Anyone know if I could use my Kindle Charger on the Droid

Reaction score
I just dont want to hurt the device? It fits in the charge slot but i havent plugged it in yet.

thank you

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll be fine as long as the Kindle charger is rated for an output of 854mV or more.

Droid requires that voltage for charging... other wise you'll run into issues with your phone 'freaking out' as has been discussed in many threads.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you. I did a search but didnt get a definitive answer and didnt want to hurt the Droid.
How do I tell? The plug says 4.9v = 0.85A not sure what they means in terms of use.
thanks.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Ok so it wort ruin it correct? I can try and if it charges great if not then just dont use the non oem again?
thank you.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heck I can use the charger that came with my motorola bluetooth headpiece. The car charger for it works fine also.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I have never had a problem using a Motorola charger on another device, but have never had any luck using a non-Motorola charger on a Motorola device. Heck, my Q9m wouldn't even allow the device to charge on a non-Motorola charger.

Will it ruin it? Almost certainly not, but results would most likely not be optimal, and I wouldn't make a habit of it.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok thanks is there a current thread you can point me to that says the best options for what charger to buy? i.e. car/house combo or the like?

than you

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
People have had strange results on their Droid when not using the OEM charger. I'd be wary...

I agree! If you notice most of the complaints here about having "weird" problems are typically traced back to using non oem chargers (and some screen protectors).

Would you plug any charger that fits into your laptop??? Just bacause it fits doesn't mean it will work or not cause problems.

The Droid is an expensive and high tech device, don't use a $5 Ebay charger and expect it to always work perfectly. You have a $600 phone/computer, man up and buy the correct charger for it.

Being from the automotive world, I see guys all the time buying expensive sports cars and they can barely afford the the payments and insurance so they skimp on maintanance and then are complaining when they have problems with the car and blame it on the car. In just the first few weeks since the Droid came out I already see the same pattern emerging.

OP
S
Reaction score
People have had strange results on their Droid when not using the OEM charger. I'd be wary...

I agree! If you notice most of the complaints here about having "weird" problems are typically traced back to using non oem chargers (and some screen protectors).

Would you plug any charger that fits into your laptop??? Just bacause it fits doesn't mean it will work or not cause problems.

The Droid is an expensive and high tech device, don't use a $5 Ebay charger and expect it to always work perfectly. You have a $600 phone/computer, man up and buy the correct charger for it.

Being from the automotive world, I see guys all the time buying expensive sports cars and they can barely afford the the payments and insurance so they skimp on maintanance and then are complaining when they have problems with the car and blame it on the car. In just the first few weeks since the Droid came out I already see the same pattern emerging.

I am with you on this but I guess scrolling through the forum i remember reading quick about using any usb charger now i have a little time to investigate. Thats why i didnt try to charge it I am asking first ;) but if i could save a few bucks and have it REALLY work I would try it. It seems I will stick with Mot chargers but I dont think they are many out yet? I need to look more.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I am with you on this but I guess scrolling through the forum i remember reading quick about using any usb charger now i have a little time to investigate. Thats why i didnt try to charge it I am asking first ;) but if i could save a few bucks and have it REALLY work I would try it. It seems I will stick with Mot chargers but I dont think they are many out yet? I need to look more.

I think the most cost effective way(currently) to get a proper charger is to get the Multimedia Dock. Even better on sale, got one online at V for 23.99 with free overnight shipping, use coupon code ACC20. It comes with the same charger with the detachable USB cable that came with the Droid originally.

You get the MM Dock, 110V charger, and a proper USB cable all in one. that gives you lots of options, not bad for $24 delivered. Since Verizon charges the same price for the Droid wall charger(without detachable USB cable) as the MM Dock, it is a no-brainer.

The only thing I would like to see from Moto/Verizon is an OEM Car charger that also has the removable USB cable. That makes the whole system very flexible and you always have a USB cable when needed. I know there are lots of "aftermarket" car chargers that use the detatchable USB cable, but I would want one from a reputable company that will stand behind the fact it is a proper charger for the Droid. An Ebay add that says it is compatible is not good enough for me.

Last edited:

zeira

Reaction score
My kindle charger works great! No problems so far. It's my default charger now because the cable is longer.

OP
S
Reaction score

I think the most cost effective way(currently) to get a proper charger is to get the Multimedia Dock. Even better on sale, got one online at V for 23.99 with free overnight shipping, use coupon code ACC20. It comes with the same charger with the detachable USB cable that came with the Droid originally.

You get the MM Dock, 110V charger, and a proper USB cable all in one. that gives you lots of options, not bad for $24 delivered. Since Verizon charges the same price for the Droid wall charger(without detachable USB cable) as the MM Dock, it is a no-brainer.

The only thing I would like to see from Moto/Verizon is an OEM Car charger that also has the removable USB cable. That makes the whole system very flexible and you always have a USB cable when needed. I know there are lots of "aftermarket" car chargers that use the detatchable USB cable, but I would want one from a reputable company that will stand behind the fact it is a proper charger for the Droid. An Ebay add that says it is compatible is not good enough for me.

THANK YOU for the great synopsis! I am all over this. i just want to 100% make sure I am keeping the Droid which I am 99% already. Thanks.

My kindle charger works great! No problems so far. It's my default charger now because the cable is longer.

Great to know appreciate it.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I can't imagine a charger with a MicroUSB port putting out anything other than 5 volts. So the voltage should be fine with any MicroUSB charger you can find. (Check the specs on your charger, just to be 100% safe, of course.) 4.9 to 5.1 volts is just fine.

It's the current you have to worry about. If you look on the charger you should see (in very tiny writing, probably) how much current it puts out. It will probably say ### mA (miliamperes). If the ### is 850 or larger, you're good. If it's less than 850, that's not enough, and the charger probably won't work. It *might* work, but you'll be drawing more current than the charger is designed for, and it won't be good for either the charger or the phone. So I, personally, wouldn't even risk it unless you see 850 mA (or more) for the output of the charger.

Further, if you have a charger that fits the bill, but has a MiniUSB port instead of a MicroUSB port (my old Motorola KRZR K1m car-charger fits this description) you can buy a cheap ($5 or less) MiniUSB-to-MicroUSB adapter, and save money that way too...

Also, I agree completely with 928Droid -- the Multimedia Dock is an excellent piece of technology to accompany the Droid. $24 with shipping -- too cheap to pass up. I bought one, and I absolutely love it. My Droid has replaced the clock radio on my bedside table. Get yourself one -- you won't regret it.