Anyone envy the RAZR maxx??? Stopped by the store and love that 3300 battery....

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
My Nexus Last a full 16 to 18 Hrs a day playing games and on it constantly checking my email and documents. This is with the stock battery so no I am not envious of the Razr Maxx at all. I love my Nexus and Ice cream sandwich... I actually love Motorola phones but without an moveable battery I did not want to deal with it...

Last edited:

Syraz

Reaction score
Lots of hate here for Moto. After the great experience I had with my D1 Id buy another Motorola but I really like ICS, and getting my first Gnex replaced with another one, I'm finally happy.

As far as battery goes, Im usually able to charge when I need to, and my biggest drain is usually usage in the car with nav of streaming music, so i just plug it in.

I wish the Gnex had the same sort of support for accessories as moto phones, thats the only thing I am disappointed in the with Gnex

I have a love hate relationship with Motorola, D1 was great, D2 build quality was great, I like the looks also, GB update killed it and every CLNR same issue, X2 great build quality and looks, crappy screen..

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Moto build quality took a dive since they started releasing phones so fast. The Bionic was made of cheap materials. The RAZR has a screen that can be so much better. Now the RAZR MAXX has the same screen even though it could be the better one overseas.

Also when I had the Bionic what was very annoying was how the storage was set up. With the nexus you have all 32g all in one place.

bwillie

Reaction score
I'm hoping if moto can make a 3300 battery this thin, Samsung will make a thinner battery for the g-nex down the road. I'm still vary happy with the 2100 battery right now but I could always use more time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The 2100 more than meets my needs. The only beef I have with the nexus is that it's too slippery. I don't like having to ugly it up with a case.

I'm hoping if moto can make a 3300 battery this thin, Samsung will make a thinner battery for the g-nex down the road. I'm still vary happy with the 2100 battery right now but I could always use more time.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sadly the reason the battery can be so big in the Razr Maxx while remaining thin is because of their non-removable back plate design. If you check out one of the videos that shows it being disassembled you'll see the battery is nearly the size of the entire phone's footprint and I assume this is achieved by removing the traditional battery 'socket' that we see on a phone like the Nexus.

We may be looking at more manufacturers moving to the non-removable back plates to achieve these larger stock batteries if the Maxx becomes popular. I'm not sure if Motorola holds the patent on this thin battery tech, it looks very odd if you check out one of the videos showing it. It's almost as if the battery is flexible, but that may just be because it's so thin.

Razr's battery vs Nexus battery:

View attachment 46625View attachment 46626

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe it's the same technology the IPhone uses.

I'm not sure, the iphone battery looks about twice as thick as the Razr's:

View attachment 46628

But that just may be because the Razr has more room to spread the battery out over the phone. I'll have to do some research.

Last edited:

Syraz

Reaction score
Next will be Maxx developer edition, then the Maxx HD, then Maxx w/kitchen sink

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well now...I wonder how will RAZR Maxx ppl feel....

lol...wow Moto....I like yall phones...but this is ridiculous. Especially if it cant be applied to other phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sadly the reason the battery can be so big in the Razr Maxx while remaining thin is because of their non-removable back plate design. If you check out one of the videos that shows it being disassembled you'll see the battery is nearly the size of the entire phone's footprint and I assume this is achieved by removing the traditional battery 'socket' that we see on a phone like the Nexus.

We may be looking at more manufacturers moving to the non-removable back plates to achieve these larger stock batteries if the Maxx becomes popular. I'm not sure if Motorola holds the patent on this thin battery tech, it looks very odd if you check out one of the videos showing it. It's almost as if the battery is flexible, but that may just be because it's so thin.

Razr's battery vs Nexus battery:

View attachment 46625View attachment 46626

Your assumptions are correct. The battery is relatively flexible and therefore somewhat fragile and susceptible to damage since it's a package of sandwiched layers with polymer as a key component. Think of something not too unlike alternating layers of plastic wrap and aluminium foil with a cream paste between. As a result in order to protect the battery the "case" is actually the phone and the Kevlar back. By doing away with the traditional hard batteries and plastic case with contacts and instead utilizing the phone's case and chassis as the external protection for the soft battery internals allows the battery to essentially become an integral part of the phone.

This concept was highlighted in a Popular Science magazine of mine a number of years ago and the underlying reason was form factor. Manufacturers would typically design. The product at least partly around the battery so it limited things such as thickness. By designing the battery around the product. It allows the manufacturer to focus on other more desirable characteristics such as thickness. This RAZR is a groundbreaking design that takes full advantage of that aspect. Since the introduction of an electrically conducting polymer this concept has become a reality. Future batteries can actually wrap around the internal chassis or even be the actual physical case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your assumptions are correct. The battery is flexible since it's a package of sandwiched layers with polymer as a key component. The "case" is actually the phone and the Kevlar back. By doing away with the traditional hard batteries and plastic case with contacts and instead utilizing the phone's case and chassis as the external protection for the soft battery internals allows the battery to essentially become an integral part of the phone.

This concept was highlighted in a Popular Science magazine of mine a number of years ago and the underlying reason was form factor. Manufacturers would typically design. The product at least partly around the battery so it limited things such as thickness. By designing the battery around the product. It allows the manufacturer to focus on other more desirable characteristics such as thickness. This RAZR is a groundbreaking design that takes full advantage of that aspect. Since the introduction of an electrically conducting polymer this concept has become a reality. Future batteries can actually wrap around the internal chassis or even be the actual physical case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Very cool, that's what I was thinking after doing a bit of research.

Thanks for the info.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Lots of hate here for Moto.
Moto deserves it. I say this as a Droid 1 owner.

After the great experience I had with my D1 Id buy another Motorola
The droid 1 was not a typical Moto product. It was not polluted with their motoblur UI. It wasnt locked down like all their other products (moto had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do that...they did not want to leave it open and bloat free. It was some kind of deal they made with Google). And it actually had great hardware for it's generation. The display was better than anything else at the time.

That hasnt been true for most other Moto products IMO. Their obnoxious anti-root dogma is the main reason I pass on Moto products nowadays.