Anyone having freezing/lag issues w/ RAZR HD?

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Did I just get a bad phone out of the batch or is anyone else experiencing problems with the phone freezing/ delaying and or lagging? Example: I just tried turning on the screen to check a text and it wouldn't come on. I didn't get an audible notification when I got the text, I just felt the phone vibrate and saw the light flashing. After the screen decided to come on I got the audible notification tone. When I'm typing in the browser or any app, the phone freezes and I can't see what I'm typing and then it finally kicks in. Even the keyboard vibration stops working. Opening the camera has a delay, taking a picture has a delay. Picture finally snaps 3 seconds after the shutter sound and light flashes. Takes 5-8 seconds to snap a picture. Doesn't sound like that long but try taking pictures of something before it has a chance to move...such as candid shots. There are so many more times I get delays, lags and freezes. Now my battery seems to be draining quicker than it did when I first got it. I even loaded a battery saver app to stop it. I've never dropped the phone and I did a factory reset after the Jelly Bean update jacked it up. Does anyone else have these issues or is it just my phone? I've only had the phone since November (I think).

I have stated before and I will state again, I like this phone, but not in love anymore.

Its laggy as hell when it wants to be. The other day... not lying, I got a message saying "Screen Not Responding" like a PC or something. I couldnt shut it off or nothing. Its also froze up before on me while surfing on it.

When I first got it, I was teasing my wife who has an iPhone5... she now teases ME saying her phone never froze up or is slow. I will give Apple one thing, and that its OS is solid, we also have iPad2's and they NEVER EVER froze or lagged out NEVER.

Please disregard comments about "apps, rebooting once a week, etc" because at the end of the day, there is NOTHING you can do, except be more "delicate" with it and make it dumber by lowering the amount of background apps etc... which IMO is stupid and ridiculous for such a high end phone.

The only real way to take control of your phone is by taking the chance of rooting it and voiding your warranty.

Thankfully I run multiple online marketplaces, as soon as something better comes out, Im selling this thing and just buying something else. I like the battery life, nice screen, but not worth the headache.

davegutz

Reaction score
That's funny! My wife has an Iphone 5 too and has been giving me grief. It was just like you said with the freezing and waiting. I stuck with the program and found that rogue app and life if much better now. Really fast phone. Who's laughing now? Me! Anyhow my son the software engineer thinks the Iphone is much better for a variety of reasons - you couldn't go wrong with Apple products they work out of the box. Stick it out a little bit longer. It's an app.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
That's funny! My wife has an Iphone 5 too and has been giving me grief. It was just like you said with the freezing and waiting. I stuck with the program and found that rogue app and life if much better now. Really fast phone. Who's laughing now? Me! Anyhow my son the software engineer thinks the Iphone is much better for a variety of reasons - you couldn't go wrong with Apple products they work out of the box. Stick it out a little bit longer. It's an app.

What app do you mean?

davegutz

Reaction score
New Phone - likely an app

What app do you mean?

For me it was one called "Startup Auditor" that I had been using on the Droid X. The guy at Verizon had kindly moved every single app over to the Razr Maxx. The new Maxx was locking up every hour or so. On my own I thought to start removing apps to get it back to factory condition and it improved so that it was locking up every four hours or so. It seemed to be various random apps causing each incident if I went by the error messages the phone was producing and began to suspect a hardware problem. I grabbed all the stuff and went back to the Verizon store to exchange it for an Iphone (still have a few days left on the 14 day trial period). My approach to Verizon was to ask them what I was doing wrong and they took a look at my setup and right away found 1 setting and 1 app that they knew could cause the problem. The setting was it was somehow in global phone mode and the app was one called "task manager" that I had been using on the Droid X. They told me that things like task manager are now built into the os. I decided to give the phone another try - still have time. It was better then froze 8 hours later (boy did that p*** me off!). Their comment about the task manager got me to thinking then I realized that the startup auditor app that they didn't see does a similar thing - it kills programs that startup on their own. Works great on Droid X and saved me a lot of battery life over the years. I uninstalled that app and the phone not only hasn't frozen since (4 days) but is really, really fast. It's as though I traded in an old 80's DOS machine for a modern PC.

When I think about this whole thing it comes down to believing whether I had a hardware problem or a software setup problem. With a new phone it is much more likely to be a software setup issue and until I got back to factory condition I had not run that belief to the ground. Sure enough, my trusty tried and true Droid X app was the culprit.

zaphodity

Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with freezing or lagging as yet.

Getting addicted to Angry Birds though.

ambrown

Reaction score
I just mentioned this on another lag thread, but this app has helped fix any lag:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix

It works great and always gives me a boost. You do need to be rooted to use it since it trims the cache on the processor. Android trims its own cache fairly well, but it doesn't automatically trim the processor so this app helps keep my phone running smoothly. I don't have to use it more than once a day at most, usually it's more like every other day or even a couple of times a week.

djspy

Reaction score
I tried that LagFix app and it worked great. The phone was super fast and snappy but, 2 or three days later my phone started freezing. 3-4 times a day. I had to do a hard reset to get it working again. I uninstalled the app and did an FDR.

pblakk

Reaction score
it's just the way this phone works with the OS. it can be very annoying especially Chrome. I'm very tempted to pick up something different but this battery is hard to part with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I just mentioned this on another lag thread, but this app has helped fix any lag:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix

It works great and always gives me a boost. You do need to be rooted to use it since it trims the cache on the processor. Android trims its own cache fairly well, but it doesn't automatically trim the processor so this app helps keep my phone running smoothly. I don't have to use it more than once a day at most, usually it's more like every other day or even a couple of times a week.

Its sad that we have to not only root our phones... but then install and app, just to primarily rid this phone of bloatware and lag. Maybe on a lesser phone, but one would think not on a phone of this caliber... but having said that, I guess its not really in the "big leagues" such as the others out there....

kayaksport15

Reaction score
I've been having similar issues. The keyboard freezes and adds or deletes letters, the home screen will take 4-5 seconds to show any apps when I hit the home button. Apps reload randomly, deleting anything I have written and forcing me to search for my spot in videos. The browser also lags, and doesn't register a touch until after the lag, often clicking the wrong link. I think this phone is just straight crap. Two factory resets later and I'm ready for an iPhone.

djspy

Reaction score
I was having a lot of freezing issues and find that the culprit was the Snapdragon Battery Saving app. I removed the app and my phone got back to normal.

s_a

Reaction score
Wonderful device, have none of these problems people may have on their own, and truly "big league" for me, even if not for Google and the general audience-I could care less too, since I am supposed to be happy with what I like, and not with what's supposed to be "good for you" according to an artificial (often, mostly commercial) criteria that may have nothing to do with my own preferences.

legend221

Reaction score
Root, unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and a Rom. I was having a little lag here and there prior to doing that. Right now my Razr HD is fast, stable, battery lasts more than a day depending on usage and force close free. I'd recommend Rage HD as that's my preference in Roms at the moment.

See my signature on the website for a direct link.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

legend221

Reaction score
I've been having similar issues. The keyboard freezes and adds or deletes letters, the home screen will take 4-5 seconds to show any apps when I hit the home button. Apps reload randomly, deleting anything I have written and forcing me to search for my spot in videos. The browser also lags, and doesn't register a touch until after the lag, often clicking the wrong link. I think this phone is just straight crap. Two factory resets later and I'm ready for an iPhone.

Last thing you'd want to do is that. Iphone, trust me would be a huge fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2