Anyone get it yet?

MaXGTS

Reaction score
pappatech: This is a problem because rooting and using the wifi hotspot is the main thing I plan on doing with the Maxx. Please let us know if you find a solution to the wifi issue you're having.

bw13

Reaction score
razr Maxx

Got mine today, coming from the Droid 3. I no longer used the keyboard because I've gotten so proficient with Swype, so why carry around the bulk? First off, I can't believe this thing has such a big battery because it is still very slim and light. Secondly, I don't get all the bashing on the screen, it looks really good. I know everyone loves Samsung's screens but they are too dark when surfing the web. This screen is not as bright as the old LCD screens but the colors and contrast are much better. I have it turned on full brightness, why not, I have a big battery!

The only thing I'm disapointed with is the strength of vibration. Incredibly weak, maybe because of the built-in battery? I will never feel this vibrate in my pocket and may never even hear it vibrate in a meeting unless I leave it on something that will add to the noise.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Got mine today, coming from the Droid 3. I no longer used the keyboard because I've gotten so proficient with Swype, so why carry around the bulk? First off, I can't believe this thing has such a big battery because it is still very slim and light. Secondly, I don't get all the bashing on the screen, it looks really good. I know everyone loves Samsung's screens but they are too dark when surfing the web. This screen is not as bright as the old LCD screens but the colors and contrast are much better. I have it turned on full brightness, why not, I have a big battery!

The only thing I'm disapointed with is the strength of vibration. Incredibly weak, maybe because of the built-in battery? I will never feel this vibrate in my pocket and may never even hear it vibrate in a meeting unless I leave it on something that will add to the noise.

You might check into the app Volume+ in the market - several have used it on the GNex to increase the volume and it has worked on the vibration as well...

bw13

Reaction score
I'll try it, but the volume on the Razr maxx is awesome, very loud, only the vibration is weak. Will that app make the phone too loud?

pappatech

Reaction score
Got it working.

pappatech: This is a problem because rooting and using the wifi hotspot is the main thing I plan on doing with the Maxx. Please let us know if you find a solution to the wifi issue you're having.

I found a solution that is working good right now.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/181913-razr-root-wireless-tether-issue.html

Go to #9 post. I have tested and I am getting 15mbps down and 8mbps up. Pretty good. A little slower than usb connected but not by much.

hailster

Reaction score
I picked it up about 2 hours ago. I've been playing with it non-stop and the battery hasn't really dropped much, compared to my original Droid.

I was pretty concerned about not having a hardware keyboard but after getting used to just using the screen and then using Swype I'm no long concerned about it and so far love this phone.

OP
TristanCross

TristanCross

Reaction score
During your lunch break? I didn't know there were jobs with 5 hour lunch breaks (seriously, I have to plan my days around Verizon trips when I go lol)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

buckfill

Reaction score
I caved and bought the maxx tonight. This is such a nice phone and I HATE seeing the maxx separated from the razr thread. They are the same dang phone. Anyway, I know there is a lot of talk about blur or whatever it is, but I gotta say... It's nice. Smart Actions is cool. The whole phone is just downright cool. My history is Treo-> Moto with Windows(dont remember the name) -> D1-> Inc -> Iphone -> Galaxy Nexus -> Inc -> Maxx.

I gotta say.. If you want an out of box good experience, then this is a good phone. I rom'd my Inc and that was cool. I tried the Nexus S, but couldn't handle the battery or signal drops. I've had this phone for several hours and had a lot of voice calls in that time. This thing is golden on audio. It's as good if not better than iphone. Sorry, but the iphone rocks in that world too! I got the phone with 30% battery and after all the calls and pretty much screen on the whole time it only dropped 10%. Mind you, I was totally using the thing. Calls, wifi, texting, etc. I will say I've laid off it for an hour and it takes a LONG time to charge. i'm only at 60%! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Did I mention the stock keyboard? Text prediction on this thing is absurd! You start typing in landscape and the thing throws about 15 possibilities at you! lol. It's cool and I'll probably ditch swiftkey because of it. Signal strength is awesome. I'm sitting here with -85 whereas the Gnex was -120!

Also on screen size... I've read a lot of people bashing the size on these new phones. i used to think that too, but you get over it REALLY quick once you work at it. I really missed the Gnex screen after going back to the inc.

I still question 21 hours of talk time. If I can go 24 hours with pretty moderate use, then I am happy. What I saw tonight has me really stoked to give it a workout tomorrow. ok.... off to bed. Me and the razr have an EARLY morning!

breachless

Reaction score
I went in and exchanged my Galaxy Nexus last night for this. Extremely sad to let the G-Nex go since it IS the most pleasant phone to use that I have ever seen, but that battery just wasn't going to cut it.

So my thoughts are as follows:

Coming from using the Galaxy Nexus for a week and then using this one, a few things really stand out: the screen is atrocious by comparison (grainy and pixellated as well as washed out colors), it's not nearly as smooth or snappy, and I didn't realize just how much better ICS really is than Gingerbread until I went back to Gingerbread again, and I still cannot stand what Moto does with Android for their devices...

That all being said, I am absolutely happy with my decision. This phone feels like a much more well-built device than the Galaxy Nexus. It has just the right amount of heft to it without feeling heavy, and I actually really like the way it looks. While the screen may be terrible compared to the G-Nex, it's probably going to look just fine to most people as long as you aren't coming off of a week of using a phone that has arguably the best screen in the mobile world right now, and this is a definite improvement in performance over my old Droid 2. I also immediately noticed a difference in signal between this and the G-Nex. The Razr has consistently better signal reception, with significantly faster speeds. The difference is ridiculous. And that battery... Oh how I love that battery. This is what I have been longing for since the day I brought home my first Smartphone: with this phone, you have the luxury of being able to use it for whatever you like and can have confidence that the phone will last all day regardless. This is why I bought this phone, and I hope other phone manufacturers take notice. I will take performance hits, and even tolerate a thicker phone if it means I can rely on it all day to do whatever I want it to do.

Still at the end of the day, I can't help but wish I could have a Razr Maxx, with a Galaxy Nexus screen, running ICS. That would pretty much be the perfect phone. Given their strengths and weaknesses though, you can't go wrong with the Maxx.

Also, just in case anyone is wondering, I rooted it using the same methods as those for the regular Razr. I know that's probably a given, but just in case anyone wants absolute clarification, there you go.

msblueline

Reaction score
Still at the end of the day, I can't help but wish I could have a Razr Maxx, with a Galaxy Nexus screen, running ICS. That would pretty much be the perfect phone. Given their strengths and weaknesses though, you can't go wrong with the Maxx.

Maybe the ICS will make the Razr Maxx screen look better. You have to realize too that you were using an updated software. After we get ICS 4.0 you may get your screen back.

msblueline

surge

Reaction score
I have a Xoom with ICS. It is nice, but I haven't noticed any real benefit. After using it then going back to my Razr I find I like it better. I useand like the Blur features.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

msblueline

Reaction score
I have a Xoom with ICS. It is nice, but I haven't noticed any real benefit. After using it then going back to my Razr I find I like it better. I useand like the Blur features.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

You like the DRM better than the Xoom screen? What are the specs on the Xoom? When I was comparing other devices I noticed that others a TFT color whereas the Razr and Razr Maxx had FULL color.

Not sure if that is a difference or not, just and observaiton.

msblueline