Anyone have a Milestone on AT&T yet?

J

JohnDroid

Wondering if anyone has the Milestone running on the AT&T network yet?

CarpeDiem

Reaction score
I have the milestone Telus on AT&T and full 3g but I am so pissed Motorola locked this device, the Telus can not be rooted !!!! Buyers, be aware and careful before you buy any motorola device. the complains are amazingly growing on the web, just check the moto facebook page...

shatteredzman

Reaction score
I got my milestone about an hour ago and I have it working on AT&T. Something I noticed is that is comes with working google navigation. Motonav is on here too but you dont have to use it. I thought the milestone didnt come with google navigation? Or maybe google determines whether or not to give your phone navigation based off of the sim card. I did have an update to google maps when I first turned on the phone.

lexcyn

Reaction score
I got my milestone about an hour ago and I have it working on AT&T. Something I noticed is that is comes with working google navigation. Motonav is on here too but you dont have to use it. I thought the milestone didnt come with google navigation? Or maybe google determines whether or not to give your phone navigation based off of the sim card. I did have an update to google maps when I first turned on the phone.
Google Navigation works if you are in the US. If you are outside the US it won't work. I'm guessing it has something to do with your GPS or cell tower location.

But yes Motonav sucks lol. And the fact we can't root :(

ForBirdie22

Reaction score
Do you have the 3G with the up and down arrow on at all times because mines will show it sometimes and then most of the time its has an H with the up and down arrows?

I know its not edge because i'm getting 3G speed when i tested using speedtest app. I've also seen the edge icon so for sure its not that.

lexcyn

Reaction score
3G with the up/down should be only when you are making voice calls. It should be displaying H all the time, since Telus's network is ONLY HSPA+ and does NOT have EDGE.

For those in the US, on AT&T it would work on EDGE & 3G, as well as 'H' as long as that area had HSPA+ (21mbps) support.

DukeL

Reaction score
I got one working on at&t, works great!

Yah I was also suprised it came with Google Maps because I had heard it only came with motonav. Nice suprise.

H stands for Hsdpa/HSPA. Mine says H most the time and once in a while 3g. I beleive it stands for Hsdpa in my case since at&t only has several markets rolled out so far with HSPA...

"The reality is only 6 US cities have been lit up so far:
Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Miami, with capabilities being turned up on a site-by-site basis beginning last month. Further backhaul deployment will continue in these markets and begin in additional markets across the nation. We anticipate that the majority of our mobile data traffic will be carried over the expanded fiber-based, HSPA 7.2-capable backhaul by the end of this year"

ForBirdie22

Reaction score
thanks for the clarification, i was thinking it might be something with hspa but wanted to make sure.

i'm getting about 1600-1800 when testing with speedtest, and i'm in the sacramento area, seems to be quite fast for mobile browsing.

DukeL

Reaction score
Yep pretty fast. Just clocked 1874 here in san diego.

big_adventure

Reaction score

Poor ATT'ers. Don't get me wrong, my service here is not perfect, but my last speed test was 4329 on downlowd, 460 on upload. :D

I just downloaded a 13MB podcast in 17 seconds.

bastosero

Reaction score
There are now two types of Motorola Milestones available from Buy.com. One of them is an unlocked GSM - Quadband that I'm guessing should be compatible with 3G in North America. Unfortunately, the other one won't be compatible with the 3G in North America. You can, however, get a calling plan with a GSM carrier and then get a mobile wi-fi hotspot device, such as the Verizon Mifi, to have a wi-fi connection with it all the time, but obviously that's if you have the money to spend on all of that.

Motorola DROID Milestone Unlocked GSM Smartphone - Quad-Band, 5 Megapixel Camera, Media Player, Blue - Droid Milestone - Buy.com

motorola milestone: All Search Results - Buy.com

big_adventure

Reaction score

Poor ATT'ers. Don't get me wrong, my service here is not perfect, but my last speed test was 4329 on downlowd, 460 on upload. :D

I just downloaded a 13MB podcast in 17 seconds.

Damn. You must be on Telus HSPA network huh?

Nah, Orange HSPA in France. Two years ago, I never saw more than 400Kbps with iPhone or BlackBerry, then suddenly, consistent 2Mbps, and then, about a month ago, consistent 4 or 4.5 mbps. The only bad thing is that if you go over a gig in a month, they start limiting you to about 350kbps until the end of the month, when it bumps back up. And I go over now.

DukeL

Reaction score
[QUOTE

Nah, Orange HSPA in France. Two years ago, I never saw more than 400Kbps with iPhone or BlackBerry, then suddenly, consistent 2Mbps, and then, about a month ago, consistent 4 or 4.5 mbps. The only bad thing is that if you go over a gig in a month, they start limiting you to about 350kbps until the end of the month, when it bumps back up. And I go over now.[/QUOTE]

Damn yep Europe is way faster I hear but we are catching up.lol.

dieKatze88

Reaction score
[QUOTE

Nah, Orange HSPA in France. Two years ago, I never saw more than 400Kbps with iPhone or BlackBerry, then suddenly, consistent 2Mbps, and then, about a month ago, consistent 4 or 4.5 mbps. The only bad thing is that if you go over a gig in a month, they start limiting you to about 350kbps until the end of the month, when it bumps back up. And I go over now.

Damn yep Europe is way faster I hear but we are catching up.lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we used to be faster than everyone else in our very limited rollout of HSDPA at 1.6mb/s CONSTANT. But that was before Apple came through and ruined our network.

I get my milestone next week.