Anyone Heard Of "MobileCare"?

Elwenil

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and new to smart phones in general. Little background, I just got a Verizon Xperia Play on Friday and so far I love it. My girlfriend has had an original Droid for a few years and is also a member here so she has showed me a lot of the basic stuff but one thing has us both stumped.

I have found an application running on my phone that I do not recognize, can't get rid of and cannot find any information about it on the Internet. The application is called MobileCare and is not something I downloaded. A quick Google will come up with some "MobileCare" app that is from Asia somewhere, complete with Engrish descriptions, that is sort of like the many "LoJack" apps but that does not appear to be what I have as the icon is different and I cannot access this program in any way other than to Force Close it or Clear Data. So far it seems to pop up once a day and ask to update and gives me a 2 minute timer to agree to close my network connection and open the 3G connection for the update. So far it seems to have done it once everyday in the afternoon. It doesn't seem to download anything as it's pretty much instantaneous. When I look in my apps, it can only be found if I go into the Manage Apps menu selection and scroll down to it. It is listed as "MobileCare version 6.1.0_B191_SE" It takes up just about 1MB but it varies from time to time and can be + or - 300kb or so. Here is a pic:

IMG952011071895175346.jpg

If I scroll down it has access to my Personal Info, Services That Cost Me Money, My Location, My Messages, Network Communication, My Accounts, Storage, Phone Calls, Hardware Controls, and System Tools. What it has access to is quite alarming to me, being unfamiliar as I am with the phone. I did download a trial of Lookout Premium and it seems to think everything in my phone is ok and has a specific scan for suspicious things and it has found nothing but again, I am unsure if I should even trust that application.

So basically can anyone confirm that maybe this is an app put in place by Verizon or is somehow supposed to be on the phone? If it is something that can be confirmed as harmful, is there a way to get rid of it?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sperovita

Reaction score
It's some Asian app, I got it while trying to get Agile Lock Paid version for free. It asks you to download some apps to get points to unlock it, well I did but the points never added up correctly. I ended up uninstalling all the crap I downloaded trying to get points. Though just recently I noticed that this was left over and as an "uninstallable" app! Since my phone isn't rooted I'm not sure how to delete it other than a wipe, which I'd rather not do.

Looking at the permissions though is pretty scary, I imagine some dude in Asia has all my info now(hopefully not though.) I'm still looking into figuring out how to uninstall it but there's not much info on it.

I don't have any proof it's malicious either, seems to be an all in one app in Asia, but what I've found could be misleading.

[video=youtube;He6dpL8Fo1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He6dpL8Fo1s]‪MobileCare‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

Anyway, if anyone has info on how to get rid of it without root... or a good link to a solid way to root the xperia play, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Actually the youtube link might be a different mobile care... not sure yet again not much info on this one.

Last edited: