Anyone get Google Messenger to work?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fairly common problem since November... Using Google Messenger, works great, but if you do a group MMS with an attachment, like a pic, it slows to a crawl and can take minutes, hours or even days to send and receive, and while that is going on, the app cannot send or receive any other SMS or MMS messages.

Stock app works fine, Hangouts works fine... 3rd party apps work fine. This is pretty much limited to the Google Messenger app. Updates haven't fixed it.

Some say that changing APN settings can fix it, but VZW doesn't allow you to change any of those.

Any know how to get this to work?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I haven't run into this, but I also haven't had a need to send a group mms. Hopefully someone might know about the issue.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm not having any issues with Google messenger....and I use group and mms.. I'm on AT&T..

Tap'd by Big 6

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
No issues here either. On T-Mobile.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Fairly common problem since November... Using Google Messenger, works great, but if you do a group MMS with an attachment, like a pic, it slows to a crawl and can take minutes, hours or even days to send and receive, and while that is going on, the app cannot send or receive any other SMS or MMS messages.

Stock app works fine, Hangouts works fine... 3rd party apps work fine. This is pretty much limited to the Google Messenger app. Updates haven't fixed it.

Some say that changing APN settings can fix it, but VZW doesn't allow you to change any of those.

Any know how to get this to work?
You may want to backup your data and do a factory reset. This tends to clear all the garbage and gives you a fresh start. Let us know if it works for you.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I may try the factory reset, but I have seen so many people with this issue that I doubt it will work.

MMS seems to be ok, except when one of the other parties sends you a file or pic attachment.

It tries to download it and fails and the thing lags out for several minutes before the app is usable again. And as soon as someone in the MMS tries to text you again, it tries to download it again... wash, rinse, repeat.

Go to the stock messenger or Hangouts, works fine.

It is specific to the Google Messenger app, and has been an issue for a lot of folks for 4 months now and nobody seems to be able to lock down the reason or fix.

The one thing that I have seen, is the APN settings, that other carriers let you have access to, but VZW does not...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's very likely a Verizon issue rather than a Google Messenger issue. Non-stock messaging apps have almost always had problems of some sort with MMS on Verizon. This is particularly true with image and video attachments. Google Messenger has worked far better than any other has for me, but I have experienced the same issue you're describing.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's so weird... In my research for material design based apps, I see this review, and if you look at the cons, you see them pointing out a lot of MMS issues...

I wonder why Google hasn't addressed this yet?

Attachments

• 2015-03-03 11_20_33-26 best Material Design apps for Android (so far).jpg
    2015-03-03 11_20_33-26 best Material Design apps for Android (so far).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 284

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's so weird... In my research for material design based apps, I see this review, and if you look at the cons, you see them pointing out a lot of MMS issues...

I wonder why Google hasn't addressed this yet?
My guess is that most of those users are on Verizon. If that's the case, it's likely a Verizon issue. Non-stock messaging apps have almost always had problems with MMS on Verizon. If it is a Verizon issue, there's probably not much Google can do.

Have you read many reports of non-Verizon users having the same problem(s)? Based on the posts above, users here on AT&T and T-Mobile aren't experiencing them.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is that most of those users are on Verizon. If that's the case, it's likely a Verizon issue. Non-stock messaging apps have almost always had problems with MMS on Verizon. If it is a Verizon issue, there's probably not much Google can do.

Have you read many reports of non-Verizon users having the same problem(s)? Based on the posts above, users here on AT&T and T-Mobile aren't experiencing them.

Actually I have read about people on TMo and Sprint also having the issues. The difference is that they can access the APN settings, while we cannot...