Anyone Else's Nexus Setting Off Store Anti-Theft Alarms?

pg417

Reaction score
I've noticed in the last week or so (the first time I ventured back into malls after getting this phone), that I keep setting off store alarms. No, no tags in clothes or shoes, no, not stealing things. It's only certain stores: Macy's, Ann Taylor, New York & Co, Belk. Others I walk through no problem. The only constant in the situation has been my phone. I've even been told by store workers that if I have a smartphone, particularly one with 4G, that that is what's causing it. Is this true? Is there a fix for it? It's mortifying being thought a thief.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nope. Walked into many stores and nothing.

Only thing I can think of that would set these off are NFC. I have mine turned off though.

captdroid

Reaction score
Haven't noticed or been flagged down as of yet. Sounds like a problem the stores will have to straighten out if that is happening

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My brother's old flip phone used to set off some stores' alarms. Never really figured out why.

Mayze

Reaction score
I haven't ran into anti theft alarm issues but I have ran into radar detector problems. I can't have my radar detector on when I'm in an area that has 4g. It goes off constantly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol I'll have to test this, I wonder if it's the NFC.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I've noticed in the last week or so (the first time I ventured back into malls after getting this phone), that I keep setting off store alarms. No, no tags in clothes or shoes, no, not stealing things. It's only certain stores: Macy's, Ann Taylor, New York & Co, Belk. Others I walk through no problem. The only constant in the situation has been my phone. I've even been told by store workers that if I have a smartphone, particularly one with 4G, that that is what's causing it. Is this true? Is there a fix for it? It's mortifying being thought a thief.

Happened to me at barnes and nobles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

wcjeep

Reaction score
i typically have nfc disabled. No problems yet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP, you should walk back into those stores with NFC off. You can be our experiment:D

OP
P

pg417

Reaction score
If I can find a store whose alarm I set off with a tolerant enough sales staff, I will be happy to conduct experiments.

DHO

Reaction score
Tag, I would like to know the outcome

Also Mayze what radar detector? I have not had an issue with my cobra or Bel RX65,... they are both very sensitive buggers.