BB charger. At home I use a charger for a BT headset and my dock. In my car I use a charger for god knows what. I only use the OEM cable attached to my computer, as it is too short for any of my other uses.

Likely something with the Q9M required a preset output. The droid does not require any exact mV rating. I think the chargers in question were made of crappy components with serious quality issues and nothing more. Hell, if someone sends me one I will run some tests on it.

It is possible that the Q9m required something like that... or Motorola was just trying to force the issue, and ID'ed their own power sources. The chargers in question included the charger for my G1, the charger for a Plantronics bluetooth headset (it didn't surprise me that this one didn't work), as well as my old xv6700. I somehow doubt that they are all made of "crappy components"

You may be right that it isn't all that important, but personally... I am happy to err on the side of safety in this regard. I will stick with the Motorola chargers for now... at least until iGo comes out with a tip that is rated for the Droid.

Essex

Reaction score
still haven't gotten my phone in but I'm in a similar situation. My tom tom uses a micro usb charger and thus I have a car charger, in theory...

I'll have to double check and make sure its the right voltage though.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes double and triple check dont want to hurt the little guy :icon_eek:

sin vicious

Reaction score
People have had strange results on their Droid when not using the OEM charger. I'd be wary...

I agree! If you notice most of the complaints here about having "weird" problems are typically traced back to using non oem chargers (and some screen protectors).

Would you plug any charger that fits into your laptop??? Just bacause it fits doesn't mean it will work or not cause problems.

The Droid is an expensive and high tech device, don't use a $5 Ebay charger and expect it to always work perfectly. You have a $600 phone/computer, man up and buy the correct charger for it.

Being from the automotive world, I see guys all the time buying expensive sports cars and they can barely afford the the payments and insurance so they skimp on maintanance and then are complaining when they have problems with the car and blame it on the car. In just the first few weeks since the Droid came out I already see the same pattern emerging.

im using a belkin dual auto charger they are a reputable company have no problems with.. alas there is is no proper charger for Droid all run micro usb...:icon_eek: go into vzw ask for a car charger they will sell the same one that they sell for all phones smart and dumb that are equiped with micro usb. this they way all phones are going even the all might iphone is going micro usb.:icon_ banana:
I say go with the $5.00 moto charger... at amazon.. bought mines works likea charm! Amazon.com: Motorola P513 High Performance Loop Car Charger for Micro USB Phones: Cell Phones & Service