Anyone elses screen look kinda grainy sometimes?

paul1ski

Reaction score
I originally came from the OG Droid and I have just come from playing with the Rezound for 3 weeks to picking up the GNex... I am still giving the Gnex a go as I picked it up yesterday... but I have to admit the gnex screen compared to the Rezound is crap.... the rezound may not have the oversaturated colors some people like on the amoled screens but the rezound's screen is simply beautiful, clean crisp texts, accurate colors, good whites regardless of the brightness settings.

I picked up the gnex with the auto brightness on at first and thought I got a bad device it was so grainy and weird looking. Was not sure what was going on, until I tried manually changing the brightness, that makes a big deal, hopefully a custom rom can adjust the auto-brightness settings.

I had never used a sense UI before the rezound and at first was a little overwhelmed, but after a few days realized the apps were fantastic, the email, calendar, clock widgets are absolutely beautiful, the launcher transitions and if you sweep it across fast the 3d screen previews are sweet.The sound and earbuds that came w/ the rezound was also awesome and could only get better with further development.

It is taking some time to get used to Android 4.0 and I see some lag and slowdown that I didnt see in the rezound.

To be honest I am regretting switching my phones to the nexus but I will give it a few more days to be sure.

The main reasons I switched was the application support it will get from Google, the openness and development of the phone, I wanted something I could install customers roms on like my OG Droid.

The phone is also pretty big, one handed operation by anyone w/out gigantic fingers is pretty much out of the question. The phone is pretty thin which apparently most people like, I personally dont care about thinness and will probably pick up an extended battery.

If anyone has any more questions let me know.

Snow02

Reaction score
Don't mean to threadbomb but I'm really torn between the Nexus and Rezound. Color-wise the Nexus is better, but the crispness on the Rezound is outstanding. I love the build quality on the Rezound as well but there are a lot of things I don't like about sense. If there's anyone who has spend a decent amount of time with both, which do you like better screen and UX-wise?

Sent from the future using my Galaxy Nexus!

The screen really is a toss up. There's enough difference that it will be personal preference. Video and games absolutely look better on the nexus. Ironically enough, photos are better on the rezound, I think. The crispness, like you said, really shows here.

Blacks are no contest - the nexus is great. Whites definitely go to the rezound. I can take either to be honest, and I'm fairly OCD about my phone like I'm sure a lot of people here are. Just don't stare at any full screen white or grayscale images on low brightness with the nexus and you probably won't care either. People saying otherwise are just trying to find things to knock.

I thought I would miss sense. After a few days I can unequivocally say I don't. If you already don't like sense, you'll absolutely love ICS. The more you use it, the more you see how great it is. The keyboard is great, the browser overhaul is amazing (love the quick controls), multitasking is better (seems like state saving is better plus the full screen previews), and it's just fast and stable and will only get better.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
if you are rooted, I believe there is a fix for this. I didn't read much in to it, but I did see it on XDA.

Maybe worth checking in to. I can live with the graininess. Sure the colors seem to off compared to the OG, but the Gnex looks much crisper if you ask me. And with full brightness I think the GNex wins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

orion2001

Reaction score
Great posts here regarding the GN & Rezound screen. I think with the GN, there are 2 separate aspects...crispness due to pixel density and the pentile subpixel format - which really bothers me, and the overall screen size and 1280x720 resolution with all software buttons. The latter I absolutely LOVE, and is why I am going to hold off on buying a phone till the next generation of ICS phones show up and have similar resolutions and all software buttons, but hopefully with a screen closer to that of the Rezound.

With colors, I think a lot of folks really prefer the oversaturated POP that you get from AMOLED displays (nothing wrong with having that preference). I personally prefer more accurate colors and whites, so the comparitively muted colors on the Rezound are perfectly fine for me.

paul1ski - I think you are in a really difficult position. To be honest, I was very surprised by the Rezound when I went to check out the GN at a VZW store a couple of days back. I like the size, it feels really solid like my OG Droid, the screen is spectacular, great camera and pretty good hardware specs. If I personally liked Sense (maybe I would if I had the phone for a few days) and was okay with not having permanent root and ROMS, then I would probably go with the Rezound over the GN. After seeing what custom kernels and ROMs did for my OG Droid, there is no way I'm going to get a phone that cannot be rooted and ROMd. I don't trust VZW and the hardware manufacturers to support the phone beyond a few months of the release date.

As it stands, I really want a Rezound, GN hybrid, and I'm hoping that the next round of ICS phones will have one on offer that will be close enough. If not, I guess I'll get the GN then, for a much lower price.

orion2001

Reaction score
if you are rooted, I believe there is a fix for this. I didn't read much in to it, but I did see it on XDA.

Maybe worth checking in to. I can live with the graininess. Sure the colors seem to off compared to the OG, but the Gnex looks much crisper if you ask me. And with full brightness I think the GNex wins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Lol, love your screen name. How's import/export treating ya? :)

Is this really true. At least at the VZW store I went to, I was surprised that the GNexus even on max brightness didn't seem all that bright. If anything, the Rezound seemed brighter. I was always under the impression that AMOLED displays can be brighter, but at least with that particular unit, it seemed like the Rezound display was brighter. Dunno if that is the reality of the situation, or if the GN on display was defective.

Snow02

Reaction score
Lol, love your screen name. How's import/export treating ya? :)

Is this really true. At least at the VZW store I went to, I was surprised that the GNexus even on max brightness didn't seem all that bright. If anything, the Rezound seemed brighter. I was always under the impression that AMOLED displays can be brighter, but at least with that particular unit, it seemed like the Rezound display was brighter. Dunno if that is the reality of the situation, or if the GN on display was defective.

My nexus literally hurts my eyes on 100%. I can't use it. I'm running 30%.

orion2001

Reaction score
My nexus literally hurts my eyes on 100%. I can't use it. I'm running 30%.
Ah, good to know. I do remember seeing a picture of the GN vs Rezound in sunlight, and it did look fantastic. I guess I'll have to go to another store at some point and check it out.