1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone just running BB w/o a faster kernel?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by ljholland, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ljholland

ljholland New Member

Just wondering. I typically always load an overclocked kernel such as Chevy's LV 1.2.

As an experiment, I just loaded Pete's ROM....no extra kernels....nothing fancy. Anyway, my Droid run cool (82-85 degree F when idle) and seems responsive. Maybe it's a little slow getting LauncherPro on the screen after certain apps...but usually pretty good.
  2. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

I'm running chevy's 800 ulv kernal and its running fine. Runs real cool and is pretty snappy.
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i'm running whatever it comes with and i'm very impressed. it stays cooler than anything i've used in a while, battery life is better than it has ever been, and its pretty snappy
  4. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

I tried it for a while and it ran OK, then tried several O/C kernels from ChevyNo1 and P3Droid of the LV and uLV variety, and all ran OK but they either struggled due to too low of voltage or to much heat... and for the longest time I swapped in between all the different kernels trying to find the perfect one foe BB v0.4 ...and then I hit on an unlikely candidate as the best for my partiucular Droid... Chevy's Medium Voltage 1.0 GHz kernel, and it not only runs extremlely stable due to enough voltage, but also runs pretty damn cool. The LV or uLV kernels actually ran hotter when load was high....

Anyways, just my personal experiences...:)
  5. chomorro

chomorro New Member

I'm running 1.2 chevy ulv and have tried 1.0ghz ulv and they all run great no heat issues but I'm trying to get best performance in games. Going to try 800mhz kernels to see if I can play heavy gunner 3d with no lag or stutter at all.
  6. timekiller

timekiller New Member

Ditto! Using the kernel bb 0.4 comes with and its fast, Great battery, and stays cool.
  7. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

Also using the default kernel with bb 0.4 and I have great battery life, cool temps, and launcherpro is near instantaneous. Not sure why people have problems with the launcher. I don't understand what real world benefit the incremental increases over 800Mhz provide when so many people have problems with other kernels.
  8. hacku

hacku New Member

I've been running just the stock 800Mhz kernel since I installed it and I love it. No problems with the phone and it runs really smooth.
  9. Rouxdy

Rouxdy New Member

I'm running stock v0.4 and my speed tests always show a little over 1000. I'm happy. I had endless boot loops trying to add kernels.
  10. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

its so good it makes me wonder, whos kernel is it? or did peter make it himself? and what voltage is it?
  11. Jboxen

Jboxen Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I recently flashed p3s lv 1 ghz kernel with the 125 low slot. My phone is running great and my battery life is batter than its ever been. I recommend it.
  12. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

I was running BB froyo V3 with P3 1.25Ghz LV themed as well. It was stupid fast! Waking up was a little slow with that first touch response but after that, it was dumb. I actually went and slowed some of the responsiveness down in settings. Standby battery life was acceptable but I had maybe 1 hour of constant use before I needed to charge it.

I'm going to run v4 plain jane for a few days before I start doing anything else to it. Weigh the pros and cons ya know?
  13. BOA

BOA New Member

Running 0.4 without a faster kernel; just what came with the ROM and I have had zero problems and the battery is good and phone runs cool.
  14. ljholland

ljholland New Member

OK.....just for giggles, I loaded Chevy's LV 1.25. And the droid behaves more or less the same. Temps are low....maybe a few degrees higher than BB stock. And it's about as fast. I think the biggest limiting factor is the Launcher (LauncherPro) that seems to make it pokey sometimes - even with the 1.25 kernel.

I'm mystified. What's the point of these kernels? I just don't see any sort of linear improvement in performance related to clock speed.
  15. azules9780

azules9780 New Member

Well my quadrant score and linpack score and any other score you can come up with increased in a big way. Everything was snappier, much snappier. No lag issues whatsoever with intensive gaming. However, intensive gaming brought heat issues and my battery life running the the stock v4 has been exponentially better than it was running P3 1.25 kernel.

I dunno, different droids must have different results I guess. When I was running BB 2.1 with P3 1.3Ghz kernel, battery life did go down but nearly as much as it did with froyo v3 1.25Ghz. Either way, overclocking has been good for my droid.
  16. ljholland

ljholland New Member

Ouch. So above I said I tried the Chevy LV 1.25. It was fine for a day....then, last night it went nuts. Everything started FCing....then the boot loops started. I'm back to plain BB.
  17. AquaDan88

AquaDan88 New Member

I'm running the same thing. Runs much cooler and more responsive than the stock BB Kernel. Idles around 28C and runs at around 32-37C under use. Only hits about 41C under extreme use, usually when running navigation in direct sunlight.
  18. ljholland

ljholland New Member

Hmmm - I hadn't thought of running an 800 Mhz kernel. I'll give that a try.

Oh - weird consequence of the mess with the LV 1.25 kernel. Over 50% of my apps aren't showing in the market. Anyone know how to fix that?
  19. davetista

davetista New Member

does bb v.4 run at 800 mhz all the time even without setcpu? is this the way it is when you flash the rom??
  20. RobStemen

RobStemen New Member

Technically yes, technically no. I switched to Chevy's 800 MHz ULV kernel. Same speed different kernel. It's running cool and quick for me.