Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Got the notification for the update this morning. Gonna check around to see if I stay rooted before I install it

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Might have my first issue with the new update. Got a VM, with the little VM notification. Called VM and listened to it, then hung up. Notification doesn't go away. Grrrrrr

tbolted

Reaction score
Got mine over night, but holding off installing until I hear more about possible battery life issues. Has anyone had it long enough to notice if your battery is draining faster than before?

tbolted

Reaction score
Ok, good. In the other thread on this update your screen shots show almost exactly the same battery usage stats as mine at that time, but I had been on battery for about 6 hours longer than you had. So I was hoping that wasn't because the update caused a battery drain issue.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I received my OTA yesterday, 2/27/14. All good here thus far.

nri1998

Reaction score
Got my update to 4.4.2 last Monday. I noticed the following issues as of today (after the update). I did the cache clear using boot options.

1) Battery draining faster
2) Rebooted by itself twice
3) Duplicate email notification icon with sign-in error issue continues after the update
4) Applications seem to open slowly
5) After sending a group SMS using the default SMS program, if someone in the group replies, it is creating an individual thread showing only that person in the chat instead of the group. This problem was there in 4.4 as well but not in Jelly Bean. I switched to Hangouts as the default program and this one works as expected.

I am not sure Motorola will release another update for this phone again. Even if it did, I don't think it will be anytime soon. I guess I have to live with these issues until I change my phone.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Got my update to 4.4.2 last Monday. I noticed the following issues as of today (after the update). I did the cache clear using boot options.

1) Battery draining faster
2) Rebooted by itself twice
3) Duplicate email notification icon with sign-in error issue continues after the update
4) Applications seem to open slowly
5) After sending a group SMS using the default SMS program, if someone in the group replies, it is creating an individual thread showing only that person in the chat instead of the group. This problem was there in 4.4 as well but not in Jelly Bean. I switched to Hangouts as the default program and this one works as expected.

I am not sure Motorola will release another update for this phone again. Even if it did, I don't think it will be anytime soon. I guess I have to live with these issues until I change my phone.

I would try a factory reset/data wipe. I wouldn't be surprised if that fixes all, or at least most of your issues. I always feel it is best to factory reset after every OTA, even though it is kind of a pain. After going through so many years of dealing with root/ROMs, I don't find factory resets to be quite as big of a burden as others.

In regards to Motorola not releasing another update for this phone again, there is simply no reason to believe that. This phone's lifespan in terms of OTA updates won't be affected by the potential Lenovo purchase because of how long it takes for such a massive deal to go through. I have no reason to believe that this phone would be abandoned before Lenovo takes over, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lenovo continues to support it even after the acquisition.

And considering that 4.4.2 is the absolute newest version of Android, there is really no way to tell when the next OTA update will come. There may be more incremental updates to KitKat, but no one knows because there aren't any other newer versions of Android available. Maybe even a bug fixer OTA for those experiencing issues with this 4.4.2 OTA. However, most of the reviews on various Android sites across the internet are overwhelmingly positive for this update. Most people's issues with 4.4 have been solved with 4.4.2. This is why I suggest a factory reset/data wipe.

The next Android version will likely be released alongside the next Nexus device. The Nexus 5, which debuted KitKat, wasn't released until October 31 of last year. So not expecting another update anytime soon is probably pretty accurate barring an incremental KitKat update. I fully expect the Moto X to be supported in terms of software/firmware for 18 months after its initial release. That's all I can expect of any device and there is no evidence as to why to believe anything different.

Last edited:

tbolted

Reaction score
I haven't seen any differences, except that the battery life seems to be even better since the update. I didn't bother to plug in last night after 18 hours on battery, because it was still at ~70%. Right now it's at 21% remaining at 1d 12h 30m on battery. I haven't made very many or long voice calls over that time, almost all of the usage is screen. Still pretty good though, especially compared to my thunderbolt.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I haven't really noticed any difference in anything since the update. Battery life seems the same (which is good. I have no issue at all with the battery life on the X)

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I had no issues at first, but now I'm noticing a bit of accelerated battery drain with no increase in use.

See attachment. Why is Android OS using 38% of my battery now? I'm assuming this is my battery killer. Any ideas on how to remedy this (other than factory reset, I'd rather not...)?

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Me too. Battery has been draining way quicker. I read an article that said 4.4.2 is effecting moto x, nexus 5 and a couple of others. It said Google is working on it. Don't have a link, sorry. I read it a few days ago. My battery drain doesn't happen all the time. But when it does I can drop 30% in 3 hours without touching my phone. They said a quick reboot usually fixes it temporarily. Hopefully we get a fix soon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/03/05/moto-x-reportedly-seeing-battery-drain-on-android-4-4-2/

Found the link. Wasn't hard.

Last edited: