Anyone going from dolphin to mozilla?

Silentdawn

Reaction score
Phoxus, you sound like you're plugging this app... I didn't like XScope.. Seemed to eat memory

droidfannd

Reaction score
If the mobile version of Firefox supports some of the extensions I enjoy on my laptop & desktop...I'd gladly consider making a switch.

But really...how can anyone say for sure if they are going to stop using Dolphin to use Firefox until a beta or the final product is released?

ejbaca03

Reaction score
Im using XScope and it is way better than the default browser and Dolphin. It has pinch zoom and a tap and hold zoom feature thats pretty cool too.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
-_-

I wish people would actually try XScope

I've not heard one complaint. It's got everything Dolphin has without the ugly homepage or the ads.

AND AN AMAZING video downloader - try it at your favorite site ... or naughty site lol

I tried it didn't like it. I also as i have stated many times in other threads do not like what they are doing to this browser by adding things onto it such as to do lists and a task killer. why does a browser need to have a task killer? Almost all the browsers work exactly the same from the same engine anyways... webkit or whatever its called. so really you try one you tried them all.

I use dolphin. It's fast, it works, and I like my tabs. key for me is tabs like firefox on desktop. I cannot stand having multiple windows and having to hit option and then pick my window like i did with the i think milestone ported browser.....

Now if firefox devs can step it up a notch and get things in gear fennec might be a gem for android. are they going to use webkit too or will they be going with their gecko rendering engine or whatever it's called?

Phoxus

Reaction score
XScope Lite doesn't have the file manager/task killer.

At all so that kicks that out of there, and it has tabs?...

It's all preference I suppose, and I respect that!

P.S. I may be wrong but I did read somewhere it was based off safari/google chrome not webkit (this is very possible i'm wrong)

Balthazar

Reaction score
+1 for xscope. I agree with the poster about not needing a task killer and file browser built in, but it seems much smoother than dolphin to me and the pin-zoom is pretty innovative. It makes one handed web browsing much easier. Plus the developer is pretty active on this forum and seems very responsive. I like the minimalist look of the browser also, I didn't really care about being able to apply a theme to my browser.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Back on topic (let's drop the talk about xScope since that's not what the OP intended).

If Mozilla is smart, they will get Fennecc out ASAP while the Android system is fresh on people's minds.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Firefox was probably one of the best things I ever switched to years ago, getting away from IE was awesome.

Hopefully they do it right for this OS and I'll use it for sure. I don't like pinch to zoom though, I enjoy the double tap honestly, but I definitely like firefox's UI much more than the default browser.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Those saying Dolphin is full of ads....
Except for the ads on the webpages themselves....what are you talking about?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The default browser on all androids is basically a mobile version of Google Chrome. I'm not sure where I found out about this but I am pretty sure it's accurate.

It's actually based on Webkit.

Webkit is just a browser engine, not a Browser in itself.

Chrome is based on Webkit as well. So it still stands that the Android browser may share some lineage with Chrome.

Webkit in itself isn't even an original engine. Its an offshoot of KHTML.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dolphin has very few ads and none on the websites - it's just the complainers who like to whine about everything.

XScope stinks. It doesnt even have the basic features of the default browser.

Right now I'm using the default because pinch zoom is meaningless to me when I can hit a button to expand and it goes where I want.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Xscope tries to do too much, and the UI is one of the worst I have ever seen. I honestly feel like I am using Verizon's browser on their dumb phones. The UI I feel is one of the biggest things holding it back.

snooze

Reaction score
Is development of firefox mobile for android even in the near future? I was understanding that they (mozilla) have not fully analyzed the java based OS systems to warrant java based development; hence only seeing Firefox mobile for Nokia OS' and WinMo ... not BB, webOS, or android. (mozilla wiki link) ... I would pleasantly surprised if this were not the case.