Anyone have burn marks on your screen?

dmisc

Reaction score
I noticed this when the background or wallpaper is black or dark. There are several slash lines and marks that are burned onto the screen. They will disappear when the screen is showing lighter colors, but when anything dark comes up (streaming videos, pictures, wallpapers, etc) I can see these lines on the left and right side. There are no marks on the glass, and these lines stay in the same position, even when scrolling. It is easier to see them when in a dark room. I read ebooks and watch shows at night in bed sometimes. It is very noticeable, and starting to get annoying. I will probably be exchanging for another Razr.

Anyone else notice this on their phones?

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is a known issue with these phone due to the oled screen. It is considered normal and not a defect by Motorola. I'm still contemplating returning mine for the Nexus if it does indeed come out Thursday.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I noticed this when the background or wallpaper is black or dark. There are several slash lines and marks that are burned onto the screen. They will disappear when the screen is showing lighter colors, but when anything dark comes up (streaming videos, pictures, wallpapers, etc) I can see these lines on the left and right side. There are no marks on the glass, and these lines stay in the same position, even when scrolling. It is easier to see them when in a dark room. I read ebooks and watch shows at night in bed sometimes. It is very noticeable, and starting to get annoying. I will probably be exchanging for another Razr.

Anyone else notice this on their phones?

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/186034-blotches-test-razr-concern.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-got-my-razr-today-i-have-sone-questions.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/184614-100-point-inspection.html (post #4)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ent-light-low-screen-brightness-settings.html

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Damn, that's not what what I wanted to hear. :(

It's confirmed. It's a characteristic that some were saying was ONLY on RAZRs, but now the truth is out...the beloved Galaxy has it too, as do apparently all AMOLED screens at this point.

Well, in case anyone couldn't get the link to the photos, here it is... https://picasaweb.google.com/105010...sT0x_DUNA&feat=directlink#5679627936172713522

The first photo says it all. It's the same issues that the RAZR has, and apparently is a characteristic of the AMOLED screen. On my first RAZR, it looks like someone scratched the screen up and down across the entire top half of the screen, and then scratched back and forth across the bottom half with a black chalk. This is only visible when viewing very dark areas of scenes in videos or dark areas of photos. On my wife's it's just a couple lines and a few dots here and there. I'll be checking others as time goes on.

I found an easy way to reproduce the screen in a fashion so that the background artifacts are visible. Go download Multitouch Visible Test. It displays a black background with the ability to detect screen touches. It starts with the black screen and the words "Touch Anywhere To Test" in the middle. Briefly tap the screen and then do nothing. You'll be presented with a totally black screen that still has the display activated (i.e. power to the OLEDs). It is during this energized but completely muted display that the background artifacts can be seen.

You will only be able to see them if you're in a DARK room and you've given your eyes a chance to adjust to the very low light levels. Once they do, you'll begin to see a very dark, muted gray/brown screen (at least it is on mine), and then the black splotches will begin to become apparent.

**Edit** There's an even easier way to reproduce it. Go to the camera function, choose Auto for the mode, then select the Flash and turn it off. Then block the camera lens from all light. I simply put the lens on my pant leg on my knee. Then take a picture. When you view the picture, again in a VERY DARK room, preferably NO light at all, you will see the image abberations. You will be better able to see it if you either shut off the backlight for the soft buttons or cover them while viewing so the bright white light of those buttons doesn't reduce the ability to see the screen.

:frown:

OP
D

dmisc

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I was looking through them and comparing the posts with pictures with the splotches/lines i have on mine. The splotches/lines are WAY WORSE on my phone. I not only have some splotches, but i have lots of lines on both sides of the phone. It's a bummer that this is a problem with these type of screens.

Since mine looks very bad compared to the ones ive seen on those post, I will be surely exchanging mine for one with less splotches...hopefully no splotches at all...lol.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the links. I was looking through them and comparing the posts with pictures with the splotches/lines i have on mine. The splotches/lines are WAY WORSE on my phone. I not only have some splotches, but i have lots of lines on both sides of the phone. It's a bummer that this is a problem with these type of screens.

Since mine looks very bad compared to the ones ive seen on those post, I will be surely exchanging mine for one with less splotches...hopefully no splotches at all...lol.

The problem is, as more and more claims are made, there will be a point at which the company makes a blanket statement that these are normal abberations, and that any exchange for them will not be considered a warranty issue, so if you're going to exchange, do it quickly. Also, proving they are there will be a difficult task in a phone center store, considering they're probably not going to go into the bathroom or a closet with you and let you turn out the lights ;).