Anyone know how to get Arabic font support on this phone?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
That's strange. If you open up the zip and check the font files, it's the stock droid.

Itamar

Reaction score
There are a 2 ways to accomplish adding Arabic, a hard way and an easy way. They both require rooting the phone to install.

The hard way is to get an arabic font file and install it using the instructions in the Hebrew font support link in my signature line below. The basic directions are the same except you substitute an Arabic file for the Hebrew one. (I will leave the political irony of this method to be discussed elsewhere.) :wink:

The easy way is to install this app: ARABIC ANDROID - تعريب أندرويد from the marketplace.

Shalom - Salam - Peace

OP
M

Matth3w

According to the app link it's for the Nexus One. Plus if you go to that app on the market it tells you to go to a website, it's not actually an app.

Itamar

Reaction score
Hmmm. Apparently that is correct of the website link. However, the app in the market itself (where I originally discovered it) makes no mention of this. Interesting. I would fire off a Q to the developer and ask for clarification.

OP
M

Matth3w

I downloaded it, it's not an app. It's just a thank you screen. I'm in the process of rebooting after your manual instructions to see how it goes. It successfully copied it seemed (I got the bytes in/out message) so we will see how it goes.

OP
M

Matth3w

Bah, it sort of works. But it doesn't connect the letters, which makes it almost impossible to read considering it is only my second language and Farsi has no capital letters. got something that TRULY works?

Itamar

Reaction score
Sorry dude. I gave it my best shot. I know that Farsi is more of a continuous script than individual letters (which probably makes type setting a PITA?). Hebrew on the other hand has separate letters. We're still a right to left language though ....

I've a few Jewish Iranian friends in my neighborhood. Some of them are tech-nerds like myself. I know at least one of them has a jailbroken iPhone. I'll ask them if they have any advice.

OP
M

Matth3w

Thanks man, appreciate it. Maybe if I was a native speaker it would be easier, but seeing as how most letters are connected and the spacing is equal its nearly impossible to tell where one word starts and ends.

I do appreciate the help though.

If the PC can do it you would think it wouldn't be so damn difficult on the Droid.

bikerboy

Reaction score
noooooo :((( but that picture for the market shows arabic in a good way ..... how come it doesn't work ?

bastosero

Reaction score
Another way to do it if you really must read the browser in Farsi is to get PhoneMyPC or one of the RDP apps in the market and connect to your computer from your Droid. You can just view the browser on your computer.