anyone ever get into it with verizon abt rooted phones or stuck with the 500$ fee

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
well im rooted..i told verizon the power button works when it wants to..so lets see what happens..dont see how rooting will affect a physical button..but u never know with vz

malaroth

Reaction score
Again the "$500" is being confused as a flat thing. It's not. It's ONLY a charge if they receive the faulty device, determine that the warranty was void, and bill you for a full price replacement.... in such a case where "$500" was the full price for the phone.however the new insurance premiums for the level 3 phones i.e. smart phones. (CDMA, 3G, smart phone) is $175 due to the extreme cost of the phone. But there is no fee for voiding your warranty. Its not illegal

Sourcerized, Milestoned, just missing the Cheetos and Redbull. http://teamsourcery.com/Images/teambanner.png FTW Keep the Magic alive!!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The deductible is only $100, where do you keep coming up with $500.
$500 is the max they can charge you if your phone is rooted, etc, when you return it for repair. My point is that if the damage is hardware failure or something not caused by simply being rooted then it's ridiculous for them to charge up to that max amount. My digitizer failed and if for some reason I hadn't been able to SBF back to stock they would have charged me up the wazoo for something that was unrelated to being rooted. Ridiculous. I own the device and if I choose to root to remove the bloatware that makes the phone unstable and actually more prone to issues I shouldn't be charged when something unconnected fails.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
$500 is the max they can charge you if your phone is rooted, etc, when you return it for repair. My point is that if the damage is hardware failure or something not caused by simply being rooted then it's ridiculous for them to charge up to that max amount. My digitizer failed and if for some reason I hadn't been able to SBF back to stock they would have charged me up the wazoo for something that was unrelated to being rooted. Ridiculous. I own the device and if I choose to root to remove the bloatware that makes the phone unstable and actually more prone to issues I shouldn't be charged when something unconnected fails.
what phone did u sbf?
to bad that trick wont work on ics phones

vatothe0

Reaction score
Again, where are you getting this figure from? As of a year ago when I worked there, it was $300 flat, if a phone was sent in that was not covered by warranty. The reason didn't matter and there was no sliding scale.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
what phone did u sbf?
to bad that trick wont work on ics phones
Moto Droid 2

Again, where are you getting this figure from? As of a year ago when I worked there, it was $300 flat, if a phone was sent in that was not covered by warranty. The reason didn't matter and there was no sliding scale.
I'm getting the figure from the letter that VZ sent with the replacement phone stating that if the broken phone is returned in anything other than stock condition or if it is not returned at all that I could be charged up to a maximum of $500. VZ also sent daily texts once I received the phone until they got the old one back and verified that it was stock.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Moto Droid 2

I'm getting the figure from the letter that VZ sent with the replacement phone stating that if the broken phone is returned in anything other than stock condition or if it is not returned at all that I could be charged up to a maximum of $500. VZ also sent daily texts once I received the phone until they got the old one back and verified that it was stock.

Sounds like too many people were happy to eat the $300 cost so it was increased to $500 then.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I've returned 2 previously rooted GNex phones, SBF'd back to stock, one through WUG's toolkit and the other using the phone itself because my charge port was broken and I could not connect it to the computer. I have yet to be slapped with a fee for having my phone previously rooted. I'm not sure how in-depth they check for previous root, if they normally check at all. Not to mention it has been said that people have been receiving pre-unlocked phones from Verizon from time to time, although an unlocked bootloader does not necessarily mean it has been rooted. Though unlocking the bootloader supposedly voids the warranty as well. I'm not sure there is too much to worry about in this area, as I have returned many previously rooted phones in the last 3 years of owning smart phones and never got smacked with fees.

Quick

Reaction score
I'm not sure there is too much to worry about in this area, as I have returned many previously rooted phones in the last 3 years of owning smart phones and never got smacked with fees.

How recently? It's just with ICS they added the easily visible indicator on the restore screen. Obviously writing that information to some other memory somewhere. Don't know if they did that or something similar before and just didn't display it. Not sure who does the inspection to make that determination either. Possibly VZW or maybe it's checked by Motorola when they get it for refurb?

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
A gnex is ics...and sbf'ing wont do the trick as in to not getting caught...maybe the i.t tech was hungover that day and didnt care much abt detail..

Quick

Reaction score
A gnex is ics...and sbf'ing wont do the trick as in to not getting caught...maybe the i.t tech was hungover that day and didnt care much abt detail..

I would guess it depends on who checks it (VZW or mfg) and for what. And if it's insured or just under the initial warranty.
I can imagine they may not check it for root if the cause for return is that the power button came loose and fell into the case.

I don't know how refurbishing is handled either. Obviously if it's a hardware issue it goes back to the factory for refurbish or scrap. If it's a software issue it may just get re-initialized/flashed and tested by VZW (since it's their customized image that's on there). And when you're dealing with 10s or 100s of thousands of returns it's not going to be your generic tech dealing with it. They (VZW and the mfg) will have a department, equipment dedicated to returns with well defined procedures and decision points.

Last edited:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
How recently? It's just with ICS they added the easily visible indicator on the restore screen. Obviously writing that information to some other memory somewhere. Don't know if they did that or something similar before and just didn't display it. Not sure who does the inspection to make that determination either. Possibly VZW or maybe it's checked by Motorola when they get it for refurb?

I just returned my GNex with the broken charge port about 2 months ago. I'd imagine they would have smacked me with the fee by now if they were going to. Is it a known fact that they check every single phone for previous root? If so, maybe they don't punish you if the phone was returned for a legitimate hardware issue or something.

Quick

Reaction score
I just returned my GNex with the broken charge port about 2 months ago. I'd imagine they would have smacked me with the fee by now if they were going to. Is it a known fact that they check every single phone for previous root? If so, maybe they don't punish you if the phone was returned for a legitimate hardware issue or something.

Nothing but speculation on how, who, when, or if they check. Few blurbs in the rags saying they are tightening up and maybe an ominous info notice from VZW implying the same. Couple of reports on here of people who got charged a couple of months later for their replacement but no confirmed details on exactly why.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Guess I better keep my eyes open for an extra charge on my phone bill then haha. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :p