Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to get too OT here, just noticed your picture. Canoeist?
Amateur/recreational.

That's actually a row boat there though. Try to get into a canoe, kayak, or rowboat of some kind whenever I can. Wish I had the money to set myself up with my own, but there are plenty of rental places in the area, so I can't quite justify it yet.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Even the cashier was like "Holy Cow, it's only $100? I didn't realize it was marked down!" Still has the $229 price tag...

Attachments

• IMG_20141218_140616_004.jpg
    IMG_20141218_140616_004.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 192

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Even the cashier was like "Holy Cow, it's only $100? I didn't realize it was marked down!" Still has the $229 price tag...
I hope you know I'm expecting your initial thoughts on it by 4pm Eastern, when I get off work and will be going to vzw if I haven't talked myself out of it yet.

I should save the money, but it's a good deal and, if it works well enough and satisfies me, I may not need to purchase a more expensive one 'til a ways down the road.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
LOL I will give you what I can by then. I am also in EST. And at work. It's good to be the IT Manager. No one cares if I play with my phone all afternoon. Hey... it's research!!! Have to check with my tax guy. This might be a write off.

Box and Instructions pretty no frill.
Charging it now. Paired with my phone (RAZR M) easily after downloading Android Wear on the phone. First thing it did was do an update. That is installing now.
(New phone in 3 weeks, thank god)
Dock is magnetic so it kind of pops right in there.
Battery is at about 85% so I want to get that first full charge on it before wearing it

*TIP: DO NOT remove the 'cellophane' covering from the bottom of the dock until you are sure where you want to put the dock. I always rip off that plastic crap. Hate it.
Ooops.
The bottom is VERY sticky. I put it back on as best I could. :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
LOL I will give you what I can by then. I am also in EST. And at work. It's good to be the IT Manager. No one cares if I play with my phone all afternoon. Hey... it's research!!! Have to check with my tax guy. This might be a write off.

Box and Instructions pretty no frill.
Charging it now. Paired with my phone (RAZR M) easily after downloading Android Wear on the phone. First thing it did was do an update. That is installing now.
(New phone in 3 weeks, thank god)
Dock is magnetic so it kind of pops right in there.
Battery is at about 85% so I want to get that first full charge on it before wearing it

*TIP: DO NOT remove the 'cellophane' covering from the bottom of the dock until you are sure where you want to put the dock. I always rip off that plastic crap. Hate it.
Ooops.
The bottom is VERY sticky. I put it back on as best I could. :D
I hear you on that one. I almost stopped at vzw while I was out for lunch, but I was already late coming back and know I want to fiddle with it in the store for a little bit before buying it, but nobody would really care if I was in my office playing with it, as long as I come fix their little issues when they call.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Screenshot_2014-12-18-14-49-57[1].png Screenshot_2014-12-18-14-50-32[1].png
Exactly.
Also what I did too. Went to lunch then swung by the store. The "greeter" was like: "There's a 20 minute wait..."
Erg. Since I had my "fiddle time" yesterday I said to her: "I know what I want, can I just give you $100 and take a G watch?"
"Um"... looks around "Sure, let's do this..."
Told her "I really appreciate this"
"You're welcome" and whispered "I understand..." lol Cool chick.

Anyway, 2 screenshots.
Cool feature from the phone app: show you how much time until battery is full.
2nd shot: I immediately got Ingress Notifications so I went into the app and found where to block apps from notifying you. The app seemed kind of barebones at first, but as I poke around there's more to do. You can change watch faces from the phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the biggest selling feature for me other than the price is that it's full-blown Android Wear. MountainbikerMark got the gear fit or something for the same price if I remember right and it's got some nice workarounds, but I like the idea of the full-fledged experience.

I'm watching the comparison video of the g watch and the moto 360 that I had watched a while ago. Forgot that the g watch was the other one in that video because I was fixated on the 360 at the time. In this video at least, the g watch reacts a bit faster and better. Obviously there have been some updates to both since then, but I think I've pretty much decided to go get it, unless my time in the store changes my mind.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The resident Apple nerd called for help, so I put the watch on. Walked to his office, helped him a bit, then we talked about the watch. Came back to my office. The Step Tracker said "170 steps". No way. I walked over there again to actually count... it was MAYBE 80.
Really don't care about that and few, if any, pedometers are even remotely accurate. But it is way off. I'm thinking I will be turning that off.
Apple nerd commented he was surprised by the quality of the band. It is rubber or something similar, but he's right. I hadn't even thought of it. It does seem to be good quality 'rubber'.

Got an email while in his office. I didn't know you could READ the entire email. I thought it was just give you a Notifier. (Can you reply?)
Nice surprise there.

It's back on the charger. Of course, like many devices, when it gets closer to full, charging slows down a bit.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll be interested to compare the pedometer on my note 4 with the watch, since the 4 stays in my pocket during the day as well. Will be interesting to see how/if the watch syncs with s health. I know they have a list of specific devices that they recommend...

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
One last post before the 4:00 deadline. :D
Still getting used to wearing a watch. I like the size though.

Found out how to block apps from the watch. Swipe twice to BLOCK THIS APP?

Yea, couldn't reply to email with voice which is what I'd like to do.
I'm going to turn on Hangouts notices to try that.

So far, I like it a lot. COULD be the honeymoon phase, so we'll see.
Hope I've been helpful. More later.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You certainly have! Thanks for taking the deadline into consideration. ;)

I'm definitely heading to vzw when I leave here and will VERY likely be getting one.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
One more. I LOVE how it goes from sleep to awake when you raise it up to look at it.

Attachments

• On.jpg
    On.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Sleep.jpg
    Sleep.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 174

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The video I watched made a good point about that in the movie theater. Said it came in every time he reached for his drink. That was old though, so I'm hoping they've tweaked it or there'll be an app that can fix that.