Anyone elses screen look kinda grainy sometimes?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by OCDroid, Dec 18, 2011.

1. OCDroid

OCDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Curious, because maybe I'm just picky. It seems like the screen looks pretty awful sometimes, mostly on lighter colored stuff. Gmail looks grainy. Facebook is the same way. Sort of washed out and grainy. It used to look bright and crisp on the OG...:blink:

2. scdown

scdown Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not experiencing that, but the OG did have a pretty special screen, didn't it? (BTW - welcome to DF!)

3. ghorig

ghorig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    GNex screen is grainy when set to Auto Brightness - especially noticable when in a dark room. I've set it to half-brightness and that seems to have improved things a bit.

The OG Droid screen still beats anything out there.

4. RedTarget

RedTarget Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed it and a few of my coworkers commented on that as well. However I feel that this is status quo for pentile displays.

Give it a few days as it either improves with use or you get used to it... lol. If not the Rezound has a beautiful display.

5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +364
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    That is a Pentile display. Some people's eyes are more sensitive to it than others.

6. thehogsters

thehogsters New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im pretty shore it only the auto screen bright. If you have the brightness up no grain. I tested mine with the flash light app. When you turn the app on the screen goes full white bright. If you still see grain your screen is no good.

7. terigox

terigox Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Weird I've noticed this too. Switched to fixed brightness for now, its pretty noticeably different.... wonder what the deal is!?

Seems like after running some comparisons it just chooses really low settings for the autobrightness at least to me. Like inside with lights on, its about 25% or so on my phone.

Weird!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

8. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Garemlin already addressed the situation. It is a Pentile screen. It is a characteristic of the screen. The screen has been used on the D3, Bionic, RAZR and now the GNex. It helps the battery life, which is why its being used.

9. bmkdroid

bmkdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is grainy as well on autobrightness. Also on autobrightness at low brightness there appears to be a faint line of darker pixels going from top to bottom. Have to really look for it to notice, but I don't THINK it is that big of a deal considering i turn off autobrightness and everything is fine.

Maybe just an autobrightness bug or something?

10. OCDroid

OCDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dang. I was afraid of that. Curse you OG droid. Curse you for making all other phones look sub-par. I looked long and hard at the rezound, but the eris has spooked me on Sense. I was hoping to roll with stock for a bit. :/

I took it off auto, and its a different screen altogether. Much better. Better battery life is good, but thats a huge trade off. Ive lusted over the gnex for weeks and ive had an upgrade burning my pocket since November. I want to like this phone, and this whole screen thing keeps making me look back at the droid....

11. orion2001

orion2001 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, some of us folks are just more sensitive to it. I almost bought the GN twice, but ultimately the sub par display quality (by my unfortunately high standards) kept me back from upgrading and I'm still battling it out with my OG Droid. The OG Droid screen has really spoiled me and I just cannot bring myself to pay $200+ to upgrade to any of the newer phones with worse screens.

The Rezound screen is absolutely gorgeous though, but I didn't like the Sense UI customizations, and the phone felt a lot more stuttery than the GN or Razr.

Still, for pentile screens, the GN is the best so far. Much much better than the Razr, but still not good enough for me :(. I really hope that manufacturers move away from it in the long run. If all of them move to pentile displays, I might just be stuck with my OG for all eternity!

12. AdamDX

AdamDX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    PENTILE FTL!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Search tags for this page
android display looks grainy
display is grainy and magenta sometimes

droid 3 grainy

galaxy s3 grainy screen

galaxy s4 grainy screen