Anyone Know How to Use MTP from Linux (Ubuntu 10.04)

Dilligaf

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Will try the link.

libmtp-1.1.1 is installed.

I was able to link to the phone using sshfs, so I have that route also.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
OK, got all the dependencies taken care of, and the typos in the id3tag.pc file fixed. So now it'll configure, but won't compile - it appears to be missing a header file:

[rcs@yoda: ~/Downloads/mtpfs-read-only]$ make check
gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"MTPfs\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"mtpfs\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"MTPfs\ 1.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"Chris\ Debenham\ \<[email protected]\>\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"mtpfs\" -DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DDEBUG=0 -I. -DFUSE_USE_VERSION=22 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -pthread -I/usr/local/include/fuse -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -DUSEMAD -g -O2 -MT mtpfs-mtpfs.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/mtpfs-mtpfs.Tpo -c -o mtpfs-mtpfs.o `test -f 'mtpfs.c' || echo './'`mtpfs.c
In file included from mtpfs.c:9:
./mtpfs.h:29:20: error: id3tag.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ./mtpfs.h:30,
from mtpfs.c:9:
./id3read.h:4: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:4: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
./id3read.h:5: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:6: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:7: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:8: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:9: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:10: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
./id3read.h:11: warning: ‘struct id3_tag’ declared inside parameter list
mtpfs.c: In function ‘mtpfs_release’:
mtpfs.c:484: error: ‘ID3_FILE_MODE_READONLY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
mtpfs.c:484: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
mtpfs.c:484: error: for each function it appears in.)
mtpfs.c:485: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
mtpfs.c:487: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getArtist’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:4: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:488: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getTitle’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:7: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:489: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getAlbum’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:5: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:490: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getGenre’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:8: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:491: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getYear’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:6: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:499: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getSonglen’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:9: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
mtpfs.c:507: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘getTracknum’ from incompatible pointer type
./id3read.h:10: note: expected ‘struct id3_tag *’ but argument is of type ‘struct id3_tag *’
make: *** [mtpfs-mtpfs.o] Error 1

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Sorry -- That's my fault. I just saw that what I had pasted into my post for creating the id3tag.pc file was not correct. I went back and updated it. The file should look like this:

Code:
# id3tag pkg-config source file

prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: id3tag
Description: id3lib is a software library for manipulating ID3v1/v1.1 and ID3v2 tags.
Version: 0.15
Requires: 
Conflicts:
Libs: -L${libdir} -lid3tag 
Libs.private:
Cflags: -I${includedir}

Fix that file, do your ./configure again and see if mtpfs compiles for you.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Sorry -- That's my fault. I just saw that what I had pasted into my post for creating the id3tag.pc file was not correct. I went back and updated it. The file should look like this:

Code:
# id3tag pkg-config source file

prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: id3tag
Description: id3lib is a software library for manipulating ID3v1/v1.1 and ID3v2 tags.
Version: 0.15
Requires: 
Conflicts:
Libs: -L${libdir} -lid3tag 
Libs.private:
Cflags: -I${includedir}

Fix that file, do your ./configure again and see if mtpfs compiles for you.

Did that, and after installing the dev package for libid3tag (oops!), it compiled fine...

THANKS!

Last edited:

Dilligaf

Reaction score
However, it compiles - but it has a problem finding the phone (wrong product ID) and can't do anything else with it:

[mythtv@vader: ~]$ mtp-detect
libmtp version: 1.1.1

Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung GT-P7510/Galaxy Tab 10.1/S2.
Found 1 device(s):
Samsung: GT-P7510/Galaxy Tab 10.1/S2 (04e8:6860) @ bus 1, dev 0
Attempting to connect device(s)
ignoring usb_claim_interface = -1ignoring usb_claim_interface = -22PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
inep: usb_get_endpoint_status(): Operation not permitted
outep: usb_get_endpoint_status(): Operation not permitted
usb_clear_halt() on IN endpoint: Operation not permitted
usb_clear_halt() on OUT endpoint: Operation not permitted
usb_clear_halt() on INTERRUPT endpoint: Operation not permitted
ignoring usb_claim_interface = -1ignoring usb_claim_interface = -22LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
Unable to open raw device 0
OK.

Hmmm....

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I am able to mount and access the phone using sshfs on the Linux box and SSHDroidPro on the phone, so I *can* do what I need to do.

However, this pisses me off. I don't like loose ends....I would like to get it working, anyway.
;-)

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
What do you have in your /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules file?

My file had this in it:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0666", OWNER="wam"

"wam" is my user id on the machine. I got the idVendor and idProduct values from doing the mtp-detect. You will probably need to run the mtp-detect as the root user.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access/

N
ow that you have mtp-tools and mtpfs installed on your machine, you can do the other things described in that article.

I fully understand the feeling of wanting to get it working. After a while it becomes a challenge, and you just don't want to give up. Even if you do have another workable solution.

Last edited:

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I had looked at that article.

I had the product ID, 685c, that they said was for the GNex (rather than the one that it's actually coming up with), in my /udev/rules.d/51-android.rules file. Fixed it, now I can mount as root, will make the other changes when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks!

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Still not working right. Oh, well.

I can use AirDroid or sshfs to transfer files now - will wait until I upgrade to 12.04 LTS in a few months to sort this out.