Anyone have the DNA that previously had the Bionic?

Nevermore

Reaction score
Just looking for initial impressions when comparing the two. I plan to pick this up once I can purchase outright. Thanks!

OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
Hopefully some others can share. I keep playing with the floor model at my local VZW store and they practically have to ask me to leave :)

The 5" size seems perfect for me so I'm not even entertaining the Note 2.

rstfl2009

Reaction score
Im a Bionic user and if I were up for an upgrade, I would definitely get the DNA. I have played with it several times and love it. The only thing is that you cannot put an extended battery in the DNA like I did with my Bionic. Being a power user takes up some juice!

OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
I agree on the battery. When I first got my bionic, the battery life was a joke. I had to buy the extended right away and have used it ever since, but that defeated the purpose of how thin this phone should've been.

I've read good things about the DNA battery life so as long as I can get close to what I have currently with the extended battery in my bionic, I should be happy.

rstfl2009

Reaction score
I think I would have been fine with the original battery it came with. I have a charger at home and at work. Being that more phones are coming out with non-removable batteries, I am keeping a changer with me everywhere I go. I think thats where phones are heading now to tackle the water resistance issue.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Rezound do I feel the pain of low battery life. Since non removable seems the future I'd suggest some type of external battery if you're concerned about the battery making it through the day.
I got a Newtrent 5200mah one on Amazon for $25, regular $35 . It's smaller than a phone, very light and easily pocketed for times I'm going to be doing heavy usage but won't be near a charger. Basically when we go out as a family I take it with me because someone inevitably is going to have forgotten to charge something and it does get used just about every trip, be it for a phone, Bluetooth earpiece or iPod. It also will power my wife's iPad, my Galaxy Tab and Nexus7.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

diablo81588

Reaction score
I agree on the battery. When I first got my bionic, the battery life was a joke. I had to buy the extended right away and have used it ever since, but that defeated the purpose of how thin this phone should've been.

I've read good things about the DNA battery life so as long as I can get close to what I have currently with the extended battery in my bionic, I should be happy.

I can get two full days out of a single charge with the extended battery on my bionic. There's no way in hell the significantly smaller battery in the DNA can touch that. It might be just barley good enough to last you through the day with moderate usage, but it's no Motorola.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

akhi216

Reaction score
I currently have a Bionic and I'm thinking of handing it down to my wife. As of today I'm torn between a Razr Maxx HD and a DNA but I'm leaning heavily toward the DNA after playing with it today and seeing that the Razr Maxx HD wouldn't even turn on despite having a 100% battery level. I was under the impression that even though my hands are on the large side the DNA's size would be too big, but alas, the DNA fit perfectly in my hands. I thought I'd left HTC phones behind due to their horrendous battery lives but I'm now looking on Amazon to price external batteries; this is a phone I could see myself having for two years. I'd like to hear some impression from people who own a Bionic and DNA as well.

rstfl2009

Reaction score
One thing that I think would bother the hell out of me would be the sleep/power button. With it being so flushed with the surface I would feel that I would have to press hard to put it to sleep. I know that is the display phone but I went to VZ to check it out and the button was pushed all the way in and one of the sales reps had to fix it. Before stepping into the store I knew that button would be a problem and then I see that happen. Sorry for the rant but HTC made an incredible phone but they messed it up with a stupid design flaw.

If anyone has a DNA, please let me know about the sleep button. Has it been a pain to push?

OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
I can get two full days out of a single charge with the extended battery on my bionic. There's no way in hell the significantly smaller battery in the DNA can touch that. It might be just barley good enough to last you through the day with moderate usage, but it's no Motorola.

All I need is a day. I have no problem charging it once I get home from work.

OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
One thing that I think would bother the hell out of me would be the sleep/power button. With it being so flushed with the surface I would feel that I would have to press hard to put it to sleep. I know that is the display phone but I went to VZ to check it out and the button was pushed all the way in and one of the sales reps had to fix it. Before stepping into the store I knew that button would be a problem and then I see that happen. Sorry for the rant but HTC made an incredible phone but they messed it up with a stupid design flaw.

If anyone has a DNA, please let me know about the sleep button. Has it been a pain to push?

Very valid gripe. I would be curious to hear if others are having issues with that button. I'm always amazed that with all the phones that come out almost weekly, that there is always one or two glaring shortcomings with each. These companies know what people are looking for and what would easily make the be all end all in phones, yet they just can't do it. I realize the carriers are mostly to blame and I blame Verizon for holding the DNA back a bit, but I'm still in love with the thing :)

diablo81588

Reaction score
All I need is a day. I have no problem charging it once I get home from work.

It's always nice to know you can get longer than a single day in the event you forget to charge your phone overnight, or you didn't bring your charger on a trip. I forgot to charge mine last night, and had 40 percent battery when I woke up. I'm now at 13 percent two full days since my last charge.

BrunoDNA

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a Bionic to a DNA, so far its lived up remarkably well... Back side led is usefull, It actually playes 1080p videos you take in full 1080 (unlike the bio). But if there is one thing that is gunna sell you on the DNA ...its the massive beautiful 1080 screen. And the boot time of the bio honestly gets embraced by the DNA's almost instant boot up. You'll miss you ad card a little, but that's about it. Great phone.

OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a Bionic to a DNA, so far its lived up remarkably well... Back side led is usefull, It actually playes 1080p videos you take in full 1080 (unlike the bio). But if there is one thing that is gunna sell you on the DNA ...its the massive beautiful 1080 screen. And the boot time of the bio honestly gets embraced by the DNA's almost instant boot up. You'll miss you ad card a little, but that's about it. Great phone.

Thanks for the thoughts on the two. Is there anything you are missing that the bionic had? I'm thinking there isn't, but thought I would ask. Also, are you okay with battery life?

I've always had Motorola phones, not necessarily by choice, but because of the device I wanted at the time so going to an HTC will be somewhat new. My work cell is an HTC Desire, but I wouldn't consider that anything to write home about ;)