anyone happy with iGo car charger? (Mo-Droid)

snappingfish

Reaction score
Some guy had a pic of his Droid in a car stand that bolted down-not for me, but its not about that. The charger he was using was an "iGo Charger" and I have heard that other than OEM chargers could present a problem with the Moto Droid.

Any feedback on this charger? I really like the way the cord leaves the plug at a 90 angle-seems like it would sure help keep things tidy.

thanks,
fish

HERE IS A PIC

Last edited:

Cleskers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No prob here use it on my Droid and my wife's BB.

ravichopra

Reaction score
I just choke on the price

for these chargers where they ask $20+ for about $2 worth of plastic and wire.

I've patched one together from a couple parts from monoprice:
Car charger to USB: For only $1.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories - $1.16
USB to micro-USB wire: For only $0.84 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 1.5ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type - $1.02 (I know it's a short wire - you can get the 6 ft one for $1.28)

Works fine for both my Droid and another Moto phone my wife uses.

$2.18 or $20 - the choice is easy IMHO.
-Ravi

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
my Igo works great, have had this same charger for the last 4 phones.

ME TOO!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. I've had the charger for years and just change tips when needed. However, I'm using the same tip that I used with my Storm with nary an issue. Works way better than that charger that came with that Seidio piece of junk dock.

JimmyD

Reaction score

Car charger to USB: For only $1.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories - $1.16
USB to micro-USB wire: For only $0.84 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 1.5ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type - $1.02 (I know it's a short wire - you can get the 6 ft one for $1.28)

-Ravi

:happy: Agreed. I'm charging up my Droid in my car the same way you are!

kjwalker

Reaction score

-Ravi
I'd rather pay the extra money for the convenience of swapping out tips instead of cables whenever I please. Plus I paid $5 for the car charger and $2 for the tip from eBay. $7 isn't going to bankrupt anyone :p

Last edited:

ravichopra

Reaction score

-Ravi
I'd rather pay the extra money for the convenience of swapping out tips instead of cables whenever I please. Plus I paid $5 for the car charger and $2 for the tip from eBay. $7 isn't going to bankrupt anyone :p

I'm not really sure how swapping a proprietary tip is more "convenient" than swapping a generic USB cable which you can buy anywhere for less, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

kjwalker

Reaction score

-Ravi

I'm not really sure how swapping a proprietary tip is more "convenient" than swapping a generic USB cable which you can buy anywhere for less, but hey, whatever floats your boat...
Storing 5 tips vs 5 cables is quite a bit more convenient.

OP
snappingfish

snappingfish

Reaction score
re chargers

Storing 5 tips vs 5 cables is quite a bit more convenient.

There is chat going on about some chargers do not work on the Droid. If that be the case, then a homemade cable, even though it seems to fit, might be doing damage to the pins, or the battery.

Don't know, don't really care, because I bought one that is proven to work on the Droid.

jus' sayin' is all!
fish

WVOz1970

Reaction score
I guess time will tell... but my iGo works fine with my Droid. I've used it for my last three phones (Moto Q, Samsung Omnia, and now Droid). Also swap the tips out when we're traveling so my wife can use it also with her Alias.

I think the folks at iGo spend a bit more time and effort on making their product, so I don't feel too worried about quality.

I also bought an iGo power unit for my laptop when my OEM power supply died. It's great because I typically travel with two laptops when I'm on the road. All I need are the two tips and the one power supply now instead of two dedicated power supplies.