Anyone find a good arm band for the Bionic?

HorsePony

Reaction score
For those that are looking for something with a cover, just came across this one on Amazon (noted as specific for the Bionic, both standard and extended battery) that has a cover and both reviews saying it holds to a good sized arm. Getting scary how Amazon is showing me recommendations based off of crap I'm looking at while on other websites...LOL.

Amazon.com: Armband for Droid Bionic: Cell Phones & Accessories

lykofos

Reaction score
Important update for anyone ordering an Amphipod: ArmPod

If you're a weight lifter, you have to call in and specify your bicep measurements when ordering.
I just ordered the Armpod last friday and got it today. On the website it says fits up to an 18" arm, but the one I received says 8-15" and I couldn't even get it buckled through the loop because of my 16" bicep.

Called customer service and she said this is a newer model of the Armpod and the website is still displaying the older model / specifications. Their website is old and needs updated. However, the strap is completely removable from the holster, and they make custom ordered straps specifically for weight lifters. Since it was was an error on their end, she wrote down my bicep measurements and said they'd ship out a custom strap tomorrow free of charge!

So, great company and settled my issue quickly. Very pleased and would recommend ordering from them! I'll post another review of the product once I get the new strap.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Awesome that you got a cool response from them like that.
Mine, that I ran the marathon with this past October, is still holding up like a champ through my weekly runs and my days at the gym with weights.
Coupling this with my Jaybird Freedom bluetooth earbuds...I really like gearing up for workouts.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just ordered an Amphipod. I hope it works well with my Jaybird Sportsband. I'm usually a treadmill runner but with some 5K's under my belt I want to have music while running outside.

HorsePony

Reaction score
I'm the OP...
Still using my same Amphipod...
Still wearing my Jaybird Freedoms...
Still running 9 miles home from work every week outdoors...
Still running about a 9:10 pace, or about 6.5 mph...
The armband hasn't let me down yet.

It rocks. I think you'll enjoy it.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Important update for anyone ordering an Amphipod: ArmPod

If you're a weight lifter, you have to call in and specify your bicep measurements when ordering.
I just ordered the Armpod last friday and got it today. On the website it says fits up to an 18" arm, but the one I received says 8-15" and I couldn't even get it buckled through the loop because of my 16" bicep.

Called customer service and she said this is a newer model of the Armpod and the website is still displaying the older model / specifications. Their website is old and needs updated. However, the strap is completely removable from the holster, and they make custom ordered straps specifically for weight lifters. Since it was was an error on their end, she wrote down my bicep measurements and said they'd ship out a custom strap tomorrow free of charge!

So, great company and settled my issue quickly. Very pleased and would recommend ordering from them! I'll post another review of the product once I get the new strap.

So what's the final verdict once you got to use it, lyko?

Reaction score
has anyone tried running in the rain with this? those flimsy elastics have me nervous, but if you guys have used it for a while and it hasn't failed yet, i can trust ya

HorsePony

Reaction score
has anyone tried running in the rain with this? those flimsy elastics have me nervous, but if you guys have used it for a while and it hasn't failed yet, i can trust ya

Ran in the rain....everything is fine.
LOL....and these elastics are certainly not flimsy. You do not feel your phone (or armband) move an inch as your swinging your arm back and forth.
Seriously...I would not endorse a product this fervently if it did me any injustice at all. The fact is, it really did satisfy every need I had, both as a runner, and a gym/weight participant.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
Bought one because of this thread. I rode down hill on a mountain bike a total of ten miles through the woods plus over pretty rough terrain. It was perfect... Never slipped or came out. Great purchase!

HorsePony

Reaction score
Bought one because of this thread. I rode down hill on a mountain bike a total of ten miles through the woods plus over pretty rough terrain. It was perfect... Never slipped or came out. Great purchase!

Awesome that it worked out for you!
Glad we could have helped!

matthelm007

Reaction score
Anyone know if the armpod will fit a bionic with the OtterBox Defender case on it?

brent.murray

Reaction score
HorsePony said:
Saw your question...think I have a great answer.

When I bought the Bionic on the day it came out, one of my first goals was to get a new armband for my workouts.
Specifically, I'm running the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 9th and wanted something that would not only hold my Bionic, but hold a Bionic with the extended battery on it (I'll be running my RunKeeper App along with my Spotify and wanted to make sure I had enough juice throughout the 4-hr race). So something that accommodated the extended battery (as well as without) was a must for me.

The other must for me was something that did not have a plastic cover over it (as I think the one you linked to did). I don't like the plastic enclosure because of sweat and potential heat/condensation within the enclosure.

Found something from Amphipod. I previously only owned a runny fanny pack from them that I used with my D1, but it never failed. I, however, wanted to get away from running with something around my waist and, for the Bionic, wanted something on my arm.

Found this: http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/-electronics/armpod
Dude...this thing ROCKS.
1: The elastics that fit around each edge of the phone accommodate a lot of sizes. SNUG is my Bionic with both the regular battery, the extended battery and, hell, even when I have my Bionic case ON the phone.
2: No plastic cover on it so the phone doesn't get trapped in a heat compartment or condensed around.
3: They give you a cover that you can velcro atop the phone if you want to take it out into the rain and such, but you can run without it.
4: I tested this very armband on my last Saturday training run, which was 20 miles. Phone did not move, jiggle, feel uncomfortable, slip down my arm...NOTHING. Really, I was skeptical about the elastic bands around the corners, thinking that they would have to give when running...not a BIT.
5: The elastic bands are soft and the felt around the sides are soft. No scratching or risk of scratching the screen while running.
6: I run an average of 9:20 - 9:40min per mile, so I'm in no way some slow, slacker runner. My arm's are movin'. It was great to only worry about it in the first mile (as I was just testing it out) and not even thinking about it for the remaining 19.

I know you said above that you bought the brand you linked to...but if you find that you're dissatisfied with it, try the Amphipod out.
I would not have bought this thing online alone. I was lucky to find just one left at a Runner's Edge store here in Chicago and got to try it on and throw the Bionic in there...shook it around a bit. Otherwise, really, I would not have put stock into those elastic bands just from my computer screen alone.

This is the best testimonial I could give to a fellow active person looking to take their Bionic out on the run with them.
Hope it helps you (and others).

- HP

Hey man, thanks for this excellent post. I've been wanting one and this review was outstanding!!