1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone have SetCPU's minimum above 250mhz?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JhankG, May 5, 2010.

1. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I was thinking about bumping the minimum up to 400 mhz but was hoping to get some feedback from others who have tried it. Battery life, temperatures, and speed increase are mainly what I'm interested in. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but everything seems to run a bit smoother when I have the minimum set to 400 mhz instead of 250. Maybe a kernel dev could offer a kernel with something higher than 250mhz but lower than 400mhz if this ends up killing battery life?
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

No but it's worth some testing
  3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I believe you. I posted about a custom ROM having the min and max both at 1Ghz after I installed it. It made things really quick. Of course I lowered the min to something reasonable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. cereal killer

I do notice that SetCPU is causing the device to run a little hotter.

I noticed this since the update. Very strange...

If I had some time I would look into this more but I think something is up with the SetCPU update.

It reads the OMAP and the Battery so maybe that is causing the heat issues. I don't know. I'm sure more issues with heat will start popping up.

Very strange...
  5. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

I have my minimum set at 700 Mhz because during normal operation. I just want it ti respond as fast as possible, and my battery life has suffered because of it until I installed juice defender. In the last few days I have had 16 hrs of battery life with the max/min set at 1.3Ghz/700 Mhz. I have my sleep profile set at 550/550. My temp has never gotten above 110F even under heavy load. I highly recommend a high min SetCPU setting with juice defender running. I'm running faster than ever
  6. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

Now that you mention it, I posted in another thread my phone got toasty for no apparent reason, and it was the day after I updated to SetCPU 1.5.2....

I rebooted and it seemed fine since, but i have since reverted back to 1.5.1a just in case...
  7. iamlost87

iamlost87 New Member

I've noticed the same thing since the last SetCPU update. My phone is hitting the fail-safe profile and heating up quicker and a LOT more than it was previously. I used to run it at 1200 all day, and never had a problem. Before the update I had bumped it down to 1 Ghz, and had it running at 800 max, and I NEVER hit the failsafe. Now it seems every 5 minutes under load, I'm seeing the temp notification.
  8. thetruth

thetruth New Member

I have also noticed that my Droid has been running hotter than normal since the setCPU update.
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I run a 400mhz min. 250mhz runs fine but I def notice the difference having 400 as my minimum. Phone wakes faster and I rarely if ever see lag.

No abnormal temps here since the SetCPU last update......
  10. cereal killer

OK guys I flashed another kernel (bekit ) and changed my profiles.

So far with testing its been running significantly cooler and better at 1300/700.

I will monitor battery life to see if the settings effect the battery life adversely. So far its been REALLY good.

As an fyi I was pdeviously running P3's kernel at 1200/250.

I need more time to give a definite thumbs up to the higher settings.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. brochaos

brochaos New Member

well i finally saw a post about there being a new 'active' widget with the update. so i added that and took off my old one. a few hours later, my active widget had somehow turned back into the old one. i opened up setcpu, and then backed out, and setcpu had a FC, the first one i've ever experienced with it. then i re-added my active widget.

it seems that the active widget checks the status a LOT more frequently than the old one, perhaps that is causing the extra workload that is creating the heat?
  12. coolbho3000

coolbho3000 New Member

Don't use the active widget if you are concerned about the load. It was an oft-requested feature and I didn't want to include it anyway for this reason. If the CPU speed were refreshed less often than what the widget is refreshing at now, then the reading becomes meaningless.

If you set the failsafe profile to "passive," then SetCPU should act more or less the same as before.

I'll look into the widget transforming issue. Expect a bug fix release in the next week.
  13. smcdo123

smcdo123 New Member

mine is always set to 1 ghz with bugless beast v 1. I thought everyone kept high like that lol Im ganna try the 400 low now see if it helps battery life I charge my phone typically twice a day cause im always on the internet, texting, and emailing so
  14. dwoid

dwoid New Member

I was using Chevy's LV 7-slot 1.25GHz 1.2 kernel when I updated to SetCPU 1.5.2. It and the whole system ran irratically. I changed to Koush's P3Droid #24 LV 7-slot 1.25GHz. Battery life improved and everything cooled down and worked more as expected. I'm not sure if it is the new kernel or the process of loading a new kernel that improved things, but I'm staying with #24 now since it's working nicely.

Btw, after a lot of testing with both SetCPU and Temp Monitor, it is my current observation that system battery readings are not reliable enough for a failsafe -- I've seen a number of instances where my Droid should have gone into failsafe and didn't. Mike has very kindly included the ability to use CPU temp in your failsafe now -- it's more tricky to setup, but it appears to be 100% reliable and I highly recommend using it instead of system battery temp, at least with Droids.
  15. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

My min is 500mhz. I am running Pete's 2.1 Stock Rooted with P3 kernel.... Temperature wise, I do not see any difference compared to "Stock" (ok maybe a little bit :).... Battery, well, I carry myself an extra battery and a ZAGG Sparq, one full charge battery lasts me 4 hours with Barnacle on while my iPod Touch connects to it for my Slingplayer :)
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I don't know how people misinterpreted this thread to be about a spike in temps due to the most recent update of SetCPU. That is not the case for me as everything has been running just fine (although I did notice that the active widget revert backs to the original one all the time). I just wanted to know if anyone set their minimum speed to anything above 250 mhz.

I am going to keep my minimum at 400mhz today. I'll report back if I notice any significant changes in battery life and/or temperatures.

*Wait, I see that CK mentioned it now. Proceed :).
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  17. vessej

vessej Premium Member Premium Member

same for me. it seems to get hot quickly.
  18. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

ck its funny u posted this, i noticed the same exact thing and yesterday set cpu said my temps reached 170 after playing homerun 3d for 20 mins ... now it didnt failsafe in setcpu cuz i forgot to turn my profiles back on after playing with it.. but that shouldnt matter cuz the phone has its own failsafe for cpu at 138.... so i was buggin out when i saw 170 but the phone never rebooted but it sure as hell had me worried.. so yes new update does have my phone buggin out and runnin hotter than normal
  19. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The phone's failsafe is not set at 138. My temperatures get much higher than that on a daily basis and the phone has never cut itself off or cranked down the cpu speed on it's own.
  20. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

wow this crazy i just took my phone off the charger and it failsafed without even touching it.. just turned the screen on frm sleep.. im have major issues with the update... is there a way to revert back to the last version of setcpu i like that one better?
Search tags for this page

does the minimum matter in setcpu

min setcpu

set cpu min max mhz

set cpu min speed

set cpu on minimum android

setcpu mhz minimum

setcpu min mhz